Main Menu

Dredd Alert Blog

Started by davidblack, 02 January, 2013, 12:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: davidblack on 22 January, 2013, 06:50:47 PM
Still going with 'The Comic Pusher': http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/judge-dredd-comic-pusher.html

"Dredd goes on to think "After one or two, kids get so they can't give them up, then the price goes up and up..." Ironically, this appears in a strip featured in the last prog to cost 8 pence Earth money. From the next week the price did indeed go up by one penny..."

Priceless observation, Captain Black. Thanks for the reminder, there's enough of your blog to merit a decent read-through of the stuff I've missed so far.

davidblack

Quote from: sauchie on 25 January, 2013, 07:01:41 PM
Quote from: davidblack on 22 January, 2013, 06:50:47 PM
Still going with 'The Comic Pusher': http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/judge-dredd-comic-pusher.html

"Dredd goes on to think "After one or two, kids get so they can't give them up, then the price goes up and up..." Ironically, this appears in a strip featured in the last prog to cost 8 pence Earth money. From the next week the price did indeed go up by one penny..."

Priceless observation, Captain Black. Thanks for the reminder, there's enough of your blog to merit a decent read-through of the stuff I've missed so far.

Thanks, I'm up to The Wreath Murders:
http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/judge-dredd-wreath-murders.html

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie on 25 January, 2013, 07:01:41 PM

That's how Tharg gets ya, alright. My first prog was £1.40. Here I am, over twelve years later, paying £2.35 like a grade-A chump! Addiction's a terrible thing.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

David the truly amazing thing about you're Blog is the way it seems to be bending time. I caught up a while ago and since then have been going in everyday (I'm sure) and reading the latest post. Yet half the time I go in there are three or four to catch up with.

My only conclusion, cos of course it can't be muddle headedness on my part, is that your blog bends time. That's a pretty cool achievement!

Dark Jimbo

Those early prog covers are really interesting. They don't bear any relation to the stories inside, do they?
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 January, 2013, 03:25:15 PM
Those early prog covers are really interesting. They don't bear any relation to the stories inside, do they?

I was thinking that might have been due to this being the early days of the comic, when Mills & Co hadn't built up a reserve of material and had to print whatever was ready, but they were still at it by the time my own collection of back issues begins (127). I suppose if you've got someone like Bolland sending you covers like that you don't mind if it has nothing to do with Mach 1.

I'm struck by how much Rookie Giant's final assessment in the story which david's blog discusses has influenced Alex Garland's portrayal of Rookie Anderson's final assessment in the film. I'm trying to remember if Giant loses his primary weapon ...

simontm

Quote from: sauchie on 29 January, 2013, 08:35:43 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 January, 2013, 03:25:15 PM

I was thinking that might have been due to this being the early days of the comic, when Mills & Co hadn't built up a reserve of material and had to print whatever was ready, but they were still at it by the time my own collection of back issues begins (127). I suppose if you've got someone like Bolland sending you covers like that you don't mind if it has nothing to do with Mach 1.

According to Brian Bolland in The Art of Brian Bolland the editors weren't sure which interior characters would sell the comic best by being on the cover so they got the likes of Brian to come up with cover ideas, draw them then the editors would write a one-page text story based on it to go inside. 

davidblack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 January, 2013, 01:26:29 PM
David the truly amazing thing about you're Blog is the way it seems to be bending time. I caught up a while ago and since then have been going in everyday (I'm sure) and reading the latest post. Yet half the time I go in there are three or four to catch up with.

My only conclusion, cos of course it can't be muddle headedness on my part, is that your blog bends time. That's a pretty cool achievement!

This time it really has gone back in time. I've made a decision that sets a precedent that expands the remit of the blog almost exponentially. After his appearance in 'The Academy Of Law' I've gone back to the beginning and the first part of Harlem Heroes:

http://dreddalert.blogspot.com/2013/01/harlem-heroes-part-1.html

Frank

Mission creep, Cilla! I suspected that writing about the first fifty-odd, mostly not-very-good, episodes of Dredd every single day would be an onerous task. Give us a shout if you find a way to make the Dredd stuff more rewarding for yourself, because I do enjoy your writing style and observations on the strip's development.

davidblack

Quote from: sauchie on 10 February, 2013, 10:15:04 AM
Mission creep, Cilla! I suspected that writing about the first fifty-odd, mostly not-very-good, episodes of Dredd every single day would be an onerous task. Give us a shout if you find a way to make the Dredd stuff more rewarding for yourself, because I do enjoy your writing style and observations on the strip's development.

I always wanted to write about the wider world around Dredd and I'm going to alternate between him and his various spinoffs...

I'm back to Dredd with 'Videophones':
http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/judge-dredd-videophones.html

Frank

Quote from: davidblack on 04 March, 2013, 07:30:56 PM
And on to The Return Of Rico: http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/judge-dredd-return-of-rico.html

Fun read as always, david. Interesting that it's Mills who named the character Joe (i), since that aways struck me as characteristically Wagnerian, and I'm surprised you didn't include the Hollies reference in your Mistakes section. Mills definitely speaks of that line in terms of an allusion to The Hollies, but that makes it a meta-reference to Boys Town too. Keep up the good work, chief.

(i) And named him Judge Dredd too. Well, he came up with the name Judge Dread, anyway.