Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid - 3rd Place Play-off - Simon Fraser or Simon Davis

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 February, 2021, 06:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 09 February, 2021, 09:09:17 AM
simon davis - a joy to look at his art for hours and hours

Agreed.  And I've just realised that a de-aged Richard E Grant will be playing Ampney Crucis whenever they make the movie.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

DrJomster

Davis, for the reasons the people above said*.

* well, the ones who voted Davis anyway....

Ps. Fraser is excellent too of course.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

Last call for this one as we head towards the final votes. I'll be counting this one up in the morning.

sixmo

I still can't figure out what Simon Davis is doing to piece together the images he graces us with. The parts don't look like they can possibly add up to the images we see. It is quite wonderful. However, I'm going to vote for Simon Fraser as I really enjoy his storytelling and the emotions he can convey.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Arhhh damn ya, damn ya eyes, this one was close, well more than close. Both artists have once again drawn so much well deserved praise. Both have lead strips than really helped redefine 2000ad and steady the ship as the comic was rebuilt in the 90s.

In the end it was a tie with a late surge in votes for Simon Fraser, only the second tie of the whole tournament and this one comes down to me. I'd be very tempted to leave it as a tie on the basis that there is no next round BUT alas there is - kinda and I was just planning a little bonus event yesterday that means I need to place these folks and so on that basis I will. But its as close as the result suggests.

In the end Simon Davis' glorious painted style has the more immediate appeal. If you've every seen him 'sketch' at a con its quite a wonder to behold the way he's mastered the use of paints and brush to define form and character and as I mention earlier we're very lucky to have him in the Prog at all given what a respected portrait artist he is - and sometime it seems like each panel is a perfect portrait.

In the end though I think Simon Fraser has a dynamic punch and an ability to define world and character just as well as Simon Davis. A more 'traditional' style but no less powerful. In the end it simply came down to how much I adore Simon Fraser's ability to do a glorious cityscape as the tiny margin available to call this on. I'm a sucker for a good cityscape and Simon Fraser is an underappreciated master of the very specifc subform of sci-fi future architecture and on that basis I find a way to call

Simon Fraser

the 3rd placed artist.

broodblik

It almost look like if you want to be a great artist you have to change your name to Simon. This is one of those round where I did not mind whom won both are excellent
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.