Main Menu

John Smith interview in Tripwire

Started by nxylas, 07 April, 2023, 09:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13school

Having Smith in the prog kept me reading the prog on more than one occasion when pretty much everything else was no longer to my tastes. Variety compared to the rest of mainstream anglophone comics - both in the art and the scripting - has always been a big, big part of why 2000AD has often seemed so essential, and Smith has been a major part of that.

I'll be picking up anything he does anywhere it appears, but it always felt like the prog was a near-perfect fit for him (and vice versa). Here's firmly hoping he'll be back.

Blue Cactus

Likewise, I really hope he can get some new stuff published in the prog or elsewhere. I'll be seeking it out.

hellscrape

John Smith wrote some of my favorite stories for 2000ad. It's a pity if he doesn't write more for them. Perhaps a collection or two of his past works in print might sway him back into the fold!

Hawkmumbler

It was always nice to hear from John back when I had FB, hope he's doing well and continues writing whatever the hell it is that takes his fancy at any given moment, for the prog or otherwise.

AlexF

I'm totally reading this as 'John Smith is actively writing a bunch of comics, and is imagining pitching at least some of them to 2000AD'.

Great news for all readers  :D

nxylas

Quote from: AlexF on 12 April, 2023, 03:25:00 PMI'm totally reading this as 'John Smith is actively writing a bunch of comics, and is imagining pitching at least some of them to 2000AD'.

Great news for all readers  :D
But it sounds to me like he's undecided about the latter part.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 12 April, 2023, 03:25:00 PMI'm totally reading this as 'John Smith is actively writing a bunch of comics, and is imagining pitching at least some of them to 2000AD'.

He's sounding like he's had his fingers burned a bit, but... where else is there? Unless he goes back to the US, or does a self-published/Kickstarter type thing (an original John Smith hardback GN would be amazing), it's hard to think of another Smith-friendly comic outlet besides Tooth...?
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Pity Hellblazer is no more. He only wrote one issue but I believe if he'd stuck at it he could have been one of Vertigo's top writers. Still, the yanks' loss was our gain.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"