Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 October, 2023, 06:47:05 PMI genuinley can't believe how many episodes of 'Azimuth' I lettered before the "Suzi Nine Millimetre" penny dropped.  :o

Suzi should give up her wild ways and settle down with someone sensible – like that nice Mr. Lee Enfield from number 303.

(I didn't get it either until you posted, but then I'm the type who dumbly feeds pennies into the slot, with no notion of what's supposed to happen next.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

nxylas

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 October, 2023, 06:47:05 PMI genuinley can't believe how many episodes of 'Azimuth' I lettered before the "Suzi Nine Millimetre" penny dropped.  :o
I only just got it myself (and I had to rack my brains for a while). It probably helps if you say it in Ah-nuld's voice.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Jim_Campbell

Grud bless you all, my fellow clueless idiots. I feel much better about the whole thing now...  :D
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Le Fink

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 October, 2023, 11:02:07 PMGrud bless you all, my fellow clueless idiots. I feel much better about the whole thing now...  :D
If you hadn't mentioned it I'd still be in blissful ignorance. Even after you did mention it, it took me a while.

M.I.K.

Well, I'm finding this particular collective un-cottoning-on utterly bizarre.

Dash Decent

Quote from: JohnW on 15 October, 2023, 01:09:54 PMBut speaking of musical references in nineties progs, wasn't there an allusion or two to the Pogues in something that Garth Ennis wrote?

All those episodes of Pogue Trooper for a start.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

It didn't exactly go over my head, but I wasn't sure if I was right:  Were the Ennis Dredd story Muzak Killer and its sequel based around s fundamental misunderstanding of what the term 'muzak' means?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but it means 'light music anonymously produced to be played in shops, lifts, factories etc' rather than 'bad chart music').
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Just catching up on this thread. I didn't get Suzi Nine Millimetre either.

In hindsight it's a massive clue that Azimuth is part of SinDex.

But of course I was blissfully unaware of that until it was explicitly revealed.

You got to wonder if DAbnett is sitting there going "I put all this effort into laying out all these clues and they were just wasted on you lot"?

NapalmKev

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 November, 2023, 07:51:15 AMIt didn't exactly go over my head, but I wasn't sure if I was right:  Were the Ennis Dredd story Muzak Killer and its sequel based around s fundamental misunderstanding of what the term 'muzak' means?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but it means 'light music anonymously produced to be played in shops, lifts, factories etc' rather than 'bad chart music').

I haven't read it in years but I remember it as a combination of what you've already said - Future pop music had become little more than 'lift music' in the ears of Zpok, hence his ire.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JayzusB.Christ

Well, that does make sense - in fairness I missed the first Zpok story the time and started with the sequel. Could well have been referenced, I just can't remember.

I wasn't mad about it - at the time I was just really unhappy that the young and inexperienced Garth was doing ALL the Dredds - but it was fun to see all the faces from the music papers I obsessed over at the time.

Now there's a story that couldn't be recreated now - I for one wouldn't recognise any of the pop parodies. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 November, 2023, 06:30:28 PMI for one wouldn't recognise any of the pop parodies.
For myself, I am perversely proud of having never (knowingly) heard a Taylor Swift song.
It can't last, but I'll boast of it while I still can.

(9,994, Jayzus. Not long to wait now! I hear the moderators are stockpiling cocktail sausages and tranquillisers for the big party.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

paddykafka

Someone should draw a pic of Jayzus in a loin cloth and holding Brain-Biter, with the tag-line of "10,000 posts! He did not think them too many."

JayzusB.Christ

It really isn't too many, considering I've been a forum member for 21 years  :o

5 to go, and what an absolute extravaganza of anticlimactic shite it promises to be!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 November, 2023, 09:11:25 AMIn hindsight it's a massive clue that Azimuth is part of SinDex.

And the tattoos. (I didn't figure it out, either.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++