Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 19 August, 2011, 09:32:08 AM
Anyone else reading the Butcher mini-series? I've just read part two and it's going ok so far. No great surprises but it seems that the next issue will start to reveal a bit more about Butcher and his wife.

I've been picking it up - really enjoying it so far. It's actually holding my interest a bit more than the main series at the minute, and really looking forward to the actual superhero stuff starting to creep into it.

Proudhuff

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 19 August, 2011, 10:24:39 AM
Quote from: Colin Zeal on 19 August, 2011, 09:32:08 AM
Anyone else reading the Butcher mini-series? I've just read part two and it's going ok so far. No great surprises but it seems that the next issue will start to reveal a bit more about Butcher and his wife.

I've been picking it up - really enjoying it so far. It's actually holding my interest a bit more than the main series at the minute, and really looking forward to the actual superhero stuff starting to creep into it.

Picked up the first two, interesting seeing the Falklands woven into the story, the general radgness and the truth about living in a neigbourhood 'protected' by hoodlums
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Have found Butcher Baker (how odd to have two comics with the same title in the shops at the same time) to be dismal Ennis by numbers so far: army, violence, one great parent, one bastard one, love of a good woman, heading for a bad end.

To be honest, if it wasn't ending in the next year there's no way I'd still be buying The Boys. See comic bods, the power of a finite series!
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 September, 2011, 08:36:57 PM
Have found Butcher Baker (how odd to have two comics with the same title in the shops at the same time) to be dismal Ennis by numbers so far: army, violence, one great parent, one bastard one, love of a good woman, heading for a bad end.

now you've pointed that out ...  :(
DDT did a job on me

Colin Zeal

Anyone read issue 59 of The Boys? Decent issue and it's confirmed that there are just two story arcs left now. [spoiler]I thought Butcher gutting Jack from Jupiter over the killing of Terror was well done and suitably bloody. Don't mess with the man's dog.[/spoiler]

PreacherCain

Aye the second half of issue 59 was like The Boys when it first started. The last 20 or more issues have been treading water. The ending was great, and the reason for that happening was very sad indeed :(

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: PreacherCain on 11 October, 2011, 04:20:52 PM
Aye the second half of issue 59 was like The Boys when it first started. The last 20 or more issues have been treading water. The ending was great, and the reason for that happening was very sad indeed :(

Finally got my copy today, and agreed, it was one hell of an episode. It's gearing up to be some conclusion at this rate, and it'll be a much-missed comic when it's gone - so good to see the next arc is a six-parter . . .hopefully it'll still be with us a while yet!

Colin YNWA

At the end of last week and over the last couple of days while on a short trip away with the family I've read War Stories 1 and 2. My god are they great, they really are wonderful. The art across the board is sensational but have to say the two David Lloyd stories are probably the highlights artistically. Story-wise well its hard to say they are all pretty much magnificent for one reason or another. Just all round genius stuff really.

PreacherCain

If you liked War Stories, you might like Ennis' later series Battlefields as well.  The first volume in particular is great and features probbaly one of Ennis' best stories of the last decade (Dear Johnny, I think it's called). Night Witches is also fantastic and the tank story has art from one Mr. Ezquerra.

Proudhuff

Quote from: PreacherCain on 25 October, 2011, 04:13:37 PM
If you liked War Stories, you might like Ennis' later series Battlefields as well.  The first volume in particular is great and features probbaly one of Ennis' best stories of the last decade (Dear Johnny, I think it's called). Night Witches is also fantastic and the tank story has art from one Mr. Ezquerra.

I'd second that, I bought the collected hardbacks, well worth it.

oh and its 'Dear Billy' I think  :D
DDT did a job on me

PreacherCain

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 October, 2011, 04:18:48 PM
I'd second that, I bought the collected hardbacks, well worth it.

oh and its 'Dear Billy' I think  :D

Ah yes, 'Dear Billy', Right you are!

Colin YNWA

Yeah I've read most of the Battlefield's stuff and it is indeed great. Loved the sequel to Ezquerra's 'Tankies' and if we're talking tooth connections don't forget PJ on the fantastic 'Happy Valley' from which I got one of the very few bits of original art I own. All great stuff.

Fleetos

I have found since DR came off art duties the boys has really gone flat.
Butcher mini is awesome. Wow, knew Butcher's wife had to die, but who would have seen that coming!

The last few issues of the boys is starting to get back in the groove. I think i might have to read them again and see if they work better in one sitting.

Hope Dk comes back to finish it.

PreacherCain

After a very long decline, both The Boys #59 and Butcher #4 really brought the series back to the quality it once had.  The last few pages of both those issues were quite shocking and really, really, well done.

I do think Ennis has gotten a little comfortable in his writing though. Almost lazy, at times. Reminds me a little of Robert Kirkman's biggest fault of having character development be characters just TALKING about how much they've changed and why, rather than showing it. Of course, Ennis can every once in a while pull off something great whilst Kirkman's writing style has always been the biggest obstacle in the way of a good story!

Satanist

No love for latest issue of The Boys? All I can say is fucking hell!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?