Main Menu

prog 2376: Wild justice

Started by The Monarch, 30 March, 2024, 03:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

I'm all for different interpretations and artists putting their own spin on Dredd, but at least keep it consistant.

Dredd's bits and bobs including his helmet keeps changing shape and size throughout and that dead chicken on his shoulder reminds me of when they nailed poultry to Judge Death in Judgement on Gotham.

Am I allowed to think this is pretty awful?

Barrington Boots

I agree, the shoulder isn't my favourite version of it.. I'm not a fan of the tiny little badges or the Stallone-esque helmet personally either, but no real problem with the artist making it their own.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

Weird cookie-related problems yesterday meant I couldn't log in. @IndigoPrime that's why you've got an email from me requesting authorisation to set up another account. Seems to be okay now though, so I guess I don't need to bother. Anyway...

Galvanised by last week's gripping prologue I woke this morning (now yesterday morning) positively slavering at the prospect of reading 'Rend & Tear with Tooth & Claw' and I'm relieved to say, I wasn't disappointed. To think it wasn't so long ago we were reading 'End of Days' wondering if the Williams droid's best Dredd tales were behind it (hang on, that was four years ago? How did that happen?). Well as the old football saying goes, Clive, form is temporary, class is permanent - and there's plenty of class on display as this tale comes out swingin' straight from the bell, literally serving up blood and guts. There's hardly time to catch a breath as we're whisked through seven pages of exploding heads, gory transfixings and giant mutant bear action, all gorgeously rendered by RM Guera who as far as I'm concerned can draw as many tiny eagle heads as he likes as long as he carries on giving us hideous radland bandits, flying brains and yes, those amazing fishbowl helmets. Great (belated) cover too.

Ah. Thought I'd copied the entire text from my abortive attempt yesterday. Turns out I only saved the bit on Dredd. Oh well... in summary:

'Antumnos' was bloody brilliant, surprised others weren't so keen. Clearly angling for a full run but I'm all for it. Full Tilt Boogie was a refreshing palate-cleanser and Indigo Prime a delightful amuse-bouche before the sweet arrival of Proteus Vex and its mouth-watering tart. Only the canned Pineapples on the final page left a bad taste.

Swerty

I quite like the art on Dredd.Its one of the main reasons I picked up this weeks prog.I tend to dip in and out.I can see the faults but there's something about it.

IndigoPrime

@Norton: Weirdly, I didn't get that email. Although it's worth noting that when the forum does this, admins can't get in either, from what I can tell. (I certainly can't.)

nxylas

I agree that the Terror Tale felt like a backdoor pilot. And did they have to call the mysterious organisation Herne, when we already have the Herne and Shuck stories?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JudgeJudi

Is this the first time the judge helmets have been drawn with a strap?

Vector14

I also really like the art on Dredd! I wouldn't be happy if everyone started drawing Dredd like that but it's good for a change. I like to see artists putting their own spin on the Judges.

Richard

Yes 2000AD is immeasurably better for not imposing a house style.

norton canes

Grush

Yay for Proteus Vex , excellent and weird and ridiculous and intriguing like it always is. Boo for Indigo Prime which is none of those things, like Kek-W always isn't

Also enjoying Full Tilt Boogie a lot and wouldn't complain about further stories around that Terror Tale. Definitely the Dredd cover for last week though.

Funt Solo

Quote from: norton canes on 04 April, 2024, 11:04:39 PMI feel this is pertinent...

I'm noticing that Belardinelli just gave up on the Lawgiver altogether and went with the finger gun instead.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

A.Cow

Quote from: norton canes on 04 April, 2024, 11:17:12 AMThere's hardly time to catch a breath as we're whisked through seven pages of exploding heads, gory transfixings and giant mutant bear action, all gorgeously rendered by RM Guera who as far as I'm concerned can draw as many tiny eagle heads as he likes as long as he carries on giving us hideous radland bandits, flying brains and yes, those amazing fishbowl helmets.

Forget the uniform quibbles.  My big problem with this story is that Dredd & Moon are only alive by sheer luck, while everybody around them are being slaughtered.  And the Deus ex machina bear thing?  Surely this could have been foreshadowed to explain its presence, e.g., "Thankfully we haven't run into any of this region's mutant bears..."

So far, this feels a little like Michael Carroll's (below-par for him) The Shroud.  Or, worse still, Grant Morrison's Crusade.

Funt Solo

Quote from: A.Cow on 05 April, 2024, 02:37:00 AMAnd the Deus ex machina bear thing?  Surely this could have been foreshadowed to explain its presence, e.g., "Thankfully we haven't run into any of this region's mutant bears..."

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quaequam Blag! It's an in the pipe, five-by-five prog-a-licious thrill-fest!

I mean, sure, the cover should've been on last week's Dredd, so Tharg should be letting Mek-Quake give him a bit of a spanking, but - on the other hand - that makes this prog special. It's a good cover (to last week's prog).

Judge Dredd
Who can argue with vomiting blood, sniper-fodder, death-by-chillbilly, OH FUCK IT'S A GIANT MUTANT BEAR! Well, some of you, clearly. But I liked it - Dredd's mission is a shit show. I want to know why he's out there, though. Last week, we saw a map to northern Scandinavia. This week, Dredd's been shot down in the Northern Radlands. Where is that? What's his mission, anyway? Looks like it's just going to be Moon and Dredd.

Otherwise, for this prog, I'm with Norton Canes block.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++