General Chat > Help!

Rebellion and Rights to Eagle Strips

<< < (2/8) > >>

SmallBlueThing(Reborn):
Not sure how I missed him in the special, and thanks. I must have reading with my eyes closed.
And yes, while I have bugger all interest in Dan Dare in any of his incarnations- beyond a vague nostalgia for the early New Eagle strips- Doomlord is so deserving of a massive hardback (and a relaunch in the prog or Regened, with modern photo strips designed by Clint Langley) it hurts that they arent available.

SBT

Professor Bear:

--- Quote from: Richard on 11 September, 2020, 01:34:02 PM ---Why can't the Dan Dare Corporation just keep Dan Dare and sell everything else? It's not as if they're doing anything with Doomlord and Bloodfang.

--- End quote ---

I'm just guessing, but Dan Dare stories often started on the covers of Eagle and continued inside, so to fully own all the Dan Dare story pages, DDC would have had to buy the rights to the Eagle logo and any characters that appeared on montage covers alongside Dare, so they may not be doing anything with them, but they still need to retain ownership to do anything with the pages they share with Dan Dare.  I gather from comments from those who've had direct dealings with them that DDC - a husband and wife team - are at best ambivalent towards the other Eagle characters, and don't want to dilute their business model.

It's a damn shame, as one of my all-time fave artists, Jose Ortiz, was pretty much a permanent fixture in the New Eagle for about 7 years on various strips, and we'll never see collections of that work - or Alan Hebden, Carlos Ezquerra and Mike Dorey's Comrade Bronski, which admittedly wasn't the greatest strip ever, but if you don't want to own a graphic novel that answers the question "what would Dirty Harry be like if he looked like a member of the Human League, drove everywhere in a dune buggy, and fought the KGB in Cold War-era Moscow?", then buddy, you and I are very different people.

The Amstor Computer:

--- Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 September, 2020, 03:22:45 PM ---It's a damn shame, as one of my all-time fave artists, Jose Ortiz, was pretty much a permanent fixture in the New Eagle for about 7 years on various strips, and we'll never see collections of that work - or Alan Hebden, Carlos Ezquerra and Mike Dorey's Comrade Bronski, which admittedly wasn't the greatest strip ever, but if you don't want to own a graphic novel that answers the question "what would Dirty Harry be like if he looked like a member of the Human League, drove everywhere in a dune buggy, and fought the KGB in Cold War-era Moscow?", then buddy, you and I are very different people.

--- End quote ---

Both The Tower King and House of Daemon were collected by Hibernia (Tower King even got a limited second printing) and we managed to squeeze a bit of Comrade Bronski into the Eagle Adventure Special a few years back  :) That other New Eagle stuff hasn't appeared yet is very much not down to lack of interest in reprinting it (or a lack of interest from potential readers).

It's a real shame, as there are some gems in New Eagle aside from the extended run Ian Kennedy had on Dare - the aforementioned Doomlord and Bloodfang, but even stuff like Manix (particularly the Hitler storyline) is good, pulpy fun and would be worth collecting.

broodblik:
I can remember Manix. I enjoyed at the time and for me the art was quite good as well. Would like a collection with Doomlord and Bloodfang

Woolly:
I want to say "DDC should just sell the rights to Doomlord and be done with it", but I can't back that up with anything even close to actual financial advice!

Would it be in their interests to do so? I'm hoping a better informed squaxx can answer this one!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version