Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

A pre-work hobble into waterstones revealed no lovely shiny casefiles 17 to spend my points on, so i settled for H.P. Lovecraft's The Colour Out Of Space; penguin modern classics edition, £3, 78 pages, collected with The Outsider and The Hound- none of which i'd previously read. All good stuff.

Later i shall be reading Whiteout and Whiteout: Melt, maybe giving Mezolith another go, and continuing with Ben Bova's Mercury. All dependent upon what my guys want to do tonight and what time they go to bed.
SBT

Zarjazzer

Finally finished Orbus an excellent Neil Asher book featuring ancient aliens as mutant viruses and why immortality can be a curse. Also turning over a rock may call back some things that used to move solar systems for their own amusement.

More ideas and rail guns blasting and lasers conveying viruses, worms and trojans to corrupt artifical intelligences than is good for my feeble mind.

:o

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Jared Katooie

I read a very specific part of Case Files 17.

I, Cosh

Got the collected Daytripper this afternoon. Didn't know much about it, just seen it recommended by a couple of people I can usually trust, so the end of the first issue came as a bit of a shock. The end of the second even more so.
We never really die.

Noisybast

Finally got round to starting Clive Barker's Cabal.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

SmallBlueThing

I think i quite enjoyed cabal, which i bought when it came out and queued for hours to get barker to sign. Huge fan of nightbreed, so was gutted he never continued with the story, as it would have salved the gaping wound that the lack of sequels left.
SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 February, 2011, 05:47:16 PM
Got the collected Daytripper this afternoon. Didn't know much about it, just seen it recommended by a couple of people I can usually trust, so the end of the first issue came as a bit of a shock. The end of the second even more so.

I think Daytripper is one of the best things I have ever read, right up there with Palomar and Halo Jones in its power to move me, but I'm afraid my money ran out halfway through the run and I had to shamefully resort to teh torrentz to see it through.  I have one last book token to my name, and have resolved to spend it on the collected edition to make recompense. 

Roger Godpleton

Re-reading Vineland. It's one of the lesser Pynchon novels, probably suffering because it's his most straightforwardly political novel, but it's still the bomb, yo. I'd say it's the most accessible one, maybe.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 February, 2011, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 20 February, 2011, 05:47:16 PM

I think Daytripper is one of the best things I have ever read, right up there with Palomar and Halo Jones in its power to move me, but I'm afraid my money ran out halfway through the run and I had to shamefully resort to teh torrentz to see it through.  I have one last book token to my name, and have resolved to spend it on the collected edition to make recompense. 

I'll have to pick this up. Love the art of Moon and Ba. They did great work on BPRD 1947, Casanova, and Umbrella Academy. Glad to hear they can write as well.

Just finished the second Milligan Hellblazer Vol, Hooked. That is more like it! Scab had good moments but was a little choppy overall. And Milligan's not the only one shining like a new penny. I haven't seen Bisley look this good since his time at tooth.

Now going to bed to read Leviathon for the first time. Envy me.

Radbacker

I wish Barker would write some more Cabal novels.

I'm reading Feast of Crows again at the moment in preperation for the Game of Thrones TV series and hopefully the next book.  (C'mon George it's only been 5 years for a book that was supposidly half finished when you did the last one :-[ :-[)
No GN's lately but I belive i will visit my friend with all the BOys to catch up.

CU Radabcker

TordelBack

Phonogram.  Hey, that was pretty good!  It's a pity some of the celebrity likenesses weren't a bit easier to identify (Damon Albarn in particular looked more like Alex James, which is a little too confusing, if you ask me), but as an argument from the very specific to the universally general it was very clever.  I'm thinking of trying to track down The Singles Club, is it worth my while?

Mike Carroll

I've been re-reading Cerebus lately... Still on the second-last book (Latter Days) but it's really tough going, even though this latest re-read is very much in "skip all the boring text bits" mode.

It really does feel like Dave Sim ran out of steam after Church & State (books 3 & 4) and then just coasted for the next fifteen or so years, making up the rest of the story as he went along. The following twelve books do contain a few moments of sheer genius amid the deluge of anti-church / pro-faith polemic, but they're widely-spaced and hardly worth the trouble.

I sure am glad I wasn't buying the comic on a monthly basis: I can only imagine the utter despair at receiving each new issue and discovering that, yet again, all it contains is twenty pages of Cerebus tied to a chair while the Three Stooges (who are even less funny in Cerebus than they were in their movies) run around dressed as priests. Or twenty pages of alternating identical panels laid out in checkerboard format while Ernest Hemingway mopes wordlessly in front of a campfire (Form & Void). Or F. Scott Fitzgerald drinking himself to death on a riverboat (Going Home). Or drawn-out scenes of Oscar Wilde dying slowly interspersed with scenes of Cerebus sitting alone in front of a cafe (Melmoth).

See, this is what comes out when people put their desire to create literature over their desire to create entertainment...

-- Mike

TordelBack

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 22 February, 2011, 03:55:51 PM
I sure am glad I wasn't buying the comic on a monthly basis: I can only imagine the utter despair at receiving each new issue and discovering that, yet again, all it contains is twenty pages of Cerebus tied to a chair while the Three Stooges (who are even less funny in Cerebus than they were in their movies) run around dressed as priests.

That about sums it up.  Although for me it was the combination of a gloomier-than-usual Woody Allen and a complete re-write of the Book of Genesis-according-to-Dave in 6 point type that really depressed me.  Personally I enjoyed Melmoth (different, certainly), much of Mothers and Daughters (lots to think about and some very clever tricks and spoofs) and especially Guys (some very funny stuff there), but once Rick's Story showed up it really started to drag on a monthly basis.  Occasional flashes of genius stlll in there, and some interesting (if bizarre) 'opinions' on Fitzgerald and Hemmingway but Going Home and Latter Days were a long, painful slog to the [spoiler]underwhelming sphinx-based[/spoiler] finish [spoiler](huh?)[/spoiler].

SmallBlueThing

To Sail Beyond The Sunset, by Robert Heinlein. Allegedly his most controversial novel, being as it is a bawdy memoir of an impossibly old, time travelling woman whose life has been chocka with sex, incest, underage sex, more sex and cats who walk through walls. It's quite pissibly the most fantastic and enjoyable novel ive read in months and even though im not even halfway through, im already mourning its end.
SBT

SmallBlueThing

"pissibly"! :-D good moaning, ive come for ze fallen madonna with ze big boobies!
SBT