Main Menu

2000AD article - Dogmatika

Started by velocityboy, 23 May, 2007, 01:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

velocityboy

hey all, just thought ye's might be interested in an article I've posted on 2000AD over on the literary website Dogmatika, the second part is to come soon featuring choice cuts of the comic and more ramblings. You might remember we ran an interview a while back with Brendan McCarthy and have a few more comics-related things forthcoming. See what ye's think, all the best.

Link: http://dogmatika.com/dm/features_more.php?id=2758_0_5_0_M" target="_blank">http://dogmatika.com/dm/features_more.php?id=2758_

Leigh S

nice write up - "The Pit" a misfire and "Judgement Day" up with "Necropolis", though!? :)

IndigoPrime

Mm. I wondered about that. The Pit was excellent Dredd, showcasing the world and his ability to do the job, despite not doing what he loves best. Despite some iffy art (the story would have been a lot better with a single Ezquerra), it's one of the best Dredd arcs that's ever been, in my opinion.

JOE SOAP

Yeah, the pit was another first in terms of good storytelling in Dredd, with a good ensemble cast. Judgement Day is too lightweight and a piss take.

velocityboy

i know what you're saying, for me The Pit was an interesting premise but just didn't grab me in the end, probably unfair to put it on same level as Inferno, which I think started well and went pretty much nowhere fast. all a matter of opinion i suppose.
although it was fairly one-dimensional i always have a soft spot for Judgement Day, think the action worked well, the art was fantastic (for once i think the multiple artist format worked), really liked the incorporation of world judges (even if they all did get slaughtered) and the nuking of Mega City Two was unforgettable. was quite funny at times too. best of all was when Johnny Alpha suddenly appeared, a character i've loved for years and thought i'd seen the end of.

velocityboy

glad you liked the piece by the way, wouldn't mind canvasing your opinions for a minute. the second part is focusing on other landmark series, rough list at moment consists of, in no particular order and in my humble opinion of course:
Zenith,
Judge Anderson: Shamballa,
Chopper: Song of the Surfer,
Rogue Trooper: Cinnabar,
Button Man: The Killing Game,
Slaine: The Horned God,
Indigo Prime: Killing Time
last one is toss-up between ABC Warriors:The Blck Hole) or Nemesis the Warlock: The Gothic Empire, can't make my mind up.
what do you reckon? any series that's left out (coughHaloJonescough) or shouldn't be included?

Bad Andy

Zenith was one I kind of read in reverse. I read Phase IV first and the imagery used for the Lliogor with the hands for heads were mesmerising.

But the episode where Payne regresses was just incredible and hooked me even though I didn't really know what was going on. Luckily Best of 2000ad monthly reprinted the first two phases and I got up to speed.

Didn't manage to read Phase III until about 10 years later when Ebay kicked in properly and I managed to buy both parts for £15 each. Fortunately it was worth the wait, even if Zenith was hardly in it.

razorednight

The Pit introduced a new kind of story telling to the Dredd strip.  Before that, the great epics involved the Meg invaded or close destruction then Dredd, Anderson and a couple of mates would save the city.  The Pit wasn't like that - it concentrated on character development, the fact that judges are people too (Demarco's sexcrimes, her partner's drug addiction, and the corruption in the sector house)

But the story was spoilt by its ending.  The introduction of the local Frendz boss came rather late in the day (up till then the Frendz had been just a shadowy "them" in the background), and the sector-wide riot was too contrived and harked back to the finale of some of the other epics.

razorednight

The Pit introduced a new kind of story telling to the Dredd strip.  Before that, the great epics involved the Meg invaded or close destruction then Dredd, Anderson and a couple of mates would save the city.  The Pit wasn't like that - it concentrated on character development, the fact that judges are people too (Demarco's sexcrimes, her partner's drug addiction, and the corruption in the sector house)

But the story was spoilt by its ending.  The introduction of the local Frendz boss came rather late in the day (up till then the Frendz had been just a shadowy "them" in the background), and the sector-wide riot was too contrived and harked back to the finale of some of the other epics.

radiator

I think the Pit is the best Dredd strip ever, and the best Dredds since have been the most 'Pit-like': 'Beyond the call of duty', 'Sector House'.

I even love the ending. I think its great that it ends with a loads of action and it ties up all the loose ends of the plot really well.