Main Menu

Rebellion hint at possible future Dredd MMO

Started by GordonR, 12 November, 2008, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Something to get some people all hot and bothered.

//http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/rebellion-digital-distribution-is-fascinating-opportunity

QuoteKingsley also hinted that Rebellion might consider one day working on an MMO, possibly utilising the company's 2000AD license.

"The MMO market is really intriguing, and we keep looking at it and thinking, 'Bloody Hell, that's potentially fantastic,' said Kingsley.

"And given that we've got quite a lot of intellectual property, an MMO of maybe Mega-City One might be fascinating, with Judges and Perps and all that sort of stuff - it might be a perfect opportunity.

No sign of Slaine: Grand Theft Dragon quite yet, though.

Buddy

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"What's an MMO?
A massively multiplayer online game. Basically, a huge time-sink where you spend time slogging away in a virtual environment when you could be having fun with WarioWare.

ThryllSeekyr

Wow, I look forward to this if done properly.

TordelBack

Aren't MMO's the most expensive possible undertaking for a Games company?  And if the ageing core fanbase (as exemplified by Uncle Ump) doesn't even know what one is, never mind have the time between nappy changes and attending Parents' Evenings to play one...

SamuelAWilkinson

File in the same box as 'female Dr Who', 'Spaced reunion' and 'takeaway food that doesn't make you feel greasy and nasty' and get on with your life.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

ThryllSeekyr

I would seriously play this one if they truly do it.

I suspect you should be able to play a citizen of one of the Mega Cities, that can choose to be a Perp or Judge or start out as a clone Judge or start out as Mutant living on the western sector Mega City One or the Cursed earth.

Speaking of MMO, Blizzard have just released their latest expansion last night.

//http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5142186

As it is, I could really get into Mega City One version of that flash game 'Urban Dead'.

TheEdge

THey dont want a dredd MMO what they want is a 2000AD universe one or Dredd World you pick what MEGA CITY you want to be from. Or be a Mutie or an alien

You have 4 or 5 classes per race/city

PSI Ranged Nuker
Street Judge
Tec Ranged Tinker
Wally squad
Riot or something

That way you can have PVP action or even RVR, so the SD's against the Judges, or TEXAS CITY VS MEGA CITY!
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Buddy

QuoteAnd if the ageing core fanbase (as exemplified by Uncle Ump)

I resemble that remark!

I'm only 40!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is 'World  of Warcraft' an MMO ? There was something on the BBC news about it and Mega City 1 would be perfect for such a game. I think  'Warhammer online' is coming along soon and it's similar in theme to Warcraft .

Only trouble is there could be no Judge Dredd or any of 2000 A.D 's main characters since everyone would want to be them it would prove impossible. Perhaps they'll happen along as an NPC or Non Playing Character.

Wandering round the Mega City! How cool would that be?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mardroid

I confess, I didn't know what MMO meant either. (Mind you I'm 33 so probably getting on a bit too, although in my head I feel more 18-25 age bracket, but I think that is usual.) On reading the explanation above I've heard of such environments though. I just didn't realise they were called that. I even played Runescape for a while. (Not a bad game although the graphics are a bit rubbish.)

A Megacity/Dreddworld version would be great. I think it's a good thing that Dredd himself be kept as an NPC (I know what that means!) It's always fun in these games to be creative, building your character from scratch. I think I'd like to be in the Wally squad. I fit the profile well, although probably for the wrong reasons.

TordelBack

QuoteI'm only 40!

I can't even remember how old I am without some tricky arithmetic, but I suspect "ageing" covers it.

Oh, and:

QuoteIs 'World of Warcraft' an MMO ? There was something on the BBC news about it

I rest my case.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I wonder if we can transfer our avatar's or nametags onto our characters? With my name facist, bully boy member of the SJS is a cert!  :mrgreen:
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Roger Godpleton

Hey, if all the eldster Dredd fans signed up us sexy young folk could conspire to rip you all off!

Rebellion should just hire some low-rent dev team to fart out a "hur-hur-hunh!" game with Slaine in it.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Roger Godpleton

The inherent danger with a Dredd MMO is that sooner or later you'd be able to buy your own Satanus, meaning that Pat Mills would spend all day trying to pvp those grubby motherfuckers who have the tenacity to purchase such a mount. But first he would be trying to hit them up with requests for them to change their names to "DIGGLERENNIEBISHOP".
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!