Main Menu

Hi!

Started by Rico, 21 July, 2010, 10:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Hi, everyone.  Thought I should really get round to posting something on this forum, seeing as I finally got round to joining it some time ago.

I think I've probably encountered some posters here before. Many years ago -- more than a decade, in fact -- I created the Usenet newsgroup alt.comics.2000ad.  Last time I swung by, it was largely full of spam and velveeta; the fate of much of the Usenet hierarchy, I fear.

I remember some names in particular. Wakefield L. Carter was one of the prolific posters in those early days, along with Barny Shergold. He had an email address made out of sapient pearwood, as I recall. ;) The third name that really stuck in my mind was Windigo The Feral (NYAR!)/Follower of the Clawed Albino.

Anyway, I know Wakefield is still doing 2000AD-related stuff. Gonna get me one of those Dredd badges at some point. :D Came across Barny's name very recently as well, when I bought the latest 4 issues of FutureQuake, and he's listed as the webmaster. I assume it's the same guy; surely there can't be more than one Barny Shergold who's in to comics/2000AD. =) As for Windigo The Feral; no idea!

Somewhere on a hard disk, I've still got the original charter and FAQ for the newsgroup.

I haven't regularly read 2000AD for quite a while. Maybe 7 or 8 years.  But I've been in a 2000AD-themed Quake 2 clan since 1998. And as you can see, I still go by my Quake 2 clan name online. Quite annoying when people assume it's Rico from Starship Troopers, rather than Rico Dredd. Ho hum.

Renewing my subscription tomorrow, I think. I can't wait to catch up with all the old characters, and discover some new ones. \o/

Newsgroups: alt.config
Control: newgroup alt.comics.2000ad
Subject: cmsg newgroup alt.comics.2000ad
Sender: friday@cobalt.demon.co.uk

SmallBlueThing

Welcome to "The Nicest Place On The Internet" (c) Rebellion, or should be. I remember alt.comics.2000AD and lurked around there a bit back in the old days. Get to the subs department sharpish, you've gorra lorra catching up to do!

SBT

4junk2pop

Hey welcome,enjoy your stay.

TordelBack

Welcome, Rico.  Apparently I owe you some thanks - a.c.2000AD got me back into buying the Prog after too many years absence, and I've never looked back.  It was a grand place before Gozer the Gozerian (aka Volguus Zildrohar, aka the Lord of the Sebouillia aka S***t N****l ) assumed the form of an especially pernicious troll and reduced it to a blasted wasteland of one howling voice that chatters to itself in the night.  

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rico on 21 July, 2010, 10:12:03 PM
And as you can see, I still go by my Quake 2 clan name online. Quite annoying when people assume it's Rico from Starship Troopers, rather than Rico Dredd. Ho hum.

You'll always be Friday to me! :-)

The prodigal returns, eh? Hope you enjoy what you find here, and want to stick around.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Paul faplad Finch

Welcome aboard Rico.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Dandontdare

Hello and welcome. You've missed some great thrills in the last few years. New thrills like Zombo and Kingdom have gone down a storm; Tour of Duty has seen terrific political manoevering in mega city one and Dredd's career hitting an all time low; and we may currently be witnessing the return of Johnny Alpha. Phew, it's all go!

Colin YNWA

Welcome and aboard and have fun.

Hope you enjoy catching up as much as I did. Started reading again about 3 years ago now and will very shortly have finished reading all the progs I missed in my 10 years + in the wilderness. I have to say its been mighty good fun. 

flip-r mk2

Welcome to the board.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Rico

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 July, 2010, 04:12:01 PMYou'll always be Friday to me! :-)

Hehehe. :D \o/  Actually, when I joined The Justice Department (TJD - the Quake 2 clan I've been in for the past 12 years), I did start as "Friday". But there was also another UK Quake 2 player who was playing as FR1DAY, and I reckoned "Rico" was a bit more in line with the theme of a clan of Mega City Judges. :D

We even had skins based on the Judge uniform. Here's mine, and the standard deathmatch skin:

I had the large eagle 'cause I was Chief Judge (clan leader) at the time.

In fact, quite a lot had their own customised skins:

Obviously, we kinda trod on copyright a bit, but I did actually email Egmont (as it was at the time IIRC), asking if it was OK. Never got a response, so I figured no one cared too much.

At one point, we merged with another clan for a while and TJD became "The Judges of Death", with new skins:

Ah, those were the days. :D

COMMANDO FORCES

Welcome into the fold Rico.

Jared Katooie

Welcome dude.

Be sure to check out the art and story contests. Feel free to contribute to the Ultimate Link Thread.

Also, we have a lovely chat every Wednesday via Paltalk. Hope to see you there!

Rico

Never heard of Paltalk, but I shall Google it. =)

StainlessSteelRat

It's been a while since I posted on these boards - so long that my username NikolaiDante has been recycled.

In answer to the OP - Yes the Barny Shergold that hung around here years ago is me and it is the same one involved with FutureQuake.

I get around a bit..... These days I spend my time building e-commerce sites for the company I work for. I get to work from home - so that;s a double-edged sword!

Nice to be back BTW
Support FUTUREQUAKE - it makes sense

Radbacker

Greetings from OZ, I wasn't online back in the Usernet days but this place is great have fun.
:oBarney is a real person i thought that was the name of the Database here :o
greeting to you to unless you are just a machine that has gained sentience and come to destroy us all.

CU Radbacker