The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Comparisons between Hitler and Putin seem perfectly valid from my perspective.

- Hitler made Austria a puppet state. Putin has Belarus.
- Hitler annexed the Sudetenland of Czechoslovakia. Putin annexed Crimea* (and parts of Donetsk & Luhansk) from Ukraine. Before that, South Ossetia. He also has his finger in Moldova's pie.
- Hitler assassinated his political rivals. Putin's not as good at it, but he does the same.
- Hitler made it illegal to question his authority. Putin has done the same.
- Hitler invaded Poland on a pretext. Putin invaded Ukraine on a pretext.

So, why would comparisons here be unfair?

* Crimea was parceled into Ukraine originally as a cynical control maneuver - it increased the amount of Russian speakers so made it easier (in theory) for Moscow to maintain influence.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

And as surely as night follows day, Rees Mogg is here to tell us that Partygate isn't important any more.   Being a bear of very little brain, he hasn't worked out that he really should have kept quiet and let the public decide themselves, and that a very bad thing happening doesn't make another bad thing good.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Well, because a Very Important Thing is happening, partygate is now just "fluff". It was just a party*, after all.

* the government considering itself above the laws it itself sets **
** how every autocratic...

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 March, 2022, 03:44:00 PM
Claiming neutrality is disingenuous when you spend your entire time repeating disinformation as if it's fact from one side (the invading side), defending the leader of one side (the invading side) and minimalizing attacks on civilians by one side (the invading side).

If you repeat the lies of a fascist, defend the honor of a fascist and excuse the crimes of a fascist, what does that make you?

Disinformation? Nothing that I wrote above is disinformation.

To give myself a bit of sarcasm, and a bit of honesty, I admit that I perhaps have repeated the lies of one side, but what does it say of the other side as well?

And now that we are here, I wonder what is the next thing crafted to delude the crowd (apparently, covid is behind us, Boris can host his corrupt elite parties on daily basis)? China taking Taiwan, maybe? That is definitely coming.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 20 March, 2022, 11:40:34 PM
Nothing that I wrote above is disinformation ... I admit that I perhaps have repeated the lies of one side

Hoisted by your own petard.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 March, 2022, 02:08:25 AM
Nothing that I wrote above is disinformation ... I admit that I perhaps have repeated the lies of one side

Hoisted by your own petard.

Once again you have stripped out the context to make your point.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 March, 2022, 03:44:00 PM

Claiming neutrality is ... fascist

See how that works?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Oh ffs, Shark.

However dim one's bulb may be, one should be able to easily illuminate the fact that milstar's substantive meaning wasn't altered by the text I excluded from the quote.

As you argue (incorrectly) about semantics, entirely innocent people are being bombed to oblivion, on purpose, by a power hungry, brutal dictator. One whose fascism milstar openly supports. Their plight, seemingly, having no more meaning to you than picking your nose.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 March, 2022, 11:54:07 PM
Link to an article in The Guardian: Ukraine crisis: how you can help from the UK by donating cash and supplies
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

To give myself a bit of sarcasm, and a bit of honesty, I admit that I perhaps have repeated the lies of one side, but what does it say of the other side as well?

Sorry, I'm struggling, but I don't get it.  What lies have you sarcastically repeated?  And what does it say about the other side?  And which side is that, given you're neutral?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

To me (unless I've misunderstood), it means that automatically accepting the claims made by Side A because it's Side A and automatically rejecting the claims made by Side B because it's Side B is not helpful. Both sides, especially in times of war, will make true, false, and ambiguous claims. Therefore it behooves us to examine each claim made by Side A and by Side B with the same neutrality and rigour in order to discern truth, fiction, and ambiguity with as much impartiality as possible. Discussing the claims made by either side is therefore not necessarily indicative of support for or even belief in those claims.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

I'm sure all of these Ukrainians are fleeing their country just because they all fancied going on vacation at the same time:

And all the video evidence and the evidence from multiple independent news sources can't be taken at face value because [places tin foil hat on head] this is all part of the great reset blah blah bullshit bullshit.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

People fleeing a warzone does not explain the reasons behind the war, unless one thinks that if those people believed the war was just they'd happily stay behind to be bombed because they deserve it. I don't think anybody believes that.

Believe it or not, there are people who investigate possible ways to destabilise Russia by any practical means - as demonstrated by this 2019 RAND Corporation analysis, Overextending and Unbalancing Russia. Of course, the existence of this analysis proves nothing beyond its own existence and certainly doesn't prove that the United States (or anyone, for that matter) is using it as a plan. It is, however, indicative of certain attitudes and makes for interesting reading.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck what Putin's rationale is: he's deliberately invaded his neighbor, and is deliberately targeting civilians. There's no motive that makes that okay. Ukraine never threatened Russia.

Just like Poland never threatened Germany, but Hitler decided he'd quite like to invade anyway.

It is odd that you're so supportive of these states and their aggressive behaviors - you're normally against governments lording it over people. Something of a fondness for dictators, is it?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++