Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Just finished The Night Watch, absolutely brilliant. Have never thought of myself as a fantasy guy but really, really got stuck into this. A corking read.

Jared Katooie

Finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut and am now reading another famous novel - The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler.

Paul faplad Finch

Finished Every Last Drop, now moved on to My Dead Body.

I've given up trying to predict who is going to live or die or anything else thats gonna happen in these books and I'm just along for the ride. I'm gutted that this is the last one but at the same time pleased that he hasn't strung the character out over 20/30 books like so many authors do when they cotton on to a succesful character.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 12 August, 2010, 08:25:46 PM
Finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut and am now reading another famous novel - The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler.

Arh Kurt Vonnegut is my favourite author. Hope you enjoyed it. My personal favourite of his is 'Deadeye Dick' if you've not read it?

Kerrin

Not read "Deadeye Dick" yet but did read "Sirens of Titan" recently, what a fantastic book. Contains some of the finest sentences I've ever encountered.

Just received a parcel from Amazon containing "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet" By David Mitchell, which has a wonderful cover that resembles something from the Folio Society. Sumptuous is a fitting description.

Even better than that though. I got "Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn", the hardback (which I wasn't expecting), Woo-Hoo! I've been trying to get this for reasonable money for ages. I'm struggling not to read it RIGHT NOW.

SmallBlueThing

Finishing Rebecca Levene's 'Anno Mortis', which has been ten thousand times better than i expected, and may be my favourite of the 'tomes of the dead' series, nudging our jaspre's 'barefoot zombie' into second place after a good run at the top of the hit parade.
Next up, a long-overdue reread of Thrill Power Overload', inspired by the thread hereabouts.
SBT

IAMTHESYSTEM

A perenniel favourite, A Scanner Darkly by Philip I've taken far too many drugs than are good for me K Dick.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Keef Monkey

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 August, 2010, 06:41:04 PM
Finishing Rebecca Levene's 'Anno Mortis', which has been ten thousand times better than i expected, and may be my favourite of the 'tomes of the dead' series, nudging our jaspre's 'barefoot zombie' into second place after a good run at the top of the hit parade.
Next up, a long-overdue reread of Thrill Power Overload', inspired by the thread hereabouts.
SBT

Nice one, I've literally just bought both of those (Waterstones have a cushy 3 for 2 deal on)! So far with the Tomes (I've been reading them in order of release) I've anjoyed I, Zombie and The Words of Their Roaring the most. Good to know these are good 'uns.

SmallBlueThing

Ive found them very hard to get, as compared to the other Abaddon titles, they either sell much faster or arent stocked in the same numbers. At least in my local Waterstones.
My favourites so far have been Way of the Barefoot Zombie and Tide of Souls, but as i say, Anno Mortis may end up nudging aside the competition to take the top spot, purely on pace, sheer level of fun, for bringing Army of Darkness to mind in various places, having zombie tigers, and cheekily seemingly writing in a much-loved tv time traveller as one of the main cast in their much-argued semi-canonical ginger haired incarnation. Though i may just be reading what i want to read into that!
There's only a couple Ive not read, and i aim to pick them up as soon as i can. And if zombie fiction is your thang, and you havent already, please check out The Permuted Press.

And, lest we forget, HOO-HAR's Flu.

SBT

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 August, 2010, 06:41:04 PM
Finishing Rebecca Levene's 'Anno Mortis', which has been ten thousand times better than i expected, and may be my favourite of the 'tomes of the dead' series

SBT, do you listen to the Abaddon Books podcast? Rebecca's been interviewed by them in at least one episode.

SmallBlueThing

I havent even gotten around to listening to the 2000AD podcasts that get mentioned here with some regularity... But no, i had no idea they did one. I access the internet through my dongle (steady...) and am therefore quite nervous of anything that might eat up my purchased 3Gb allowance per month.

Plus, and this is shit but also true, i associate podcasts with Ricky Gervaise, and so feel i may have accidentally made myself allergic!

however, if you can pop me a link and reassure me as to its size, i'll certainly give it a go.

SBT

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 August, 2010, 07:46:21 PM
however, if you can pop me a link and reassure me as to its size, i'll certainly give it a go.

Oh dear, you're asking the wrong man about megabytes (steady)... and as for links, I subscribe via itunes?! It is well worth listening to, mind. It's one of few podcasts I subscribe to faithfully and always proves entertaining.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 August, 2010, 08:52:45 PM
Quote from: Jared Katooie on 12 August, 2010, 08:25:46 PM

Arh Kurt Vonnegut is my favourite author. Hope you enjoyed it. My personal favourite of his is 'Deadeye Dick' if you've not read it?

It was quite good. I might give Deadeye Dick a go, once I finish the pillars of unread books I've erected all around my room.

nev

Sláine: Warrior's Dawn.
I've never read Sláine before this apart from the recent Langley stories.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 13 August, 2010, 10:06:24 PM
I might give Deadeye Dick a go

:P

(Sorry! I'm a twelve year old, I know...)