Main Menu

WAR OF THE WORLDS The 2000AD connection

Started by MIKE COLLINS, 20 June, 2005, 10:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Oliver

That's sort of the point I was getting at, Only in reverse ;)

In 1783 the Spanish Empire was still in an impressive position.

Imagine for a moment, after the American war of Independence with Britain the Founding Fathers didn't fare so well, that everything west of the Mississippi remained in Latin (Spanish/Mexican?) hands with the former Spanish territories spreading east across the North American continent instead.

By the time of Queen Victoria and the Martian invasion an Estados Unidos de America could have existed for, what, century or so?

I'm the first to admit that I'm reading alot into one picture- but it's really captured my imagination.

Link: http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-422" target="_blank">The Great Game profile..

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

paulvonscott

Just read the web-strip, yeah, very good.  I have a sudden urge to put the Jeff Wayne on.

Art

I dunno, having two unconnected counterfactual threads running at the same time strikes me as a bit off.

Dudley

Looking closely, doesn't the "A" word look more like "Afrique"?  It's slightly clearer on the DH website.

Bart Oliver

Art, I reckon you're on the money there.

If you feed 'United States of Africa' into the Babel Fish translator In French you get;

(Les) Etats-Unis de l'Afrique

...E U A!

AotRM, I think you've cracked it!

As for an alternative Latin U S A in the Americas, *ahem* I'd like to a stake a claim on
that as a plot device for something I have an idea for..

Cheers, B.

Art

Bart Oliver

Dan Kelly

BTW.

Week 2 is now up on the dark horse site

Link: http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/wotw/index.php" target="_blank">Dark Horse WotW

Oddboy

Is this going to be published as a book at all, or is it only going to be an e-comic?

If it'll be a book, then I'll wait until then to read it.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Bolt-01

At Bristol-

Edgy and D'Izzy said it was going to be a book, but that might change.

Hoping for the book myself.

Bolt-01

Mudcrab

"As for an alternative Latin U S A in the Americas, *ahem* I'd like to a stake a claim on
that as a plot device for something I have an idea for.."

In Otherland (Tad Williams), there's an alternate
(South) America created with the simple premise that horses were native to the americas, and hence the Aztecs were able to withstand the invasions of the Spaniards and Portugese with a more developed society than the real one. Their own "United America" was formed from the various tribes of the Americas, centred around a marvellous Golden City (but of course).

It's a small part of the books, so I'm not saying you can't use your idea. :o)

Strangely enough, or probably not, there's a War of the Worlds "world" in Otherland too.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Noisybast

Excellent cliffhanger to end the second part on*!

*Yes, I know what happens, but still...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Lord Running Clam

I hope they do release it as a book aswell.

It was nice to see the main star of Scarlet Traces popping up on the newspaper.

Theres some great art and lines in this week.

Lord Running Clam

Just read part 3 and got to say D'Israeli has done some wonderful work.