Main Menu

Prog 1889 : Back off, creeps...HE'S SENSITIVE!

Started by Darren Stephens, 05 July, 2014, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Cover : Amazing Chris Weston Dredd cover this week. Cover of the year by a country mile.

Dredd: The tale of sensitive Klegg comes to satisfying end. Beautifully drawn by Weston, lovingly coloured by Michael Dowling, this heartfelt, funny story ends in the best way possible. That is, leaving it open for more in the  (hopefully near) future!

Brass Sun : Not my favourite thrill, but I have warmed to it over time. The art, while lovely, is a little too sparse for my taste. An interesting strip, though.

3Riller : Like this a lot, but not sure where it's going. Top artage from the Holden and Denton droids.

Future Shock : A 3riller and a F.S in the same issue.....An OK, but slightly obvious tale. Nice art from Nick Dyer.

Sin/Dex : Part one of a new Sin/Dex tale and we now have new(ish) droid Jake Lynch on art, giving it a fresh feel. Very nice indeed.

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Pete Wells

I'd love to see the tide turn for Sensitive Klegg. I reckon he'd be a great mayor for MC1. A great successor for Ambrose and this generation's Dave.

Steve Green

Sensitive Klegg in Sauron Valley?

The T-Rex Whisperer?

IronGraham

So in Brass Sun is the ship captain and the tall guy an item now? I'd vote for Sensitive for mayor.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Mattofthespurs

I've only seen the cover so far (busy day), but I love it so much!

Colin YNWA

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and now I have the proof... or maybe it was thrill power overload? It would seem my 'automatic renewal' has been a 'success'. I didn't have to do a thing to sort my renewal... well except wait three chuffin' weeks for a Prog! Still everything arrive this morning and so at least I had the pleasure of three progs today. Was I wise, did I spread them out. Nah I wolfed them down like the eager fanboy I am.

Prog 1887 was a joy. Prog 1888 I really enjoyed, though not quite as much.

Prog 1889 was fine, not great but no major issues. Now is this as case of 1887 being the first (new) Prog I'd read in three weeks and by the time I got to 1889 I was used to the heights Tharg makes you soar to (or indeed had my thrill buffer gone into overload so I had a reduced capacity for pleasure?) ... or was the Prog just not quite as good as what had gone before.

Lets have a look. Dredd was quite superb. With all that's been going on of late a thrill right out of the old skool and when the old skool was Wagner and Grant I don't see no one complaining. Chris Weston art has grown so much. I was particularly fond of his colouring here. Glorious.

Brass Sun is always and continues to be a delight. After 'last weeks' refresher this week we're up to full speed with a glorious ending to boot. Then we hit stickier waters. The 3rillers of late have been superb but this one hasn't really gelled for me yet. I suspect it will be served better with a re-read when all done. PJ's work is great as ever though. The Future Shock however I felt was poor. I've really enjoyed Eddie Robinson's work to date but this felt inconsequential, it was so much lacking in twist, though it was clear [spoiler]Ben had been kept around[/spoiler] it just didn't seem to matter that he had been, nor that it'd have any real consequence in the long run. Even Nick Dyer's art which I normal adore felt more formal and constrained than normal.

Things end very well at least with the return of Sinister Dexter and on great form. Jake Lynch's art has real potential. I find at times the sharp lines of his backgrounds don't quite fit with this looser freer work he does on his folks but its getting there. Ironically there was some of his faces that reminded me of Nick Dwyer at his best.

So yeah not a bad Prog but when compared, in quick succession with the previous couple not the strongest.

Quote from: Pete Wells on 05 July, 2014, 05:53:20 PM
I'd love to see the tide turn for Sensitive Klegg. I reckon he'd be a great mayor for MC1. A great successor for Ambrose and this generation's Dave.

When you call it you call it! I'm sure he'll be back in some capacity or other... I see no reason for him not to get his own chuffin' series!

ZenArcade

Anyone stick up the cover till I get a look? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: ZenArcade on 05 July, 2014, 09:37:46 PM
Anyone stick up the cover till I get a look? Z

You're not on social media at all, are you, buddy. Tharg's been pimping this worse than a guy from Fallujah trying to get rid of his collection of Madonna CDs before the ISIS man comes round. You can see why:

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 July, 2014, 09:30:43 PM
Chris Weston art has grown so much. I was particularly fond of his colouring here. Glorious.

Mike Dowling has just shed a solitary tear and gone back to cleaning the ash from the fireplace, Colin.

ZenArcade

Nah, don't really do all that internet social media stuff, bar the forum. Really like this cover, the mighty one's right to pimp its ass. Z

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 06 July, 2014, 12:02:30 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 July, 2014, 09:30:43 PM
Chris Weston art has grown so much. I was particularly fond of his colouring here. Glorious.

Mike Dowling has just shed a solitary tear and gone back to cleaning the ash from the fireplace, Colin.

Whoops. I'll put that glaring error down to thrillpower overload and send my groveling apologises to Mr Dowling.

Richard

I thought Nik Dyer's art this week was his best yet.

Pete Wells

Quote from: ZenArcade on 06 July, 2014, 12:16:51 AM
Nah, don't really do all that internet social media stuff, bar the forum. Really like this cover, the mighty one's right to pimp its ass. Z

Over the next three days I will be doing a Chris Weston Special on my blog - later today I'll be posting this weeks' glorious cover, tomorrow the XXX Files (amazing!) and then his IDW Anderson Cover on Tuesday which is beautiful but tarnished by the addition of Burdis' name (however, he is dead, so that's a bonus...)

ZenArcade

:D Ok I'll only do the forum, pete's blog, CF's cellar and Judge Tutor Semple. Z

The Enigmatic Dr X

Great cover, but it seemed a bit of a holding prog, Brass Sun excepted.

Is there a jumping on Prog soon?
Lock up your spoons!