Main Menu

sequel?

Started by sharkeyfinn, 18 January, 2013, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I don't think it makes any odds. Even if Dredd somehow made $50m in Japan, the dreadful US box office performance isn't going to convince anyone to make a sequel. Possibly, an insane box office in Japan combined with huge home release sales elsewhere could give the powers that be second thoughts; more likely, though, is another few million for the pot from Japan, and 'burst' sales for the home releases, with a fairly long tail, at a lower sales rate. I'd dearly love to see a dozen Dredd movies in this continuity, especially with everyone on board (at the very least, Urban, Garland, Wagner, Mantle, Leonard-Morgan and, if she's required in the story, Thirlby), but I'll be amazed (if extremely happy) if we even get one.

mididoctors

I cannot see how the DJs could fit into this reading of mega city myself. would be an incongruous mistake.

academic I guess

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 January, 2013, 10:18:12 AM
I'd dearly love to see a dozen Dredd movies in this continuity

Not that's reaching.

opaque

In 'movie' form yes, but other formats it could happen.

hippynumber1

Quote from: mididoctors on 20 January, 2013, 03:48:47 PM
I cannot see how the DJs could fit into this reading of mega city myself. would be an incongruous mistake.

academic I guess

My guess would be Death would have featured alone and he'd have been a mutie - the concelt was introduced in the first movie and it wouldn't be much of a stretch for one of them to be psychotic. Remove the 'super-powers' and it suddenly becomes a lot more visceral and disturbing...

mididoctors

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 January, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
Quote from: mididoctors on 20 January, 2013, 03:48:47 PM

academic I guess

My guess would be Death would have featured alone and he'd have been a mutie - the concelt was introduced in the first movie and it wouldn't be much of a stretch for one of them to be psychotic. Remove the 'super-powers' and it suddenly becomes a lot more visceral and disturbing...

that would make him a jokeresque style character... yeah it could work but I still think they would (have been?) be[tter] off with the mega rackets /democracy/ chopperesque stories..

both chopper the scrawler and sky surfer could work really well

strontium71

Although I'd love a sequel , obviously - I would love it if a strip in the Meg was given over to this Dredd-verse so we can at least see the further stories that weren't to be. And at least we can see the film uniform at last being used in a Dredd strip.
...because I hate you.

judda fett

Quote from: strontium71 on 20 January, 2013, 06:44:41 PM
Although I'd love a sequel , obviously - I would love it if a strip in the Meg was given over to this Dredd-verse so we can at least see the further stories that weren't to be. And at least we can see the film uniform at last being used in a Dredd strip.

Yeah that'd be good. Definately like to see more after the prequel strip.

strontium71

If we all scream loud enough for it , would anyone hear?
...because I hate you.

judge macbrayne

Do you think there would be any chance of a tv series.?
:)

captain_skank

Well as a personal observation, my local sainsburys completely sold out of dredd dvd's by Wednesday.

So maybe dvd sales are quite good and will justify a straight to dvd sequel.

Incidentaly, according to imdb dredd cost 50 million to make and only grossed 32million (dollars) so we're all going to have to buy a lot more dvd's :)
Gaze into the fist of DREDD

IndigoPrime

The budgets are all over the place, but there were, apparently, spurious figures mentioned in order to secure further investment. Those directly involved with the film have said around $35m was how much it cost. To break even, movies typically require income at least double the production budget. Coupled with its box-office failure in the US, I imagine you're need at least $40m–50m in shiny disc sales and rentals for someone to even consider the possibility of perhaps maybe making another Dredd film. To say that's unlikely is putting it mildly.

radiator

You have to wonder if someone somewhere is looking at Dredd's DVD sales and rising, slow burn cult status and thinking about that TV show idea.

HBO have done War, Westerns, Horror, Crime Drama and even Fantasy - they MUST be actively looking at Sci Fi properties.

Ideally the film would act as the pilot, and supernatural elements would be kept to the fringes, in a similar way to Game of Thrones.

Yeah, probably even less likely than a cinematic adaptation, I know!

Eme

sadly saying this, but...
Dredd vs Aliens crossover would do it for a sequal for decent america takings and get Dredd more familiar...
and could probably merge democracy and machismo issues together into one concept, but also tag on ' but we need to use the robots in this case' conflict..

Andrew_J

The tone of the film would translate really well to a TV series: gritty, low-tech, character based drama. I'd love to see that show.

Although the fact that all of the props are being flogged off in the PropStore auction at the end of the month looks like the final nail in the coffin of a sequel.