Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Sorry, a hard cover doesn't make it 'special' just more expensive. There must be more to it than that...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dash Decent on 10 January, 2014, 12:53:43 PM

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply and the Rebellion publishing catalogue for 2014:

I think that's the second time you've won me at the Internet this week!

dweezil2

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 10 January, 2014, 01:20:42 PM
Now we need to know what's so special about it...

Didn't I read that Dan Abnett was signing a limited amount of copies?

Probably one of them.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2014, 08:16:35 AM
I'd like to offer my vote against Sauchie's hypothetical scheme, please.  'Events' are only interesting when they deviate from the normal course of things, and having regular cycles of stories grouped around a 'major' story takes away from the everyday craziness that should be the heart of the strip. 

That said, biannual collections under a title that suggests a cohesiveness of period is a great idea: I just don't personally want to see writers writing to that kind of brief (Day of Chaos follow-ons being an exception, since it's really the only game in town).

Eek! Not my scheme, just me trying to divine the will and the ways of the gods from spilt entrails, Cathbad style. I agree completely, but it seems like it would make financial sense to have a new collection hitting the shelves alongside vintage Case Files once or twice per year, rather than waiting for revenue from trade paperbacks of the EVENT! stories, which - by their nature - have to be rationed to retain their unique appeal.

The comments above from Johnny Depp's dad seem to indicate that's not the case, though.

IndigoPrime

"This is the same size as the sell-out hardback Volgan War series!"

But over three times the thickness and yet only double the cost (and about the same as buying two colour softback volumes at somewhat discounted rates).

This could be a really good format for Rebellion to pursue. Now imagine if they reprinted Nikolai Dante like that! *drool*

James Stacey

Dante is the obvious candidate for this. Well. Obvious to me.

IronGraham

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 January, 2014, 05:54:41 PM

But over three times the thickness and yet only double the cost (and about the same as buying two colour softback volumes at somewhat discounted rates).

This could be a really good format for Rebellion to pursue. Now imagine if they reprinted Nikolai Dante like that! *drool*

Oh please don't tease me
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Dark Jimbo

I didn't buy the Volgan War hardbacks because they only reprinted one 'book' per trade, which is a ridiculous and expensive way to do it. I'd love to think that come Book 4 (or so) of this series, when it's time to reprint Volgan War again, they stick at least two books under each cover. Hell, you could stick the entirety of it under one cover and it'd only be slightly bigger than these buggers!

And yes, this would be a great format to pursue via other series!
@jamesfeistdraws

Dash Decent

There's a fair few hardbacks lined up for 2014.  Perhaps Rebellion have found a more cost effective way of publishing in hard cover, or realised the appeal?  It certainly looks like something we'll see more of in the future. 
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 January, 2014, 10:14:42 PM

My thoughts exactly.
I didn't buy the Volgan War hardbacks because they only reprinted one 'book' per trade, which is a ridiculous and expensive way to do it. I'd love to think that come Book 4 (or so) of this series, when it's time to reprint Volgan War again, they stick at least two books under each cover. Hell, you could stick the entirety of it under one cover and it'd only be slightly bigger than these buggers!

And yes, this would be a great format to pursue via other series!

Dark Jimbo

It's just a shame, given that a new printing of Ro-Busters is on the cards, that it isn't also a hardback - it'd go very nicely with these 'Mek-Files books', and presenting the Starlord stuff in colour would help perk it up no end.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 January, 2014, 12:46:23 PM
It's just a shame, given that a new printing of Ro-Busters is on the cards, that it isn't also a hardback - it'd go very nicely with these 'Mek-Files books', and presenting the Starlord stuff in colour would help perk it up no end.

Why do you say such things.  Now I can think of nothing else.

Hawkmumbler

This thread is often my source of what I like to call The Anti-Silver Lining Effect. See. Yoincks followed Closely By Bah!

Dark Jimbo

Something like this would be great, assuming they stick to the 'two books per volume':

1 - Meknificent Seven & Black Hole
2 - Khronicles of Khaos & Hellbringer
3 - Third Element & Shadow Warriors I
4 - Shadow Warriors II & III
5 - Volgan War I &II
6 - Volgan War III & IV
7 - Return to Earth & Return to Mars

Plus of course a matching book of Ro-Busters and a couple for Nemesis.  ;)
@jamesfeistdraws