Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Same here, our dogs will happily tuck into left overs and scraps (non meat); but to actually force your beliefs on to a dog?? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Thats not unussual. It's like a supplement thing but then again many dogs are just gluttens by nature so they'll eat anything thats on the floor if they find it half tasty. I always say to vegans who thinking of getting a cat or dog, just get a Rabbit or something.

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 February, 2015, 08:32:09 PM
My dog sometimes enjoys eating raw carrots and spuds but I'd never dream of veganising him. People actually do that? It's silly.

It's not just silly. When it comes to cats, it could kill them. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they need meat to survive.

TordelBack

Tiplodocus

Quote from: M.I.K. on 18 February, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 February, 2015, 12:32:04 PM
Well, yeah.  But the argument goes that choice to eat meat is a recreational one and not in the slightest bit necessary.

This may be true for some, perhaps even most, but my own digestive tract seriously disagrees.

Ah yes, M.I.K, I recall you mentioning that before which must be really unpleasant.  You get a pass then.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 February, 2015, 07:19:47 PM
I will refute Tips slightly mind, as their are no real food stuff's out their that provide anywhere near enough protein that growing humans need. And yes, i've looked into the alternatives such as Tofu and Quorn and you would have to shell out a small fortune to cover the price of protein a couple of chicken breasts could provide you. I always cringe inwardly a little when I hear about infants being brought up on vegan diets. They always turn out to be somewhat skinny and undernourished.

Chicken breast is a good source of orotein ( though I recall reading that current food practices mean that it's not got as much protein and has more fat than it used to) but seriously, getting enough protein without eating meat or dairy really isn't a problem once you make a few adjustments to your diet.

I find things like lentils and chickpeas much cheaper than meat. And even stuff like tempeh ( a cracking protein source) is no more expensive than a decent packet of bacon. A packet of Quorn mince is more exoensive than "value" mince but on a par with reasonable mince.  It is annoying that you never get it in 3 for £10 offers but otherwise,  I'm not sure I buy this argument.

"Skinny and undernourished" is a bit of a sweeping generalisation. The vegan infants I know are all healthy and glowing. As are some omnivore kids.

Tiplodocus

I pity vegans who have cats or dogs. They are rounded upon if they feed it vegan and called hypocrites if they don't.  Hah, I think that "Get a rabbit " is undoubtedly the best solution.

ZenArcade

I simply can't understand wby a vegan with a cat would be criticised if the cat ate meat. I assume that vegans as a whole don't support the exripation of all carnivores and by the same virtue that anyone would think vegans are antipathic towards said carnivores? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tiplodocus

Quote from: ZenArcade on 18 February, 2015, 11:16:15 PM
I simply can't understand wby a vegan with a cat would be criticised if the cat ate meat. I assume that vegans as a whole don't support the exripation of all carnivores and by the same virtue that anyone would think vegans are antipathic towards said carnivores? Z

I think some people just want a stick to beat the vegan with and an excuse for their behaviour.  "Well, you feed meat to your cat so that justifies me eating meat"

Dandontdare

Whilst there are reasons other than the cruelty/ethics one for becoming a vegetarian (health or taste for example), if you ARE doing it for the ethical reason, I can't understand the point of vegetarianism as opposed to veganism. That cow needs to be just as dead to extract the finings in your wine, the gelatin in your margarine or the leather in your shoes.

And whilst I have been harangued unpleasantly by vegetarians on more than one occasion, all the vegans I've known have been patient, tolerant and willing to discuss their diet without trying to make me feel like a monster.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 February, 2015, 01:17:45 PMI can't understand the point of vegetarianism as opposed to veganism. That cow needs to be just as dead to extract the finings in your wine, the gelatin in your margarine or the leather in your shoes.

And to the same point, the management of livestock herds for dairy etc. demands almost as many deaths as meat production. Or where do we think all the boy animals go?

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 February, 2015, 01:17:45 PM
That cow needs to be just as dead to extract the finings in your wine, the gelatin in your margarine or the leather in your shoes.

Indeed - as a vegetarian, you shouldn't be touching those things either. 

The indirect killing of animals involved in the production of eggs and milk causes some debate.
The chicken that laid your egg may not have been killed but millions of male chicks thrown (live!) into grinders because they have no place in the egg laying industry.  Plus, you know, their living conditions are generally pretty shit and would costitute cruelty by most normal definitions.

The cow that produced your milk/whey/cheese may not be dead but similarly male calfs are put to the bullet - I think it was shown on Jimmy Docherty's program the other night and upset plenty of Daily Mail readers. Plus dairy cattle's life expectancy is much lower than normal cattle and then they get put down pretty much as soon as they reach the end of their useful milk producing life.  Plus, you know, their living conditions are generally pretty shit and would costitute cruelty by most normal definitions.

If anything, going vegan actually made these choices a lot easier. You just don't do it.

Plus it's stopped me eating Mars Bars and Creme Eggs.

I'll stop now. I don't want to sound any more preachy. Thanks for indulging me. If you are really interested in seeing exactly what goes down so you can enjoy your KFC and Big Macs (or even household pets) then  the film EARTHLINGS is available on YOUTUBE.

The Legendary Shark

Life's so drokking fantastic because... of people like Tips.
I salute you, Sir.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

TordelBack