Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid - QUARTERS - Carlos Ezquerra or Kev O’Neill

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 January, 2021, 06:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 January, 2021, 07:35:15 AM
I have to give it to Carlos for the sheer breadth and longevity of his work. It's not just Dredd and Stront, but the Stainless Steel Rat, Al's Baby, Fiends of the Eastern Front, Cursed Earth Koburn, Spector and many more.

Well said!

DrJomster

Carlos for me. If anything more for Strontium Dog than for Dredd. A wonderful artist.

Kevin is obviously a legend as well though. You can't deny that.

Perhaps there should be a rule for these knockout comps... if you win one year, you can't be included the next... that should lead to Carlos only winning every second year...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

sixmo

Holy sneck! I can't bring myself to vote against either of these two titans, but I am going to vote for one of them.

Very difficult to even compare the two styles. I've been trying to do some imaginary artist swaps on their greatest works, but I think, uniquely, that neither could do what the other did. Both utterly essential to 2000AD, and yet so different.

Ezquerra has perfect storytelling, layout, and action. Totally authoritive and definitive on Dredd *and* Strontium Dog. O'Neill is crazy spiky alien imagination gone wild. His Nemesis work is mind blowing.

In the early 2000s there were two hardback b+w editions of the Apocalypse War and Nemesis books 1-3 that I was desperate to buy. The only way I can split these two maestros is to pick the book I ordered first: Kevin O'Neill's Nemesis.

O'Neill is my choice today.

TordelBack

I love, love, love O'Neill, I will instantly buy literally anything he touches with the twisted implements of his art. I maintain that Nemesis balancing on a thrown spear in Book III  was the first time I noticed that comics art was something more than cool pictures illustrating a story, in the manner of Count Curly Wee or Rupert, but something in and of itself that you could just stare at for hours.

But Carlos Ezquerra is everything.

Barrington Boots

Kev's work rightly getting platitudes here but Carlos is king.

Nothing else I can say in praise of it that hasn't already been said really, his art embodies 2000AD for me and my love for it is deep and enduring. My vote is for Carlos please Colin.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

There are quite a few times during Colin's tourneys where I don't mind at all if my choice doesn't win.  This is definitely one of them (I picked Kev, and felt like a right bastard for doing so).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Last day of this final before the final (maybe). If you want to change the result, or just celebrate the magnificent artists here get your vote in today and I'll announce the winner in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well is that the tournament. I kinda thought Carlos would ge this one - though see my predictions thus far! - but didn't quite see this margin. Its not that the magnificent and terrifying Kev O'Neill didn't get plenty of votes - he'd have have got mine - he did. Still though our King ran away with the popular vote.

When we started this this someone said shouldn't I exclude Carlos the way I had John W  for the writers tourney otherwise it'd be a forgone conclusion. I though 'Nah this is art - we all love Carlos, but art is so subjective it won't be clear cut... hmmm

Carlos Ezquerra

Into the semis - of course