Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Just read Case Files 16, pretty patchy in places but still very enjoyable. Stuff like Raptaur is great and looks sublime, but the filler quota is pretty high in it. Still essential reading obviously.

Also picked up the first Aliens omnibus of the old Dark Horse comics. Used to read them as a kid so it's a good nostalgia kick. Have only read the first story so far and have noticed they've renamed Hicks and Newt to try and keep it canon post-Alien 3. This, despite there being flashbacks to LV42something (now renamed The Rim) and Drake and Vasquez and whatnot all getting mentioned. That's a little weird, and the artwork in the first story is well ropey. Still, I'm on a real Aliens kick at the moment so am enjoying having something extra outside the films to dig into.

TordelBack

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 February, 2011, 11:40:25 PM
Have only read the first story so far and have noticed they've renamed Hicks and Newt to try and keep it canon post-Alien 3. This, despite there being flashbacks to LV42something (now renamed The Rim) and Drake and Vasquez and whatnot all getting mentioned.

Cheeses Fapping Crust.  That is officially the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.  And I'm a Star Wars fan.

DrJomster

Just read Case Files 16, pretty patchy in places but still very enjoyable. Stuff like Raptaur is great and looks sublime, but the filler quota is pretty high in it. Still essential reading obviously.

Have to say, I do want to read ALL the case files but I am holding off till they go digital. I was "away" in the nineties and am a little concerned that it might be hard going. I think it might be more palatable digitally however. Not quite sure why... The lower price point will obviously help though.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Emp

Captain Britain, Alan Davis. The stories with the Technet etc. Its been gathering dust on a shelf for years so thought it was time to take another look, just sorry i dont have the stories relating to the Jaspers Warp now that i read it.

HOO-HAA

Also picked up the first Aliens omnibus of the old Dark Horse comics. Used to read them as a kid so it's a good nostalgia kick. Have only read the first story so far and have noticed they've renamed Hicks and Newt to try and keep it canon post-Alien 3. This, despite there being flashbacks to LV42something (now renamed The Rim) and Drake and Vasquez and whatnot all getting mentioned. That's a little weird, and the artwork in the first story is well ropey. Still, I'm on a real Aliens kick at the moment so am enjoying having something extra outside the films to dig into.

Yeah, I found that in the bargain bin of my local FPI and had a good ol' chuckle to myself. It's not the George Best, for sure. The front cover is quite fetching as I recall...

SmallBlueThing

Emp, as it happens panini have just published 'captain britain: vol 4 the seige of camelot', collecting hulk comic #42 - 55, 57 - 63, marvel superheroes #377 - 389 and the daredevils #1 - 11, jaspers warp included. Also brilliant work by dave thorpe, steve parkhouse, paul neary and john stokes. £15.99.
Im reading it as i type.
SBT

Jared Katooie

I'm reading "Hippo eats Dwarf", it's basically a list of various hoaxes and stuff. It's not great, but it's sporadically interesting. I'm also reading "Blackest Night" which has been quite good so far.

I was reading Robohunter: Day of the Droids earlier too.

SmallBlueThing

Forgot to mention, the latest cap britain volume also features cover art by our very own mr staz johnson. Who not only adds a layer of grittiness to john stokes and alan davis's designs, but proves to be one of few artists ive seen who can draw the captain's original, and best, costume. Splendid stuff.
SBT

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 February, 2011, 06:52:52 PM
...who can draw the captain's original, and best, costume.

With the 70s/ 80s amulet?

SmallBlueThing

Yes, though i read your post as '70s/80s mullet', which confused me.
SBT

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie's halfway through Promethea.

Take everything that you've heard about J.H. Williams III's art & multiply it by itself.

The multiply the sum by itself again.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Spaceghost

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 14 February, 2011, 08:26:55 AM

Take everything that you've heard about J.H. Williams III's art & multiply it by itself.

Promethea is my favourite Alan Moore comic, hands down. I know it's not to everyone's tastes but to me it's a masterpiece.

How are you finding it Stevie?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Keef Monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 February, 2011, 11:46:49 PM
Have only read the first story so far and have noticed they've renamed Hicks and Newt to try and keep it canon post-Alien 3. This, despite there being flashbacks to LV42something (now renamed The Rim) and Drake and Vasquez and whatnot all getting mentioned.

Cheeses Fapping Crust.  That is officially the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.  And I'm a Star Wars fan.

Just to confuse things even more, when Ripley eventually appears she's still called Ripley. 'Billie' and 'Wilks' are well pleased to see her after everything they went through back in the day.

Started 'The Fall' by Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, too early to tell but I think it's going to be another doozy.

SmallBlueThing

A sele tion of Meg floppies, grabbed randomly before leaving for work. Pulp Sci-Fi consistently made me laugh, the Colin Wilson collection contains one of my favourite latter Dredds; Relentless, and the Jock collection is just page after page of brilliance. Utterly love Shirley Temple of Doom.

Sadly, i seem to have given myself eyestrain in the process, and now only a few paracetamol and ibuprofen from an overdose, and have had to resort to reading glasses.

SBT

exilewood

Quote from: Lee Bates on 14 February, 2011, 09:45:24 AM
Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 14 February, 2011, 08:26:55 AM

Promethea is my favourite Alan Moore comic, hands down. I know it's not to everyone's tastes but to me it's a masterpiece.

How are you finding it Stevie?

'Promethea' is bloody brilliant! You'll enjoy the ending!