Main Menu

Good Vibrations BBC2 10:30 7/3/15

Started by ZenArcade, 07 March, 2015, 10:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Interesting short film on Belfast's Punk Scene in lthe late 70's. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

BPP

Good Vibrations' record shop was, for most of the 90s, located opposite the Comic Book shop opened by 2000AD's John McCrea. I've still a flyer for the opening of the original store kicking around, pretty sure it features Dredd. That coimc shop, Dark Horizons, then moved into the centre of town and Good Vibrations got taken over by younger employees (who moved it more student / dance music). Terry opened a 2nd hand store and his number two Angus worked at the spiritual successor to Good Vibrations, Dr Roberts.

Both Dark Horizons and Dr Roberts were central points in the early 90s belfast counter culture scene that sprouted Garth Ennis, PJ Holden, Paddy Brown and (the much sadly ignored) Davy Francis, all of whom were weekly visitors to the shop. John McCrea had moved to England by this point but still co-owned the store. They had an energy and anarchy that sadly seems absent from todays only remaining comic store (a FP franchise) (save for their one passionate employee, Mal). John's co-owner, Fred Collier, was a gentle beast of a man, who's grin was infectious and whose wife kept getting deported and sneaking back into the country. He and Terry would DJ dub and reggae together during and after the end of both stores.

Now it seems twitter etc is how scenes evolve, which has its own strengths and weeknesses but is a different beast. Probably your own towns had the same dynamic. Good Times and certainly good for comics.

BTW - 2000AD archive fans - you might spot some folk you know in this arhive footage - the inventory is of a Garth Ennis interview (Crown bar cliche alert) and the picture still of the video is (I think) Dark Horizon's third location but the actual tape it links to is obviously the Fleetway offices at the time putting Crisis and 2000AD together. Odd.

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/ITN/1990/03/09/CR0903900001/

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BPP on 08 March, 2015, 11:54:59 PMBTW - 2000AD archive fans - you might spot some folk you know in this arhive footage - the inventory is of a Garth Ennis interview (Crown bar cliche alert) and the picture still of the video is (I think) Dark Horizon's third location but the actual tape it links to is obviously the Fleetway offices at the time putting Crisis and 2000AD together. Odd. http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/ITN/1990/03/09/CR0903900001/

The notes describe the contents of 2 tapes of news camera-rushes; the embedded clip only shows the second tape of rushes shot inside Fleetway offices as described in the last bit of text in the tape notes:

"ITN INT

London 02.40 Covers of 'Crisis' comic on wall; 2000 AD covers;

Fleetway Publications 03.43 VS staff working in Fleetway office; woman checking proofs on desk; 2000 AD covers on wall; man using computer; drawers full of artwork; more 2000 AD covers;

09.02 'War and Peace' comic leafed thru; CS detailsof artwork; VS political comics and artwork;

CONDENSED RUSHES CR2131 ENDS 12.21"

Interesting seeing Burt's famous drawers of art - featuring a Necropolis centre-spread. I didn't think ITN would actually make original camera rushes public like that especially with the soundtrack intact as usually you hear all sorts of off-hand conversations from cameramen about their wives or producers.

Thanks for that, BPP.

Frank

Burt actually says "erm ..." ! He did his catchphrase, while staring into his tiny pop-up toaster of a Mac! Lost treasure, BPP; thanks for being our little Tony Robinson.

ZenArcade

So there you go folks, give it a watch on the I player. Some great tunes from the Outcasts and Rudi as well. Z

pauljholden

Quote from: BPP on 08 March, 2015, 11:54:59 PM
Good Vibrations' record shop was, for most of the 90s, located opposite the Comic Book shop opened by 2000AD's John McCrea. I've still a flyer for the opening of the original store kicking around, pretty sure it features Dredd.
http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/ITN/1990/03/09/CR0903900001/

Minor point, good vibrations and Dark Horizons were facing each other - but both upstairs in the same building - Dark Horizons was actually, afaik, a back room that Terry let Fred and John use. The flyer for the store (and it's burned in my memory) featured a variety of hot babes, sitting on cubes - Storm, Vixen, Starfire, and others (John clearly had a type)

Later I think they did a Will Simpson signing with a print by Will - which was a Dredd print, so maybe that's what you're remembering?

-pj

johnnystress

Great movie. I'd feared the worst because so many music related films turn out to be cheesy and embarrassing.

Here I am visiting the store in the early 2000s. It moved about a bit so I'm not sure where this is exactly.

The Outcasts are enjoying a second coming since the release of the film, which is great. There was some great music made there back in the day.

ZenArcade

The one you were outside was on Donegal Square South....probably a wankerie or  something now. Z