Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Just finished "Enforcer" a Judge(Arbites) set in WH40k-very good and the baddies are all "ordinary " humans showing how monstrous we truly can be. And after recommendations on this very board 'ere, I've started George Mann's "Affinity Bridge" a steampunk-ish influenced novel -very good so far with Queen Victoria as a sort of cyborg, mysterious airship crashes and zombies hunting in the streets of Victorian Lahndan Tahn.

Affinity is one of those rare books where you desperately want to turn the page to see what happens next. Fun!

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Paul faplad Finch

I'm still reading Droid Files 2 cos I'm trying to eke it out. I've just finished Farewell My Billions and a question occurs to me.

I know from prvious discussions of Peter Hogans work that he was kind of known for building arcs across several stories and that his one-offs in specials often tied in to events in the main prog. So I'm wondering whether I shuld slot the 'bonus strips' into any particular slot or is it ok to just read it cover to cover?

I looked for a Droid Files thread but couldn't find one so I just thought I'd bung my question on here.

I've also just finished reading bk1 of the Hitman trades. Very cool stuff, if only I could afford to buy more. :'(
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Ennis' Battlefields.  While I devoured war comics as a kid, I've long felt that I was done with them (Charley's War aside).  I really didn't think this would be my thing, but was tempted by the art.  Turns out it's an absolutely brilliant series, and suits Ennis down to the ground.  

Ennis' staple style of matey dialogue, cheeky chappies and an unswerving eye for cruelty and body horror finally finds a subject that elevates it to serve something more.  In the war he has a setting and a larger story that impart consequence and a level of seriousness to what (to me) have often seemed his aimless plots.  Other Ennis stories seem (to me) spun out through a series of pub chats and pillow talks, and exist only to move the same three or four characters on to another shocking mutilation, obscenity or blasphemy, and maybe another overlong hagiography of some pop-culture fave of the author, prior to another sozzled chat between bessie mates.  

In Battlefields the stories gain importance, maybe even nobility, from their setting, and I found myself breathing a sigh of relief when the characters (admittedly the usual Ennis types) were able to find time for a chinwag, a beer or a shag.  

This is one series that I would probably never have read but for the availability of illegal copies, but which I will definitely now be buying in hard copy.  Chalk one up for the pirates.

Special mention to PJ for 'Happy Valley', the best work of his career to date, and the undoubted highpoint of the whole series.  My wee boy was fascinatedly looking over my shoulder as I was reading this, and lacking as it does the explicit gore of the others, I was happy enough to read it to him (somewhat bowdlerised) - his first war comic.  Hope it hasn't set the bar too high.  

chaingunchimp

let the right one in.
very random book, gona wait untill i've finished it before i watch the film.
vampires, paedos and bullying, strange mix.
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 05 August, 2010, 10:13:44 AM
I've started George Mann's "Affinity Bridge" a steampunk-ish influenced novel -very good so far with Queen Victoria as a sort of cyborg, mysterious airship crashes and zombies hunting in the streets of Victorian Lahndan Tahn.

George is a fellow Snowbooks author. If you enjoy Affintiy, you should check out Ghosts of Manhattan, based in the same world only stateside.

I've added The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo to my list of current reading (I tend to read several books at a time). I'm keen to see what all the fuss is about. So far it's a fairly pedestrian, plot-driven thriller. Fifty-odd pages in and I'm far from hooked. But I'll stick with it.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: chaingunchimp on 05 August, 2010, 10:56:51 AM
let the right one in.

Loved the novel- lived it, almost, while reading. Couldn't put it down. Utterly brilliant.

Then I saw the film. Oh dear. Barely competent, hacked-to-pieces screenplay (by the novelist, which just goes to show) that melds several fascinating characters into fewer boring ones, takes out almost every aspect of the book that made it wonderful and chugs along to its dismal conclusion. Shot on someone's knackered camcorder for tuppence. The single reason this is as well-regarded as it is by film snobs, is that it was seen as the "proper film antithesis of Twilight". Avoid at all costs, and pin your hopes on the "Hammer" remake 'Let Me In', out soon.

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 05 August, 2010, 10:04:30 PM
Barely competent, hacked-to-pieces screenplay (by the novelist, which just goes to show)

Calls to mind the amusing stories about what Neil Jordan had to do to try and salvage "Interview With The Vampire" once he finally managed to get Anne Rice to fuck off.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 05 August, 2010, 10:04:30 PM
Quote from: chaingunchimp on 05 August, 2010, 10:56:51 AM
let the right one in.

