Main Menu

Rebellion announces 'Best of 2000 AD’ 12-issue series for 2020

Started by IndigoPrime, 06 November, 2019, 06:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Rebellion announces 'Best of 2000 AD' for 2020

2000 AD today announces it is launching a brand new title in April 2020 – Best of 2000 AD – as a new 12-issue US-format, perfect-bound series featuring a selection of the most incendiary and exciting new science-fiction comics from the legendary UK publisher.

Launching in April 2020, Best of 2000 AD is intended as the ultimate 2000 AD mix-tape – an anthology of full-colour stories specially chosen to be accessible to a whole new generation of comic readers who may never have picked up 2000 AD in its traditional format.

The first new major monthly title from the British publisher in almost 30 years, the first 100-page issue will be headlined by a self-contained 48-page Judge Dredd adventure and supported by three of the stand-out series from the 'Galaxy's Greatest Comic', primarily focusing on the critically-acclaimed Rebellion era.

The title boasts brand-new covers from an all-star line-up of New York Times best-selling and Eisner award-winning artists including Jamie McKelvie (The Wicked and The Divine), Becky Cloonan (Gotham Academy), Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead), Erica Henderson (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl), and Annie Wu (Hawkeye), with more to be revealed.

The entire 12-issue volume will feature design by highly-acclaimed designer Tom Muller (House of X/Powers of X).

"There are very few comics that have had – and continue to have – the impact of 2000 AD," said 2000 AD editor Matt Smith. "But we often hear, 'where do I start reading?'. With Best of 2000 AD that question has a brand new answer – accessible, contemporary, high-quality story-telling, available every month direct from your local comic book store. There's never been a better way to discover some of the best modern comics."

Following Rebellion's hugely successful 'Day of Dredd' in September, which reached over 20 million individual social media accounts and saw international sales spike, during which comic stores, libraries and creators celebrated the cultural impact of the fan-favourite character Judge Dredd, Best of 2000 AD is the next step in building a wider international audience, and stands as a major jewel in the crown of Rebellion's 2020 publishing initiatives.

"It's called the Galaxy's Greatest Comic for a reason," said Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley. "If you love your comics dangerous, thrilling and life-affirming but have never read 2000 AD then this is your moment. This new publication is precision-engineered for new and curious readers. We want the Best of 2000 AD to convert a whole new generation into 2000 AD readers for life."

The first issue of Best of 2000 AD is scheduled for release in late April 2020. It will be available from comic book stores through Diamond Distribution in North America and the UK.

Best of 2000 AD #1 cover by Jamie McKelvie:

moly

Colin YNWA

I normally avoid reprint but this really appeals to me and I want to support it too... so there's money down the swany!

Tjm86

Frank

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 November, 2019, 09:31:24 PM
if those staples are more than 2mm out of alignment ....

Perfect bound, Tjm. Perfect bound.

Given the conversation over on the thread about Orbital getting out of the direct market and the shift to younger readers and original graphic novels, this might be a presentiment of what Tharg is sending subscribers in the post 10 years from now.

Judge Dredd might continue as four 20 quid, 100-page books per year. Lower profile stuff like Brink, Lawless and Full Tilt Boogie might be one or two books per year, maybe bundled in the same way Tharg offers his current IPC specials. I could see the Megazine going this route, soon.

Bolt-01

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Frank on 06 November, 2019, 09:48:32 PMGiven the conversation over on the thread about Orbital getting out of the direct market and the shift to younger readers and original graphic novels, this might be a presentiment of what Tharg is sending subscribers in the post 10 years from now.
Perhaps, but 2000 AD is a very different prospect from the floppies on sale in Orbital. 2000 AD has a UK newsstand presence that's pretty widespread and almost entirely absent for standard US comics. (Ignore the Panini reprints, and there's basically nothing of that ilk in the average WHSmith.) I also suspect 2000 AD is quite heavily subs-oriented these days regarding readership. As long as that remains sustainable, the likes of Orbital and even other dedicated comic shops ditching floppies makes no odds.

Rately

Fantastic. I'm mostly digital nowadays for the comic reading, but I'll definitely pick this up, just don't tell my wife!

Dash Decent

I find the "each issue being stacked to the brim with some of the absolute best stories from the history of the magazine, in full colour" interesting.  I've always thought Rebellion would have to go down the Halo Jones route at some stage, colouring old stories to make them palatable to those who turn their noses up at anything black and white.  It's also another way to sell the product: Just as we've had Strontium Dog agency files in B&W, and are now offered a Star Lord volume with colour spreads restored, the next step is to colour the rest of the strip.

The announcement says the stories will "primarily" focus on the Rebellion era so although much of it will come existing full colour material, presumably this is the starting point for colouring older stories (while covering the costs).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

My reading of that is editorial adding to existing PR material. From the actual press release, it looks like this will be material compiled from the Rebellion era, and that's therefore already coloured, and also that doesn't need remastering, since it's already in digital.

Proudhuff

Anyone done the sums on the page count?

48 Dredd leaves 52 for three stories: so three weeks worth of one thrill...not sure how the ongoing stories will fit into that formula, still: In Tharg we trust. :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 07 November, 2019, 12:24:23 PM
This will be reprint stories ? Any new material at all ?

Was just thinking the same thing.
Even 6 pages of new Dredd or Future Shock material would entice those Squaxx reluctant to pony up for reprints.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe DC comics have done something similar recently with their '100 page Giant' range (i.e. 10% new material + 90% reprints).

Steve Green

Rately

Anyone think they'll include Brink? I've been holding off on getting the back issues / collections, so this could well be an introduction to it.