Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 September, 2011, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 08 September, 2011, 06:50:09 PM
Lately I have rushed through "Dead men walking" and "Atlas Infernal" both jolly WH40k books and have just finished the latest George Mann "Immorality Engine" a steam punk-ish book which was a rip roarer. Just got Vendetta in Gotham Batman versus a certain Judge  which had great Cam Kennedy artwork. Thought Grant and Wagner  had d gone mad about half way through it but it all got right in the end.

Classy Heavy Metal arrived to day as well, some amazing art in it but haven't yet read the stories as yet.
I haven't actualy read ANY of the Batman and Dredd crossovers.
I have heard many good things about them, but I will wait and see if another files book will be released.

That might be wise as Die Laughing seems very expensive indeed. Vendetta is basically a prequel to Die Laughing though I bought it for Cam's art alone. Ultimately the story in this was a bit "thin." I liked the first one, disliked the Riddler one but loved the art and the maniac captives of the not-so mysterious Xero.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Van Dom

Just finished Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas, my first Koontz novel since "By the Light of the Moon" in 2003. I used to be a huge Koontz fan, picked up all his books as soon as they came out, but "By the Light of the Moon", and a few others before it, disappointed me so I decided to take a break from him for a while. 8 years to be precise. I saw a "2 for 1" offer in Easons last week and noticed two Koontz books that seemed to be about the same character (Odd Thomas) so I decided to have a go at them. The first one was brilliant, classic Koontz, a thoroughly engrossing and satisfying read. The man is back on form. Interestingly, now that I have done a wikipedia search to see how many books I have to catch up on, I noticed that this book was his very next release AFTER the offending "By the Light of the Moon"!!!! I have forsaken the man all these years for nought! Am now starting on the second book in this Odd Thomas series, Forever Odd, and this one seems good as well.

Noticed he has a 4 part series called "Dean Koontz' Frankenstein" out as well now--anyone know what this is like? Is it a modern re-telling of the story, or the actual Frankenstein story ? Any good?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

CommanderJobson

I just finished reading Justice by Alex Ross & Jim Krueger. I picked up the single volume hardcover edition. Gorgeously detailed interior art & a masterfully written story makes this a must read for any DC Comics fan.

I also read the first two volumes of Supreme Power by J. Michael Straczynski earlier this week. I hadn't read anything pertaining to Squadron Supreme before this, but his three volume set of Supreme Power warrants multiple readings.

I have about 30 pages left on volume 1 of the Savage Sword of Conan (I'll end up finishing it sometime tonight), and I have a ton of books to read after I finish it. The Whisperer in the Darkness by H.P. Lovecraft; The Voice of the Fire, Lost Girls, & From Hell by Alan Moore; Iron Man: Deadly Solutions & Iron Man: War of the Iron Men; and both volumes of Showcase Presents: The House of Secrets.

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Van Dom on 09 September, 2011, 05:15:03 PM
Just finished Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas, my first Koontz novel since "By the Light of the Moon" in 2003. I used to be a huge Koontz fan, picked up all his books as soon as they came out, but "By the Light of the Moon", and a few others before it, disappointed me so I decided to take a break from him for a while. 8 years to be precise. I saw a "2 for 1" offer in Easons last week and noticed two Koontz books that seemed to be about the same character (Odd Thomas) so I decided to have a go at them. The first one was brilliant, classic Koontz, a thoroughly engrossing and satisfying read. The man is back on form. Interestingly, now that I have done a wikipedia search to see how many books I have to catch up on, I noticed that this book was his very next release AFTER the offending "By the Light of the Moon"!!!! I have forsaken the man all these years for nought! Am now starting on the second book in this Odd Thomas series, Forever Odd, and this one seems good as well.

Noticed he has a 4 part series called "Dean Koontz' Frankenstein" out as well now--anyone know what this is like? Is it a modern re-telling of the story, or the actual Frankenstein story ? Any good?

Van Dom, The Frankenstein series is a bit of both - there are nods to how Koontz's "real" version of the story ties into the actual "fictional" Shelley version, which is quite cleverly done. It's a great little series, his usual cross-genre style he usually uses with elements of crime, horror and sci-fi - I'd recommend them highly.

It's actually a five part series, though - the newest is "The Dead Town," and it's a great end to the series. If you're going to get into Koontz again, they're a good way to go!

