Main Menu

what spoiled it for you? the comic version...

Started by mogzilla, 01 February, 2011, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

several things spring to mind but i'll start with ro-busters i enjoyed the episodic adventures but got peed when the whole revolt storyline started.

spawn: as soon as issue 100 finished it felt like todd had run out of ideas or regreted killing malebolgia however that series ranout of steam for me way before that i liked it at first with the spawn being a shadowy creature dispatching rapists and child killers living in a rat infested alley surrounded by tramps while dealing with being dead and his best mate and wife bumping uglies ...
   when it started getting too into potraying spawn as a potential god of the underworld and the flamin angela and her kin it lost its appeal though i did like god as a little old lady.

Hellboy: as much as i love the character i cant help feeling that mignola has jumped the shark a bit with the current storyline starting with the "wild hunt" especially with morgan le fay and deciding that HB is in fact [spoiler]the descendant of king arthur and therefore the true king of england[/spoiler]
hoping i'm proved wrong and things will get less harry potterish especially as he decided it might be time for him to return to the bprd.

Banners

The second volume of The Punisher from 1987 rocked my teenage world, but the series was spoiled once it started crossing over with the rest of the Marvel Universe (including Doctor Doom and some wheeled robots at one point). I know the character has been somewhat revived since, but they should always have kept him well on his own.

M@

El Chivo

When The Vort's Crispy turned out to be Lobster Random
Nothing against Lob, just felt it kind of changed the whole tone of the strip
I thought everything about The Vort was awesome, i think it could have stood alone easily

Soz

Chi

BMB

Quote from: Banners on 01 February, 2011, 11:26:23 PM
The second volume of The Punisher from 1987 rocked my teenage world, but the series was spoiled once it started crossing over with the rest of the Marvel Universe (including Doctor Doom and some wheeled robots at one point). I know the character has been somewhat revived since, but they should always have kept him well on his own.

M@

Yeah this exactly.

You could almost believe he could exist (I'd assume in real life your luck would run out after a short period of killing people etc etc) but when he's suddenly leaping from buildings with Spiderman it always used to piss me off sooooo much.

I don't know why they're so obsessed with everyone inhabiting the same universe, like a title can't just be a title. Also I've never really gotten into superheroes. Don't hate them, just never really been grabbed.

Spaceghost

Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

O Lucky Stevie!

Alan Craddock.

Quote from: mogzilla on 01 February, 2011, 10:14:39 PM
   several things spring to mind but i'll start with ro-busters i enjoyed the episodic adventures but got peed when the whole revolt storyline started.

The Fall & Rise of Rojaws & Hammerstein!?!? Seriously?

Subjectivity aside, without Batholemew's objection to the tube chase we wouldn't have the Olympian pinnacle of comics that is Nemesis.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Loaded sumo

World War Hulk - Everything was well at the end, so it seemed rather pointless for whats made out to be a groundbreaking Hulk story, I still enjoyed it nonetheless though.
:lol:

mogzilla

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 03 February, 2011, 10:04:28 AM
Alan Craddock.

Quote from: mogzilla on 01 February, 2011, 10:14:39 PM

The Fall & Rise of Rojaws & Hammerstein!?!? Seriously?

Subjectivity aside, without Batholemew's objection to the tube chase we wouldn't have the Olympian pinnacle of comics that is Nemesis.

yes,seriously. for me as a wee boy i liked the different adventures like a robot thunderbirds then it changed a bit i didnt like it as much...personal taste,dont like dante fer example.

maryanddavid

QuoteWhen The Vort's Crispy turned out to be Lobster Random
Nothing against Lob, just felt it kind of changed the whole tone of the strip
I thought everything about The Vort was awesome, i think it could have stood alone easily

Spot on.

Van Dom

Yeah The Vort was a slice of fried gold, a really cool old skool sci-fi tale...and dragging it into Lobster Randoms world really ruined it, I think. Would have been great as a stand alone, self-contained volume without the to be continued...and for some reason the Lobster Random continuation story that led on from it just didnt seem as good for some reason, even though it featured the same characters.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

DrRocka

Colossus coming back to life - the Grant Morrison era was officially over, and x men comics could get back to being unimaginative dreck again, in line with pretty much all the rest of the Marvel universe.

Mind you, their version of "The Stand" is tremendous.
Never ever bloody anything ever

JOE SOAP

I can take the Vort thing either way and it doesn't bother me but what did bother me was that this trick had been pulled too many times before in 2000AD -The Dead Man, Malone and to some degree Dead Eyes- and seemed lazy.

fresno bob

Brian Michael Bendis-"Snappy" dialogue is not a substitute for plot.
You know why the Professor never got laid on the island, don't you?

HdE

Quote from: BMB on 02 February, 2011, 05:02:19 AM

I don't know why they're so obsessed with everyone inhabiting the same universe, like a title can't just be a title. Also I've never really gotten into superheroes. Don't hate them, just never really been grabbed.

QFT.

It's the single most groan-worthy aspect of modern comics. Crossovers STINK. I've not read many good ones (Dredd Vs Aliens is a notable exception!) they generally reek of an attitude of 'LET'S SELL LOADSA COMICS!!!' and they're frankly a slap in the face to folks who care about continuity or self-contained stroy universes.

I'd like to have 'em BANNED.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Roger Godpleton

I used to think Garth Ennis and Neil Gaiman were really cool until I discovered L&R, Jimmy Corrigan, Crumb and other comics that actually are cool and for grown-ups. When I read the Schizo collection I realized that Brunetti was doing the same shtick as Ennis at the same time Preacher was new and hip, only he was doing it way more hardcore and it was way more interesting, and now 15 years later Brunetti has progressed a lot more than GE. For about 2 years, all I read was "lit-comics" and while I've learnt to appreciate superheroes again, comics I'd class as "adult-genre" (Most Vertigo stuff, Walking Dead) that aren't auteur projects tend to leave me cold.

Basically I would be a comics snob, if I could draw.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!