Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

This week I am mostly reading Strontium Dog Agency Files vol.2
STRIKE !!!

SmallBlueThing

Re: Rama and god. Really?! Blimey, thanks for saving me from the guilt associated with not finishing a book. Though i may give the final one a go, just to experience the mounting horror as that particular revelation comes to pass. Astonishing that Clarke would put his name to it, but it does somewhat explain some of the changes between Rendzvous and the subsequent novel(s?).
SBT

TordelBack

It's been a long time since I read the series, but I have absolutely no recollection of [spoiler]God [/spoiler]coming into it - and I'd have been equally surprised to have seen Clarke of all people going down that road.  In fact I remember something entirely different, which tied back into some earlier Clarke stories.  The series in totality is a long haul, but I remember it as having a satisfying resolution.

O Lucky Stevie!

Haven't read any of the Rama sequels* since they were published but that certainly is the implication which Stevie took away from the final volume.

He did have bronchitis at the time though; his other abiding memory of this book is [spoiler]spontaneously unleashing [/spoiler][spoiler] a cup full of expectorant [/spoiler][spoiler] over an early chapter).[/spoiler]

If you enjoyed Rendezvous then your best place to start with Alastair Reynolds is his stand-alone Pushing ice which begina as a more blue-colar take on this scenario before transporting the reader in a completely different direction.

*unneccessary as they are; everything one needs to know about Rama is right there in arguably the most perfect of Clarke's books.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

locustsofdeath!

Just got a collection with the Stainless Steel Rat in it. I'm excited.

House of Usher

Jane Eyre and I are going to be constant companions throughout February. If I had ever said you'd have to pay me read it, I'd have spoken truer than I'd intended.
STRIKE !!!

HOO-HAA

Think I'm going to bring Citadel of Chaos on my adventures to the SFX WEEKENDER. Nothing like a bit of Fighting Fantasy to pass time in an airport :)

House of Usher

...and Strontium Dog Agency Files vol.4 arrived in the post today.
STRIKE !!!

exilewood

Does that have 'The Killing' in it? I loved that so much first time around.

House of Usher

'The Killing' is in volume 2.
STRIKE !!!

Bolt-01

Micro-Bolt has read S/D Case files 02 several times now- and IMO it is the greatest single volume of thrills, ever. It has also inspired the lad to come up with his own S/D- Tommy Four-arms. Think I'll be drawing him over the weekend!

Dandontdare

I'll tell you what I'm NOT reading, and that's Blackest Night. When will DC get the message that people who don't collect monthly comics and won't pay the extra £5-£7 for a hardback are still willing to throw money at them for paperbacks of the major stories? How long is it since blackest night was out? Still no TPBs. marvel would have had them out in individual volumes months ago and have a collected deluxe edition on the shelves by now. GRRRRR.

Still, not a totally wasted journey to the comic shop, as I picked up vol 1 of Elephantmen, which I'm enjoying immensely.

I've also been revisiting Doom Patrol, 100 bullets and Transmetroplitan from the library.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: House of Usher on 03 February, 2011, 11:07:24 PM
...and Strontium Dog Agency Files vol.4 arrived in the post today.

Ah SD Vol 4. It's not Vol 5, which makes it good times.

Reading The Windup Girl by Bacigalupi. Didn't think I'd like it, the title made me think it would be a prose artificial girl manga. Those drive me nuts. But it's quite good so far. Set in Thailand in a future where all foods and some people have been genehacked. While that is interesting, the best parts are the various character in government and commerce fighting for advantage of one form or another.

Also reading Rogue Trooper Vol 2. I have no idea why it is readable. Someone smart should explain it to me. I mean it is. Readable. But why???

Emp

Reduced to reading Shaun hutchson Outcasts.............found it tucked away in the back of the bookcase.

Strontium Claw

I've read a ton of GN's recently including:

Mezolith - Strange and intriguing, It left me wanting more, Will there be any further stories?

It Was the War of the Trenches - A brilliant anthology of stories depicting the horror of WW1 from a French perspective. Works well as a companion piece to Charley's War.

Scalped vol 6 The Gnawing - The latest TPB of the Native American crime drama, quite simply the best ongoing title currently published by DC.