Loved the novel- lived it, almost, while reading. Couldn't put it down. Utterly brilliant.

Then I saw the film. Oh dear. Barely competent, hacked-to-pieces screenplay (by the novelist, which just goes to show) that melds several fascinating characters into fewer boring ones, takes out almost every aspect of the book that made it wonderful and chugs along to its dismal conclusion. Shot on someone's knackered camcorder for tuppence. The single reason this is as well-regarded as it is by film snobs, is that it was seen as the "proper film antithesis of Twilight". Avoid at all costs, and pin your hopes on the "Hammer" remake 'Let Me In', out soon.

SBT

On the novel, I couldn't agree more.

On the movie, I couldn't disagree more! It's just taken the crown from A Tale of Two Sisters to become my favourite movie of all time!

You may find this interesting, from what you've said about Lindqvist writing the screenplay: I had the pleasure of watching the film at this year's World Horror Convention with Lindqvist doing an introduction. He was asked if, having written the screenplay did he think the film surpassed the book. He said it was a tough call but eventually fell on the side of the movie. The original screenplay had the whole storyline with Thomas retained yet the director removed it. Of course there was something of a debate about that creative decision, yet, from what he was saying at WHC, I got the impression that Lindqvist finally agreed with the director.  

Withnail's liver

Try Linqvist's other book Handling the Undead. A very different take on the whole zombie thing.  I though it was an excellent read.
I have a heart condition.  If you hit me it's murder!

SmallBlueThing

Just goes to show that we all grab different things from movies and embrace the. Glad you liked it so much, but im afraid, for me watching it immediately after being so absorbed by the novel, it just angered me and saddened me.
For a far better zero budget (and it hurts that you have to qualify that these days, lest someone moans that there are no major stars and tsunamis) vampire flick, id strongly recommend jean rollin's 'two orphan vampires', which does everything 'let the right one in' sets out to do, only with tons more style and substance.
The 'LtROI' movie upset me so much, it stopped me reading lindqvist's next novel, 'handling the undead', which is shocking, pathetic, says nothing good about me, but is true.
SBT

Mikey

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 06 August, 2010, 09:03:26 AM
On the movie, I couldn't disagree more! It's just taken the crown from A Tale of Two Sisters to become my favourite movie of all time!

I'm with HOO-HAA block, although I haven't read the book. A Tale of Two Sisters is excellent too! Have you seen the remake (The Uninvited)? I haven't and really struggle to see why I would - it's perfect already.

(I finished Swamp Thing - now moved onto 'Drumlins Symposium'  :|)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

puggdogg

Today I read all through The Unadulterated Cat by Terry Pratchett. I'd have to say it's more for cat lovers than it is Pratchett fans. It was funny in places but I think I'll always prefer his writing style used for the Discworld.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 August, 2010, 09:16:46 AM
Just goes to show that we all grab different things from movies and embrace the. Glad you liked it so much, but im afraid, for me watching it immediately after being so absorbed by the novel, it just angered me and saddened me.
For a far better zero budget (and it hurts that you have to qualify that these days, lest someone moans that there are no major stars and tsunamis) vampire flick, id strongly recommend jean rollin's 'two orphan vampires', which does everything 'let the right one in' sets out to do, only with tons more style and substance.
The 'LtROI' movie upset me so much, it stopped me reading lindqvist's next novel, 'handling the undead', which is shocking, pathetic, says nothing good about me, but is true.
SBT

It's what makes us human, SMT! Variety is literally the spice of life.  :)

Quote from: Withnail's liver on 06 August, 2010, 09:14:06 AM
Try Linqvist's other book Handling the Undead. A very different take on the whole zombie thing.  I though it was an excellent read.

I really enjoyed it too. Very refreshing and delightfully character-driven. Utterly heart-breaking, of course...

Quote from: Mikey on 06 August, 2010, 09:42:45 AM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 06 August, 2010, 09:03:26 AM

A Tale of Two Sisters is excellent too! Have you seen the remake (The Uninvited)? I haven't and really struggle to see why I would - it's perfect already.

Good God, I couldn't bring myself to watch the remake... Ugh.

(I might grab it when it goes down to £3 in HMV - just out of curiosity. But I'm expecting it to be an abomination  :lol:).

M.I.K.

Quote from: Mikey on 06 August, 2010, 09:42:45 AM
I'm with HOO-HAA block, although I haven't read the book.

I am too, and I have.

mogzilla

thomas wogan is dead by david hughes and grandville by bryan talbot   and art of kenny who has dropped on the mat so reading that next.