Main Menu

Redfox

Started by Van Dom, 23 March, 2010, 09:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dom

Does anybody remember this 80s comic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfox_(comics)

(EDIT - FOR SOME REASON THE CLOSING BRACKET ON COMICS DOESN'T POST INTO THE BROWSER WHEN YOU CLICK THE LINK, ON MY COMPUTER ANYWAY, SO YOU HAVE TO TYPE IT IN YOURSELF TO MAKE THE PAGE COME UP)

It popped into my head a few nights ago and I've been racking my brains trying to remember what it was called these last few days. Finally hit me tonight. What a blast from the past, as soon as I found that wikipedia page and saw the cover it displays, it all came back to me. I had that book and I'm pretty sure I had volume 2 as well. From what I remember it was great stuff. Of course, I would have only been 13 or something when I read it and as we all know, whats good to a 13 year old is not necessarily good to a 30-something year old!!!

Anybody have these? Do they stand the test of time? I'm going to have to go hunting for them on ebay now!!!

(Also just noticed thats a Brian Bolland cover. Sweet!)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Jim_Campbell

Yes. I think I had most of the issues, IIRC. They managed some real coups latterly, like getting John Bolton to paint a cover and (I think) Neil Gaiman to plot an issue.

Also, the Valkyrie imprint under which they self-published was the one which put Luther Arkwright back into print. Better link here.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

I remember the ad for it at the back of Luther and Trident I think, looked good at the time but never managed to get a copy.

David

Emperor

Quote from: Van Dom on 23 March, 2010, 09:39:14 PM
Does anybody remember this 80s comic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfox_(comics)

(EDIT - FOR SOME REASON THE CLOSING BRACKET ON COMICS DOESN'T POST INTO THE BROWSER WHEN YOU CLICK THE LINK, ON MY COMPUTER ANYWAY, SO YOU HAVE TO TYPE IT IN YOURSELF TO MAKE THE PAGE COME UP)

Fixed. If it ends in a bracket then the automatica link creation doesn't work properly. You have to flag it is a link by highlighting it and clicking the link button (little blue planet second in from the left on the row above the smilies).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Quote from: Van Dom on 23 March, 2010, 09:39:14 PMI'm going to have to go hunting for them on ebay now!!!

Looks like you can probably scoop up a few on eBay (and get a set imported from the US if you are eager). They don't seem to retail for an awful lot, see for example:

www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/titledetail.aspx?TitleID=12603
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

ThryllSeekyr

Sounds interesting, appealing to that part of me thaat like slapstick fantacy.

Not I beleive I ever brought any.

I do remember seeing thsi cover picture somewhere before.

Colin YNWA

I remember it but only vaguely a friend of mine was really into it. I have to be honest I don't remember it that fondly either. Covers aside it wasn't great and kinda reminded me of the very early Cerebus stuff pre issue 14. Not great but not terrible.

Jim_Campbell

I think it's worth noting that the art in the early issues is frequently atrocious. As the series progresses, Fox improved noticeably, and drafted in the services of several pretty decent inkers. At the same time, the light-hearted good humour that had really been the title's selling point largely evaporated.

File under: "interesting curio" rather than "essential reading".

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

locustsofdeath!

I've got most of the Redfox series, and it's okay. Not as absurdly fun as many of the other titles that came out during that wacky indie boom in the States, but sill fun. Cerebus and those early Turtles comics are much better, as is a cool series called 'Adventurers'. If you're interested in this kind of stuff, Van Dom, let me know - I have more of these types of comics than is good for any one person!

EDIT: I never realized until just now that this wasn't a US comic! I'll have to dig my issues out and have another read. Wonder that I found them in the comics shop I used to haunt...but then, it did fit into the 80's b&w boom that nearly bankrupted comics in the States...