Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

QuoteWow, that's very kind of you, Rich!

Not at all! I have one eye on clearing some shelf space!

Should be over in NI sometime the middle of next month...

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 June, 2011, 09:36:03 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 20 June, 2011, 09:33:59 AM
Beast House! That's the one- and i remember The Cellar as being utterly disturbing, and very, very nasty.
SBT

It is indeed. There's one of his called Endless Night that even I think may go 'too far' at times.

I read a lot of Laymon in my teens and as someone said, they can merge into one but Endless Night is as clear in my head now as the first time I read it. Seriously disturbed stuff but so relentlessly paced that you just can't bring yourself to stop. I read it in one sitting.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 June, 2011, 01:47:18 PM
QuoteWow, that's very kind of you, Rich!

Not at all! I have one eye on clearing some shelf space!

Should be over in NI sometime the middle of next month...

What say I relieve you of all that pulp horror, Rich, in exchange for a pint or two at a local tavern of your choice! :D

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 20 June, 2011, 03:05:10 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 June, 2011, 09:36:03 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 20 June, 2011, 09:33:59 AM
Beast House! That's the one- and i remember The Cellar as being utterly disturbing, and very, very nasty.
SBT

It is indeed. There's one of his called Endless Night that even I think may go 'too far' at times.

I read a lot of Laymon in my teens and as someone said, they can merge into one but Endless Night is as clear in my head now as the first time I read it. Seriously disturbed stuff but so relentlessly paced that you just can't bring yourself to stop. I read it in one sitting.

I love that pacey stuff. Shaun Hutson has that quality too: the 'okay, one more chapter' kind of draw that keeps you motoring way past sleepy-sleep time :) Can't beat a bit of that!

SmallBlueThing

I thought Flu had an echo of that 80s style page-turner pace, mr simmons. And that's the last bit of bum-suckery you get from me til i at least receive a signed copy of Drop Dead Gorgeous!
SBT

Mardroid

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is proving an interesting read. Basically it's thieves and con merchants pulling a major scam (amongst other things) in a fantasy setting in a culture reminiscent of late medieval Spain or Italy. Quite different from the kind of fantasy that I'm used to, but welcome. Apparently it's the first in a series of books called 'The Gentlemen Bastards sequence.'

Con merchants in the real world are terrible people considering what they do, and the bereft people they leave in their wake, but I'll admit I find scams interesting to read about. These people are bad... but they're clever and entertaining to read about. If you've seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or even The Real Hustle, you may know what I mean. Putting that in a fantasy setting with likeable rascals (they steal from the rich to... well... give to themselves but they're very likeable characters) pulling the wool over the eyes over both their Capa* and the law is a fun read. Mix in a bit of magic too, but used in a very interesting specific way (and not by them)... a recipe for a great read.

*A kind of criminal boss.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 20 June, 2011, 08:28:37 PM
I thought Flu had an echo of that 80s style page-turner pace, mr simmons. And that's the last bit of bum-suckery you get from me til i at least receive a signed copy of Drop Dead Gorgeous!
SBT

Well that's what I was aiming for... Hell, it's all I know! 80s horror made me the man I am today :)

(oh and thanks, man. Bum-suckery always appreciated). 

The Legendary Shark

Finally got myself a copy of "The Complete Maus" off Amazon after it's been on my To Buy list for yonks.

I'm about half way through Book I - just can't put it down. Nothing I can say would come close to doing such a work justice. If you haven't read it, you're missing something.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

'Black Hand Gang' by Pat Kelleher set in WW1. Soldiers waiting to attack an impregnable German Trench  find themselves facing Alien adversaries instead. Sort of Charlies War meets H.P Lovecraft.  Great idea though there is a computer game called NecroVision that had a similar theme to it.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 22 June, 2011, 08:28:11 PM
'Black Hand Gang' by Pat Kelleher

Must admit I'm quite tempted by this.

HdE

I just read the Dredd Case Files, volume 14.

Holy cow! I've never read 'Necropolis' before. Didn't think I'd enjoy it. But... what a rattling good read!

I even found myself wailing 'NOOOOO!' when it looked like [spoiler]Anderson got squished by that tank![/spoiler]
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Bolt-01

Half way through 'Twitchhiker' by Paul Smith. An entertaining enough read but I'm pushing on as I've got a lovely big book about PIXARs short films to read next; and after that it will be Long John Silver!

House of Usher

I'm reading GCSE English syllabus stuff.  :|

I'm alright with Of Mice and Men because I've taught that before. It's very studyable.
I loved To Kill a Mockingbird.
Heroes was not a bad novella for the young adult market by an author whom teachers are very keen on, Robert Cormier.
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress was enjoyable but a bit limited for a study text.
That's my week so far. Today I'm reading the (Australian) factual book Riding the Black Cockatoo.

I've another three books to get through after that, but I'm behind schedule. I've got to mark exam papers on this stuff starting Monday.
STRIKE !!!

Zarjazzer

Kraken was good with more ideas per page than many a one I've read. Deaths Head is a future sci-fi war which kept me reading though the main character Sven is a utter bastard.  Just started Anno Frankenstein which is a great read -a sort of steampunk world where Britain faces off with the dastardly Nazis and their undead soldiers.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 27 June, 2011, 06:42:28 PM
Just started Anno Frankenstein which is a great read -a sort of steampunk world where Britain faces off with the dastardly Nazis and their undead soldiers.

Hah! Who's the author? Sounds quite Abaddon Books...