Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul faplad Finch

Not yet but I did pick it up in a 3 for a fiver in The Works a while back. Got it with Dorian Gray and The 39 Steps. Trouble is, I pick up these classics with all good intentions then inevitably put them aside in favour of shiny new releases.

It's a habit I need to break.  I've been talking about Weaveworld for months but it got pushed back for the last Pitt book, then the new Pratchett and now Robert Rankin. It will definitely be my next fantasy.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

The complete Humbug:Harvey Kurtzman, Will Elder, Arnold Roth... Really classic stuff. Impossible to believe that it's more than 50 years old.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

radiator

Almost finished LOEG: Black Dossier. Really loved revisiting volumes I and II, and was worried I wouldn't like BD from what I've heard about it, but have really enjoyed it so far. Some of the text sections are a bit of a slog, but they're fairly short, and a few of them are very enjoyable - Jeeves and Wooster vs Cthulhu in particular was cool.

Century 1910 up next...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Lucifal on 26 October, 2010, 06:21:23 PM
Just about to start Treasure Island. A book that features in the next block of my OU course on Children's Literature.

It is, without hyperbole, one of the greatest books ever written.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 October, 2010, 01:34:05 PM
Just about to start Treasure Island. A book that features in the next block of my OU course on Children's Literature.

Agreed
You may quote me on that.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: pops1983 on 27 October, 2010, 02:00:01 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 October, 2010, 01:34:05 PM

Agreed

I vote the same. One of those books I picked up out of mild curiosity and was floored by the level of craft. Oh Long John Silver > Jekyll/Hyde. He's just fuckin scarier.

The Doctor Alt 8

A pantomime script.
I have just been made promt so I need to learn the bloody thing...

Watch as it's inanity kills off my few remaining brain cells...

Robin Low

A few pages off finishing George Mann's The Affinity Bridge. I won't be rushing to read anything else by Mann. The book's not awful, but it is derivative and entirely predictable from beginning to end, with not a single surprise or original idea.

Okay, just read the epilogue, and I suppose there is a very mild surprise, but it's still a medicore read.

Regards

Robin

Mardroid

The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett, art by Paul Kirby.

I've just started it, but it's decent enough so far with the usual delightful Pratchett humour.  The writing style is a bit more economical as this book is as much about the lovely artwork which includes something on nearly every page and also some 2 page spreads. I actually miss the longer style of writing but on the other hand the art is lovely.

Keef Monkey

Just finished The Day Watch today. Loved it again, but maybe slightly less than the first book. Was fascinating to see things from the other side, and the quality of the stories was still really high. The writing seemed quite clunky though, particularly in the 3rd story where there's a bit too much banter about strategic analysis and what-not. There's a good chance that's down to the translation though, and otherwise it was again hugely enjoyable.

Not sure what I'll start on now, have the 2nd Mass Effect novel on the way from Amazon and that Barefoot Zombie one from Tomes of The Dead. Might toss a coin.

COMMANDO FORCES

I shall probably finish 'His Last Command' tonight, it's the second book in 'The Lost' omnibus by Dan Abnett.

Now shall I move straight onto the next part, or seeing as I had the next book in the Horus Heresy delivered this morning, 'The First Heretic' by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, shall I read that :-\

Keef Monkey

Decided to start on the 2nd Mass Effect novel (Ascension), only a couple of chapters in but my love for all things Mass Effecty mean I'm excited already.

Aaron A Aardvark

A History of Christianity by Diarmid MacCulloch - very thorough.

House of Usher

Fighting Ships 1850-1950, Sam Willis
STRIKE !!!

Kerrin

You'd need a hell of a punch to fight a ship.