Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

I'm sticking with Wandavision but it's so smug and slick.  I know it's trying to be interesting but it's like EA making an 'indie' game or Bon Jovi trying to be punk.  It doesn't help that it seems to rely on you knowing the comics and it's really annoying for doing the post-credit thing too.   But it's not boring and it's quite short.  So it's low effort at least.

My current sitcom binge is Superstore which is on Netflix now and has a bunch of seasons.  It's just Brooklyn 99/Parks and Rec/Community/30 Rock:  Supermarket Edition but it's enjoyable for now.  I expect it to tail off like most US comedies.

Still enjoying The Flight Attendant.  I'm making slow progress with it but it is good.

wedgeski

Quote from: repoman on 03 March, 2021, 04:53:36 PM
I'm sticking with Wandavision but it's so smug and slick.  I know it's trying to be interesting but it's like EA making an 'indie' game or Bon Jovi trying to be punk.
Wot?

QuoteIt doesn't help that it seems to rely on you knowing the comics
It doesn't. I don't.

Quoteand it's really annoying for doing the post-credit thing too.
Agreed! Especially since the credits are so loooooong.

von Boom

I've set myself up for massive disappointment yet again by starting Firefly over. No matter how many times I put the discs in, I can never find the sooper-sekret season 2 easter egg.

wedgeski

Quote from: von Boom on 03 March, 2021, 07:58:29 PM
I've set myself up for massive disappointment yet again by starting Firefly over. No matter how many times I put the discs in, I can never find the sooper-sekret season 2 easter egg.
Yup, I can only do that to myself so many times. :(

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 03 March, 2021, 07:58:29 PM

Just started watching this with the Boy. I thought his Expanse-jaded eyes would reject its early-2000s cowboy stylings, but no, he fell for it right from the off. Haven't seen him as enthusiastic about anything I've pushed on him since Dredd.

*As an aside, it's hard to watch this without a unpleasant gloss of Whedon revelations. It's not really spoiling my enjoyment, but it is making me think about what I'm watching.

pictsy

I never quite saw the fuss over Firefly.  I had caught Serenity by accident and heard all this hype about this amazing sci-fi show that was unfairly cancelled and it was the best thing ever etc. etc.

Then I watched it.

This was before I was better at managing my expectations.

Speaking of managing expectations, B5 Season 5 is turning out to be... bad.  I'm approaching the end of it and I'll be glad when it's done.  I'll possibly have some things to write about when I can reflect on the series in its entirety, but Season 5 is the worst of the Seasons and by a large margin.  It's almost like different people were involved in making it.  Londo and G'kar are the highlights and remain good, but I'm not entirely convinced by G'kar's character development.  I dunno, it's just so sloppy.

Tjm86

Quote from: pictsy on 03 March, 2021, 11:54:57 PM
Speaking of managing expectations, B5 Season 5 is turning out to be... bad.  I'm approaching the end of it and I'll be glad when it's done.  I'll possibly have some things to write about when I can reflect on the series in its entirety, but Season 5 is the worst of the Seasons and by a large margin.  It's almost like different people were involved in making it.

It's hardly surprising.  Season 5 was an afterthought when the powers that be decided not to cancel at the end of Season 4 after all.  The original story arc was supposed to be 5 years long (IIRC) but when it looked like season 4 was definitely going to be it everything was slammed together.

The the reprieve ...  I can just imagine the creative team's response .."Are you kidding me ???? Are you F******* KIDDING ME !!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!"

What I would say is that if you don't enjoy season 5 that much then you might want to consider whether you really want to chance Crusade ...

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2021, 09:54:09 PM
*As an aside, it's hard to watch this without a unpleasant gloss of Whedon revelations. It's not really spoiling my enjoyment, but it is making me think about what I'm watching.
Yes, it does take a bit of the gloss off, but I haven't heard any reactions from the Firefly cast or crew about Whedon's behaviour.*

*Not to say there aren't issues occurring on that show as well, I just haven't come across them. Yet.

pictsy

Quote from: Tjm86 on 04 March, 2021, 01:36:50 PM

It's hardly surprising.  Season 5 was an afterthought when the powers that be decided not to cancel at the end of Season 4 after all.  The original story arc was supposed to be 5 years long (IIRC) but when it looked like season 4 was definitely going to be it everything was slammed together.

The the reprieve ...  I can just imagine the creative team's response .."Are you kidding me ???? Are you F******* KIDDING ME !!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!"

Even knowing this going into the season and having no adverse memories from the last time I watched it, I was still surprised in the drop in quality and it's not just the clear lack of ideas.  There was stuff left over from Season 4 that could be tied up, and they kinda did in Season 5.  Where S4 was rushed S5 is just sloppy.

What I would say is that if you don't enjoy season 5 that much then you might want to consider whether you really want to chance Crusade ...

I don't think I had any intention of watching Crusade.  I remember it being awful.

Woolly

Quote from: repoman on 03 March, 2021, 04:53:36 PM
I'm sticking with Wandavision but it's so smug and slick.  I know it's trying to be interesting but it's like EA making an 'indie' game or Bon Jovi trying to be punk.  It doesn't help that it seems to rely on you knowing the comics and it's really annoying for doing the post-credit thing too.   But it's not boring and it's quite short.  So it's low effort at least.

I must say that I'm finding WandaVision to be among some of the best telly I've watched in recent years. I really didn't have a clue what to expect at the start, and I'm not familiar with the comics, but to watch a series that has clearly been properly planned out beforehand is absolute bliss these days!
It's lovingly created journey through american sitcom history has been a joy to behold, and Elizabeth Olsen deserves some kind of award for her part. To be able to play the same character in multiple iterations so convincingly is quite jaw-dropping to watch.

Ok, it's revelations aren't quite as clever as it thinks they are, but that's missing the point. The Marvel output is more about having a great journey than reaching a great conclusion (the illusion of change, and all that) and this is delivering in spades!

Last episode tomorrow - can't wait! :)

Bolt-01

I made the mistake of persevering with 'Raised By Wolves'...

Sweet Jovus it was awful.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 March, 2021, 03:44:37 PM

Starts off... sort of interesting, or holding out the promise of becoming interesting, but proceeds to become both less interesting, and make less and less sense, until you get to the last couple of episodes which I sat through out of nothing more than bloody-mindedness and... yeah. Awful.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

Yeah, I'm enduring that while at the same time trying to ration out the last episodes of Black sails (only 2 more to go as of today) and really enjoying the Expanse (S2 ep01), Discovery (S3 ep05) and The Witch (Ep08).

My youngest keeps urging me to watch Sons of Anarchy next, but it is seven seasons...

Link Prime

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 March, 2021, 04:04:19 PM
My youngest keeps urging me to watch Sons of Anarchy next, but it is seven seasons...

It's fairly addictive Bolt.
In the days before streaming / stable broadband in rural Ireland I used to buy the Blu-ray box-sets every year. They never lasted a full weekend.

Rara Avis

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 March, 2021, 03:53:06 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 March, 2021, 03:44:37 PM

Starts off... sort of interesting, or holding out the promise of becoming interesting, but proceeds to become both less interesting, and make less and less sense, until you get to the last couple of episodes which I sat through out of nothing more than bloody-mindedness and... yeah. Awful.

So glad to hear you say this - I thought it was just dreadful - really all over the shop.

Ridley Scott has completely run out of ideas - he's just plagiarising his older works over and over again.