Kirbs

Just finished reading Grandville by Bryan Talbot. Absolutely loved it, I'll be ordering the second one ASAP.

MikeONeill

Just ordered Judge Dredd: Mandroid on the recommendations from the 'First Dredd' thread. I also stopped off in Waterstones on the way back from work and was thumbing through a copy of Tour of Duty: Backlash. I really enjoyed what I read of that and I seemed to get all the continuity references. I'll likely be picking that up next.

As an aside, where does Tour of Duty sit in relation to Backlash? Is it a sequel or a prequel?

Emp

Michael Moorecocks "Von Beck" series. To be honest i always thought there was only "The Warhound and the worlds Pain" until i couldn't find my copy and went an an ebay hunt only to find that its a trilogy.

So far halfway through the first book (the warhound and the worlds pain)...its typical Moorecock stuff, though this time a god/satan affair more than law/chaos....still lots of thinking involved, clever wordplay and damn enjoyable.

just pushing on til i get to the 1st book which i have read numerous times...

Dandontdare

Quote from: MikeONeill on 09 September, 2011, 10:13:48 PM
As an aside, where does Tour of Duty sit in relation to Backlash? Is it a sequel or a prequel?

I always thought "backlash" was an odd title for the first half of a story - it makes it sound like a sequel or at least part two. "Mega City Justice" collects the second half of the 'tour of duty' storyline

MikeONeill

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 September, 2011, 10:42:18 PM
I always thought "backlash" was an odd title for the first half of a story - it makes it sound like a sequel or at least part two. "Mega City Justice" collects the second half of the 'tour of duty' storyline

Yeah, I think that was what was confusing me as well. Cheers for clearing that up.  :)

radiator

I always assumes they would call it 'Mutants in Mega-City One', though maybe thats a bit of a naff title if you don't get the reference?

Mardroid

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 September, 2011, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 30 August, 2011, 10:11:22 PM
...I'm definitely not going to start with snoozefest The Magician's Nephew.  It's chronologically first, but it's written as a prequel whose only real interest comes from finding out How Things Came To Be in the later books you've already read.

Nobody seems to like that one much, but it's been one of my favourites by far since I first read the series aged about seven. I like the strong Edwardian vibe, all creepy attics, gas lights and hansom cabs, and the occult elements feel more magical for being contrasted against this, especially when everything spills back into London.

I really enjoyed the book, all that stuff included, too.

And the Charn stuff. Now THAT was spooky. And it was great to see other worlds than Narnia.

I mentioned earlier that I just started Let the Right One In. I'm no over half way through, and the novel, so far, doesn't disappoint. It's quite a bit more disturbing than the film in places, which isn't a complaint.  And so far the film remains faithful to the book, although there's obviously more material in the book.

Albion

Recently finished Dresden Files book 12 - Changes. I've enjoyed all of these. Fun to read with some great characters.

Also just read BPRD - Hollow Earth. I finally got round to getting this. I have read it before and I'm a big fan of Mignola's BPRD and Hellboy.

I'm now reading World War Z by Max Brooks. Not interesting me at all so far. Just can't get into it and may give up soon and move on to something else.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

SmallBlueThing

Re: Let The Right One In- yes, i loved the novel. So much so that watching the movie afterwards was a huge disappointment and i actively disliked it.

Re: World War Z- my favourite book, bar none, until I read Rendezvous With Rama. For years my favourite novel was something i read when i was fifteen, and didnt expect to get a new one- let alone two- this late in life. I cannot praise it highly enough, so am sad you're not enjoying it Albion.

Im reading Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein at the moment, after being very impressed with To Sail Beyond The Sunset. Sadly, im finding this a real chore and after a hundred pages am considering stopping. There's nothing 'bad' about it, but it's just doing nothing whatsoever for me im afraid.

SBT

Albion

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 September, 2011, 06:13:31 PM
Re: World War Z- my favourite book, bar none, until I read Rendezvous With Rama.

Im reading Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein at the moment, Sadly, im finding this a real chore and after a hundred pages am considering stopping.

Wow, opposites eh?

Your feelings about Stranger In A Strange Land are the same as mine about World War Z but when I read Stranger In A Strange Land last year I loved it.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Hawkmumbler

Nineteen eighty-four by George Orwell
Went into this expecting to compare it to Animal farm. How clever is this book?! I'm loving it so far.