Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exilewood

Yeah, I'm digging it. DON'T SPOIL THE ENDING! Sorry to shout. And as we're on a 'reading thread', wonder what Rimbaud would have made of it?

Thus far, it's right up there with 'Desperation' & 'The Stand' - great books.

I, Cosh

Quote from: House of Usher on 18 January, 2011, 01:52:25 PM
Lady Usher is currently reading Frank Herbert's Dune. She's almost a third of the way through. I think she both brave and patient.

Me: "Is it good?"
Her: "Not really."
You haven't noticed her being consumed by a sense of terrible purpose have you?
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: exilewood on 18 January, 2011, 07:47:13 PM
And as we're on a 'reading thread', wonder what Rimbaud would have made of it?

He'd have shouted "they drew first blood!" and opened up with the M-60. 

Sorry.

strontium_dog_90

Yeah, I'm digging it. DON'T SPOIL THE ENDING! Sorry to shout. And as we're on a 'reading thread', wonder what Rimbaud would have made of it?

Thus far, it's right up there with 'Desperation' & 'The Stand' - great books.

I'll try not to.

If you like "The Stand," I'd recommend "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon, too - that's well worth a read, if you've not come across it yet.

exilewood

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 January, 2011, 07:54:38 PM
And as we're on a 'reading thread', wonder what Rimbaud would have made of it?

He'd have shouted "they drew first blood!" and opened up with the M-60. 

Sorry.

I kind of opened the door and hung a "come on in!" sign out !

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 January, 2011, 07:49:21 PM
You haven't noticed her being consumed by a sense of terrible purpose have you?

Friend of Stevie's was recently gushing about how much she loves these books.

He asked, "So where does the oxygen come from?"

She chased him a up flight of stairs, out of the building & halfway down the street.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Michaelvk

Just finished Firestrike 7/9.. Excellent read if you're into that stuff..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

SquashedFly

Quote from: Michaelvk on 19 January, 2011, 07:22:35 AM
Just finished Firestrike 7/9.. Excellent read if you're into that stuff..

I just put that into Amazon and noticed it has the number of kills on the front cover.

I wish certain films did this. Then I could tell how bored I would get throughout it. When it comes to movies that are supposed to focus on action anyway...

El Chivo

Just finished 'The Walking Dead' up to the current one
Loved it, i'm hooked
Hoping the TV show will live up to it

Chi

Radbacker

Just finished the lsat few pages of World War Z, man what a read.  Had it lying around in the bookshelf for ages and for some reason never really bothered with it, picked it up Monday night and haven't really stopped till today (barring work of course).  Very well written and i could honestly believe it was a real historical book.  Only wish some of the stories went a bit longer but i guess thats the nature of the book.  Did i hear somewhere this was being turned into a movie, be interesting how they do it if it is.

CU Radbacker

Zarjazzer

Star Wars Legacy war 1 -art good, story I felt was a bit of a giant "Nam" style flashback disease.

Re-read Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. re-reading alas can often bring out all the ludicrous bits you missed in the excitement of the first read.And it did so in this case, all I kept thinking was wth? He's been poisoned,shot, blasted by magic and still going?

On to Orbus a book I bought entirely for the cover art which is lovely  and seems good so far even though it's third in a series.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

satchmo

Waiting on the postie for John Wyndham's Plan For Chaos, finally out in paperback and not the 60 quid university edition. It's an unpublished novel that he wrote at the same time he was writing Day of The Triffids. Supposedly it's not great, but it has clone Nazis in it so I don't see how. I'm really quite excited.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Radbacker on 19 January, 2011, 10:24:50 AM
Just finished the lsat few pages of World War Z, man what a read.  Had it lying around in the bookshelf for ages and for some reason never really bothered with it, picked it up Monday night and haven't really stopped till today (barring work of course).  Very well written and i could honestly believe it was a real historical book.  Only wish some of the stories went a bit longer but i guess thats the nature of the book.  Did i hear somewhere this was being turned into a movie, be interesting how they do it if it is.

CU Radbacker

I loved this book. I don't usually read horror (although it's not really horror) and I didn't expect to like it much but it really is brilliantly written. As you say, you feel as if you're reading accounts of a real event.

I hope that if they do make a film, they do it justice.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Mardroid

Uther by Jack Whyte.

I found out after picking it up that it's the last in a series... (sigh). That's one problem with libraries. I love them, but most of the books I find tend to be part of a series (which is fine, more to read!) but rarely does the first seem to be there.

I decided to give it a go anyway. It actually seems to be pretty self contained so far so I'll probably stick with it. I'm not too keen on the fact druids are depicted, so far, as 'bad', Celts* as barbaric** and Roman descended Britons as 'civilised'. I don't think it was ever quite as simple as that. To be fair this is from one person's (a Romano Briton) point of view. It is rather interesting so far though, and I'm probably nitpicking.

*Or even that the word 'celt' is used. I think that term actually comes from the Greeks and was little used by the actual celtic people of the time period.

**There is one depiction in the prologue of multiple human sacrifice. While there is some evidence this happened in the Celtic ancient world I don't think it was as rife as certain scholars made out. Certainly not in the post Roman time period in which this story is set.

Mardroid

Actually concerning the human sacrifice... turns out it's not exactly the norm for those people either. (Not much of a spoiler as this is covered in chapter 1 after the prologue. That's what I get for jumping to conclusions before reading on a bit. [spoiler]Basically it was the work of dark druids working up the people.[/spoiler]

I saw another possible error though. A celtic character located in Cambria (Southern Wales) refers to his people as 'Gael'. Those were the Irish and Scots Celts not those of the rest of Briton! That being said I do believe some Irish invaders did historically settle in part of Wales too, although they remained a minority there. Maybe these are their descendants.

Dear me I'm nitpicking. I am enjoying the book though.