Main Menu

My First Prog

Started by Barrington Boots, 13 May, 2021, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Prog 628 from 1985. Long lost but now reacquired. For a while prior to this I was skim-reading another Squaxx's prog on my paper round, but this was the first one I actually bought.

Dredd, Horned God, Zenith phase 3 and Cinnabar - pretty good place to start!

What was yours?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

Prog 146 from 1980 - this was definitely my first prog, which I took to a grown-ups party. Some other kid about my age tried to steal it from me, which resulted in a tug-of-war and a Solomon-like result as the prog got ripped in two. My collecting was patchy at that point, and a regular order didn't start until around prog 178.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Kev Levell

I read prog 424 on the school bus, a friend showed me it, I went home, asked my mum to swap my regular Beano for 2000ad at the newsagent, the following Wednesday, Prog 425 came in! Slavers of Drule. Part 2 of Midnight Surfer, Rogue Trooper with some incredible Jose Ortiz art, Anderson and Slaine too. I was seriously hooked.

scrotnig

One with Otto Sump on the cover. That's as best I can manage I'm afraid.

broodblik

My first prog was 375 featuring a cover by Steve Dillon

Also featuring Carlos on Strontium Dog and Cam Kennedy on Rogue Trooper. What not to love?

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

651 for me. I had the first two annuals, given to me by a cousin. I'd earlier that year been sucked in by Best of 2000 AD monthly, for which my first was #46, with Brendan McCarthy's iconic cover.

Jim_Campbell

Although I remember being immensely jealous of a friend of mine who turned up at school plastered in the biotronic stickers from Prog 2, the little bastard wouldn't let me read it.

The first prog I ever read was bought for me to keep me quiet on the long, loooong journey to visit my grandparents in far-off Newton Stewart*

Fairly soon after, I was bought these ones, for reasons I can't recall...

Then this one turned up in a Christmas stocking...

Then this one, which I distinctly recall being purchased for another one of those long trips...

Then this one, I suspect because my Dad was an Eagle reader of old...

At which point, I offered to give up both my Beano and Dandy orders at the newsagent if I could get 2000AD instead which, after much wheedling and whining on my part, my parents agreed to and Prog 104 arrived with the Saturday papers...

...And that was it. I was in for the long haul.

*Which, I discovered many years later was where some of the location stuff for The Wicker Man was filmed...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Kev Levell's prog 424:

IP's prog 651:

Going to guess that 280 is scrotnig's:
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

195 for me - Gibson doing REdondo for Return to Armageddon

I'd read earlier progs at my cousins (War Wheels! Giant Carlos Snakes!) but was persevering with Dr Who Weekly when it went Monthly, until monthly became too long a gap and I asked my nan to switch my standing order to 2000AD

Only ever missed 228 (went on holiday, shop guy thought I had given up my order!!!)  228!!!, 543 (just didnt turn up that week - had to get it at inflated price from Nostalgia and Comics

Stopped getting it from my nans around the 620s so I could buy it in town on the saturday trip to GW and Virgin - missed prog 889 (went to New York the week the prog actually sold out for once in Nostalgia and wasnt there the week I got back)

Subscribed from 1246

Funt Solo

Hope nobody minds me adding in the cover images. This is Leigh's 195:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

Add away! I would if I could!

Woolly

I can never quite remember my first dip into Tharg's bulging sack of thrills, but I think it's the one that's got the Judge Dredd one-off 'An Elm Street Nightmare' in it. Buggered if I can find it on Barney!

My first ever exposure to thrill-power was reading the Titan collection of City of the Damned at a mate's house, and Judge Death in Titan's Dredd Book 1. It's all Robert Lindley's fault!

Kev Levell

You know, even though 424 was the first one I read, actually, I always consider my first to be the glorious wraparound on 425. I just recycled it last week, it was so heavily read it was falling apart!

Woolly

Quote from: Kev Levell on 13 May, 2021, 08:22:09 PM
I just recycled it last week, it was so heavily read it was falling apart!

You....   what?

Funt Solo

Quote from: Woolly on 13 May, 2021, 08:23:31 PM
Quote from: Kev Levell on 13 May, 2021, 08:22:09 PM
I just recycled it last week, it was so heavily read it was falling apart!

You....   what?

I did the same thing with a lot of my originals when I bought a big chunk of progs to complete my collection. My ones were so well-loved that they were in a sorry state. I think I dropped them off at a charity shop. Long time ago.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++