Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 18 July, 2011, 12:53:15 PM
While I was doing some tidying up over the weekend I had a flick through some of my issues of The Punisher from the early 90s. I noticed that the writer for some issues (the Eurohit storyline) was a Dan Abnett. Would this be the same one who writes for the prog or just a coincidence?

Yup, that's him. From Wiki:

QuoteHis work for Marvel includes runs on Death's Head 2, Battletide, Knights of Pendragon (all of which he co-created), The Punisher, War Machine, Annihilation: Nova and various X-Men titles.

He's also worked for DC and Dark Horse, not to mention Games Workshop!

Zarjazzer

Daemonifuge by Kev Walker and Jim Campbell. It's an odd size more like A4 than a standard comic book but  that  just lets you appreciate the terrific art and story more.  I never did get all the originals so this TBPK filled a few missing episodes. Kev Walker makes a convincing Space Marine and there's a picture of Jim Campbell (once of these 'ere boards-come back soon Jim! )  in a black hat!

Painful memories for some but this is a must for a Black Library and 40k  fan like me.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris.  Opens with an detailed autobiographical account of working as an Elf in Santa's Grotto at Macy's in Manhattan, which is genuinely one of the funniest things I have ever read.  If you liked Bad Santa (and only the wrong-of-head don't), you will love the reality as meticulously described here.   

I heard a live reading of a few of his essays on Radio 4 a while back, and now I can't get enough of this guy's writing.  It's as if Michael Chabon and Garrison Keillor had a gay daytime-soap-addicted baby. 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 July, 2011, 11:16:37 PM
It's as if Michael Chabon and Garrison Keillor had a gay daytime-soap-addicted baby.

Enough about yourself...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 July, 2011, 11:16:37 PM
Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris.  Opens with an detailed autobiographical account of working as an Elf in Santa's Grotto at Macy's in Manhattan, which is genuinely one of the funniest things I have ever read.  If you liked Bad Santa (and only the wrong-of-head don't), you will love the reality as meticulously described here.   

I heard a live reading of a few of his essays on Radio 4 a while back, and now I can't get enough of this guy's writing.  It's as if Michael Chabon and Garrison Keillor had a gay daytime-soap-addicted baby.

I'm really into David Sedaris's spoken word stuff and have been meaning to check out his writing. Really must get on with that the fella's hilarious.

radiator

Heads up - the most recent series of Meet David Sedaris is currently on the iPlayer - enjoy his stuff but much more so when it is read in front of an audience by the man himself.

Especially like his essay about Santa, and the variations on the Santa myth around the world.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 20 July, 2011, 11:26:55 AM
Especially like his essay about Santa, and the variations on the Santa myth around the world.

"Six-to-Eight Black Men" - that was the first one i heard on Radio 4 and I nearly crashed the car laughing.

Here's the You-Tube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdpte1W0vk

He is the king of Santa humour.  I actually like his studio readings better than his live ones - the audiences seem horribly smug.

Mardroid

The Hobbit

I've read it before (more than once) but what with all the release of the dwarves' pictures on the film thread and all, I felt like giving it another go.  Still an enjoyable story. 

[spoiler]Apart from Orcrist and some knives (and some bows they got from Beorn) the dwarves are  unarmed though. (Maybe they pick up that other cool stuff in the Lonely Mountain.) Or the film is just departing from the book to make them realised action heroes rather than a bunch of grumpy beardies needing to be rescued by Gandalf and Mr Baggins all the time. Actually I wouldn't mind that change, as long as Bilbo still gets to do his stuff.[/spoiler]

radiator

I'm currently ploughing through the excellent A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin. Really enjoyed the TV series, and essentially it's like watching a directors cut of that if you see what I mean. The only problem is that I'm going to have a hard time resisting going straight to book two of the series when I'm done with this one when ideally I'd like to wait for the second series of GoT, watch that, then read book two.

I've heard good things about it, so I've just ordered Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself, hopefully that will act as a sort of sword and scorcery nicotine patch to tide me over until next year...

HatefulCactus

Digital issues of Animal Man by Grant Morrison. I recommend issue #5 for any Looney Tunes fans out there.
Feel My Hate!

Radbacker

my life is empty again, just finished Dance With Dragons.  PLease Mr martin try not to take 6 yerasfor the next one it will be unbearable.  It was good to catch up with the Imp, Danny, jJon and Bran after such a long wait (nearly 10 years since any new Imp chapters).
quick spoiler thoughts/questions to any one that has read it
repeat absolutly do not read this if you are watching the TV serieds or not finished book 5
[spoiler]I'm seroise you'll only have yourself to blame[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Ok JOn Snow dead or not? I hope not seems a bit excessive and well I dont see how it can serve the story like Robs and Eds deaths.  I honestly dont think he's dead remember Theons final chapter was rather grim and semed to be an end for the character but he was back this book (although without a few fingers), hopefully even though he copped at least 3 knives he survived.  Danny's dragons are truelly terrifying beasties and I cant wait to see them in battle.  Poor Price Martell of Dorn guess he's not one of the Heads of the Dragon.  Interesting that he's introduced a new Targeryian, might muddy the succession up a bit.[/spoiler]

CU Radbacker 

Richmond Clements

Finished Going Postal, which I started about six months ago and then had a massive sojourn into reading review copies for the next half year. It is bloody good. I forget just how good a writer TP is...

So now, at long last, I'm reading Surface Detail!

I still have a pile of review books to read, but I'm having a break!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: HatefulCactus on 27 July, 2011, 12:16:37 AM
Digital issues of Animal Man by Grant Morrison. I recommend issue #5 for any Looney Tunes fans out there.

Those are some great, great comics. Up there amongst my favouritte of all time. In fact as I recall last time I did a list (for whatever online poll?) I think it might have been my number one?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 July, 2011, 08:32:20 AM
Quote from: HatefulCactus on 27 July, 2011, 12:16:37 AM

Those are some great, great comics. Up there amongst my favouritte of all time. In fact as I recall last time I did a list (for whatever online poll?) I think it might have been my number one?

The Coyote Gospel- one of the single best issues of a comic ever. Totally heartbreaking.

Albion

You guys were right about Treasure Island. A fine read indeed.
I've gone in a completely different direction now and have started reading Mustaine: A Life in Metal, the autobiography of Megadeth founder Dave Mustaine.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.