Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 February, 2021, 12:43:49 PM

Just started Black Sails on the advice of this thread. I'm struggling to engage with it at the moment but I believe it improves so I'll stick with it.

Just start shouting Tits Ahoy! every time a pair hoves into view - makes for quite a jolly (roger) viewing experience.  Just finished season two and the pace of this show is breathtaking - really enjoying it, so thanks for all the recommendations of this!

TordelBack

It's a long time since I read Treasure Island so I might dig out a copy and re-read that before I crack on.

Do!  It's surprisingly great.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2021, 01:15:52 PM
It's a long time since I read Treasure Island so I might dig out a copy and re-read that before I crack on.

Do!  It's surprisingly great.

I read it to the boy child (8 at the time) and aside from the language making it a little tricky to read out loud we both enjoyed it a lot. The version we read had a glossary which was very useful!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 02 February, 2021, 11:28:30 AM
Darn it! Need to watch the film now.

It's fab. RIGHT STUFF followed by FIRST MAN followed by APOLLO 13. There is a grand night in.

Then listen to Race for Space by Public Service Broadcasting.

But don't read anything about what really happened in the Challenger disaster.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 February, 2021, 04:43:22 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 02 February, 2021, 11:28:30 AM
Darn it! Need to watch the film now.

It's fab. RIGHT STUFF followed by FIRST MAN followed by APOLLO 13. There is a grand night in.

Then listen to Race for Space by Public Service Broadcasting.

But don't read anything about what really happened in the Challenger disaster.

I endorse every word of this post. Have done Item 1 twice now, it's a sublime trilogy.

The Legendary Shark

You could add Apollo 18 for a suitably creepy finale before bed.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

I'd throw in "From the Earth to the Moon"  the Tom Hanks produced series about the Apollo program from HBO.  Some cracking episodes.  My personal favourite is "Spider" that details the development of the Lunar Lander.

The Legendary Shark

Up to the fifth episode of the first series of Black Sails now and it's finally started pulling me in. Thanks, hivemind!

(I didn't know whether to chuckle or frown when I spotted in the credits, "MELISSA HAIDEN..........as Distressed Whore," so decided to frown on the outside and chuckle way down in the darkest recesses of my lizard brain while the rest of me tuts at it.)

Think I'll read the book after the series.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Up to the fifth episode of the first series of Black Sails now and it's finally started pulling me in. Thanks, hivemind!

(I didn't know whether to chuckle or frown when I spotted in the credits, "MELISSA HAIDEN..........as Distressed Whore," so decided to frown on the outside and chuckle way down in the darkest recesses of my lizard brain while the rest of me tuts at it.)

Think I'll read the book after the series.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Watching French horror series Marianne on Netflix this week, and am about halfway through the 1st  (and presumably only) season.

There is a lot to like here - wonderful moments of inventive horror and a basically solid, if familiar, premise.

What's doing me head in are the main cast - lead actress Victoire du Bois is immensely - immensely - unlikable.
I get that may have something to do with the "damaged cliche" character she's portraying, but I dunno.

Most of the supporting cast are equally crap, to the point where I now find myself rooting for the titular demon bride.

With a slightly harder edge, more even tone and better casting choices this could have been better than The Haunting of Hill House.

C'est La Vie.

TordelBack

Dunno who here is enjoying WandaVision (I suppose it depends on your tolerance for over-engineered corporate smugness masquerading as creativity (my own threshold is alarmingly high)), but this week (Episode 5) they tried the meta-gag to beat all meta-gags.

It'd be entirely appropriate if a retro-sitcom-themed show jumped the shark, but I'm hoping this trick works. It's been an enjoyable weekly event (my daughter in particular loves it) and an interesting way to create an epilogue to Endgame and indeed what I assume is a bridge between the MCU's Phases 3 and 4.

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 February, 2021, 07:58:26 PM
Dunno who here is enjoying WandaVision (I suppose it depends on your tolerance for over-engineered corporate smugness masquerading as creativity (my own threshold is alarmingly high)), but this week (Episode 5) they tried the meta-gag to beat all meta-gags.

It'd be entirely appropriate if a retro-sitcom-themed show jumped the shark, but I'm hoping this trick works. It's been an enjoyable weekly event (my daughter in particular loves it) and an interesting way to create an epilogue to Endgame and indeed what I assume is a bridge between the MCU's Phases 3 and 4.

Loving WandaVision, and just saw the latest episode.

If you haven't seen the episode, don't check my spoiler (unless you don't mind, obviously):[spoiler]Considering what happened at the end of the episode, will Wanda be the catalyst for bridging a couple of Marvel cinematic universes? I thought that character might turn up but not *that* version! Brilliant![/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

And that's me at the end of BLACK SAILS. What a satisfying end to it all.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 February, 2021, 10:17:26 PM
And that's me at the end of BLACK SAILS. What a satisfying end to it all.

Yep. I really thought they stuck the landing on this one, which is one of the reasons why I rate this in recent(ish) TV series. Four or five iffy episodes right at the start aside, this is one of my favourite series in the last ten years by a comfortable margin.

(Also, one of the best theme tunes/title sequences outside of Game of Thrones I can think of...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Toby Stephens was just magnificent throughout but the last couple of episodes in particular. The final stand off between him and Silver was packed with solid character driven motivation and both outcomes utterly logical and not at all contrived.