Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Just picked up 'I'm In The Band' by Sean Yseult, all about her days in White Zombie. It's kind of like a photo diary/biog, haven't read anything but have had a flick through it. Seems great stuff, not least because Ms Yseult made quite the impression on me as a youngster.

El Chivo

The Greek Seaman / Jacqueline Howett

Some interesting reviews...

Chi

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: El Chivo on 29 March, 2011, 11:23:32 PM
The Greek Seaman / Jacqueline Howett

Some interesting reviews...

Chi

Fuck off ;)
You may quote me on that.

El Chivo

Mardroid

Not so much reading as recently read today (it was quite a short story):

Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale

Written  By Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon
(The Outline was by Joss but it was written by Zack)

One of the things that bugged me about the short life of Firefly, and certain events in the follow up film, Serenity, is what little we learned about the mysterious Shepherd Book's background information.

Not any more, the answers are in this book. [spoiler]I was a little disappointed in that one thing I suspected turned out to be pretty close to the mark... then read a bit further and there was a whole other twist![/spoiler]

I really enjoyed it, although I imagine some people will not. (I say this because I like the other two Serenity GNs too, then come on-line and they got panned!) This is rather different from those others though, and the format does take a little getting used to. (I.e we keep jumping a few years back in time, so it's a bit like a Memento experience.) There's a certain pay-off which makes it worth it I think.

Presentation wise, it's a thin shiny (in both meanings of the word) hardback book, Cover art in nice muted tones by Steve Morris. The Art inside is by Chris Samnee and Dave Stewart. Starting out, I found myself wishing a bit for more colour tones, but I got used to it. It works well.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mardroid on 30 March, 2011, 12:45:07 AM
Not so much reading as recently read today (it was quite a short story):

Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale

I've been meaning to pick up the Serenity GNs. Do they move the story on, from after the movie? Or bridge the gap between series and movie? Or both, maybe?

TordelBack

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 31 March, 2011, 06:55:02 PM
I've been meaning to pick up the Serenity GNs. Do they move the story on, from after the movie? Or bridge the gap between series and movie? Or both, maybe?

Little bit of both.  I haven't read The Shepherd's Tale, but Better Days and  Those Left Behind are both set between the series and film (Those Left Behind is a clumsy bridging tale wrapping up loose threads from the series) and AFAIC are not the best comics ever written.  The single-issue Float Out on the other hand isn't at all bad, centering on a memorial-of-sorts for Wash, but it has a slightly predictable twist which does develop the story beyond the movie just a teeny bit.

Mardroid

And the Shepherd's Tale starts at the moment when Shepherd Book is (Serenity Spoiler) [spoiler]mortally wounded in Serenity, i.e. shortly before the Serenity crew return to Haven and finds it decimated,[/spoiler] then jumps back a few years at a time and ends in his childhood.

I liked Those Left Behind, although I hoped for more of a pay off with [spoiler]the men with blue gloves[/spoiler]. Actually, I didn't think the other was bad, although I thought it the weakest of the GNs. It had cool robots in it though.

TordelBack

Despite every attempt to prolong my reading of Surface Detail, including restricting myself to one chapter at a sitting, I've reached the end all too soon - but what an end!   As it wrapped up, I was thinking to myself "well, that was by far the best Culture book since Use of Weapons", and then I read the final line...

A truly great read, it adds some clever new elements to the Culture, deals in original and thought-provoking fashion with some big under-explored SF concepts, every character was engaging (particularly the wonderfully vile villain), and it has a gripping twisty underlying plot.  

And yes, the Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints is officially my favourite foul-mouthed Ship.  

Just brilliant to see Banks back on top form.  Get on with it Richmond.

And now onto my long-promised chronological-order attempt on the Flashman papers, which will include several volumes I've never read.  I've just to get my pocket atlas out and we're off...

mogzilla

on their way is" drop dead gorgeous" and "autumn:the city" courtsey of amazon and the elder scrolls morrorwind for a bit of retro rpg goodness....i hope,is it any good?

HOO-HAA

Quote from: mogzilla on 04 April, 2011, 08:06:35 PM
on their way is" drop dead gorgeous" and "autumn:the city" courtsey of amazon

Thank you, sir, for giving DDG a whirl! Really hope you like it! :)

mogzilla

your welcome sirrah! still not landed yet tho' grrr...hows the flu sequel coming along?

SmallBlueThing

Well, after taking a break from the 'classic scifi' ive been reading since the year turned, ive gone through a couple of 'missing dr who adventues', courtesy of virgin books, before jumping back aboard the scifi train. Tonight i start 'the age of ra' by james lovegrove. I know nothing about it, other than the bookseller magazine and sfx are quoted as saying nice things, and that i like the cover enough to read the back. Sounded intriguing enough (in a 'lost 2000ad strip' kind'a way) to gamble eight quid on.
SBT

Lucifal

Picked up Albion and King of Crooks, published by Titan, in hardback from The Works the other day. Now they bring back memories.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: mogzilla on 05 April, 2011, 05:06:15 PM
...hows the flu sequel coming along?

Thanks for asking! It's ongoing, mate. Shaping up real nice, I think, and should be well scrubbed up for Halloween release! :)