Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I love a bit of Spidey and have been lapping up the Essentials in all forms as they've been released. The thing is I've not enjoyed anything I've read since about issue 300 (well I do have a soft spot for the MacFarlane drawn issues) but I have heard good things about the stuff the more recent stuff... just seems so much of it... Any particular highlights?

SmallBlueThing

Certainly not 'spider island', which despite marking dan slott's ascention to sole regular writer after a few years of the 'brainstrust' approach, i found to be forced and dripping with all the associated crap that these kind of marvel 'events' tend to have. Probably very exciting if youre fourteen, but it doesnt play to any of the strengths that we elder readers look for, i think. Except in regards to the ongoing mary jane saga, which slott amps up a bit to tease we oldies.

I'd recommend the 'gauntlet' arc, which is told across five trades (or six, as it concludes in 'the grim hunt', which has just concluded in panini's uk editions and so would be available cheaply off ebay, i'd think.
'Gauntlet' includes one of the best modern spidey tales ive read- 'shed', in the 'lizard' volume- which i found quite affecting in a similar was as classics like 'the night gwen stacy died' and 'the death of jean dewolfe'. Roger stern also writes a thumping sequel to his classic 'nothing can stop the juggernaut', in (cont...)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) 'something can stop the juggernaut?!', and there's a whole new, and deadly, vulture who owes quite a lot to the version from the 'noir' videogameverse. The supporting cast is treated with respect and given loads to do, new characters feel 'right' (pete's new girlfriend and his roommate especially) and there's tons going on in the subplots, as it should be. Yeah, 'gauntlet' is where i'd start. Pick up volumes 4 & 5 (juggernaut and lizard), then read the rest if they appeal.

SBT

SmallBlueThing

There's also a pleasing lack of humberto ramos on art duties during the whole of the 'gauntlet' saga. If there's one artist who shouldnt be let anywhere near spidey, it's him. Instead, you get a whole bunch of brilliant different styles- including our own barry kitson. And even typing his name takes me back!

SBT

Zarjazzer

Mega City Undercover. I can hardly praise this enough. I knew next to to nowt about Lenny Zero and the origins of Dirty Frank-it's a real gem of a comic with cracking script and b& w art. Lovely. Low life has never looked better. Still plenty to get through as well.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dr Feeley Good

Paul scholes autobiography...... Well you did ask !!!

Davek

Quote from: Davek on 27 January, 2012, 10:51:03 AM
Reading Slaine Time Killer (picked up the two 'Best of' issues).  First time I have read it.  Have previously read Tomb of Terror and thought that was OK although not so keen on the Cythrons.  Probably not enjoying this as much as Tomb of Terror so far - its all a bit too detached from the Slaine landscape that I like.  Have enjoyed the Battle of Clontarf bit though (prefer it to the Clotarf special from 85 annual).

Finished reading Time Killer.  Definitely not my favourite Slaine story but there were some good parts e.g. Battle of Clontart and Slaine's gladiator turn.  Quite liked the sections where the influence of the Cythrons on Earth was explained.

Started reading Cattle Raid of Cooley tonight.  Got through Chapter 1 online and enjoyed it a lot.  The art is interesting and love the setting (although find it a little difficult to follow the names sometimes).  Debating whether to buy printed copies instead of reading on with the web comic ...

Gonk

It's got down to a matter of space with me. I don't want to throw stuff out but don't want my home overrun with books. Bearing this in mind I'm rereading Frankenstein.
coming at a cinema near you soon

AntonyCatton

I've been reading through my huge pile of 2000ad graphic novels this weekend.
Only been reading 2000AD for just over a month now but am already amassing a extensive collection of novels.this weekend I finished:
Stone island,leviathan,Ampney Crucis Investigats and stickleback by Ian Edgington.
Asylum by Rob Williams.
Carver Hale by Mike Carey
Progs 1766 &1767
Next up is DR and Quinch.

Chris Fain

Just finished reading Criminal: The Last of the Innocent, and all I can say is wow. I'm a huge fan of Ed Brubaker, but, this time around, I'm even more impressed than usual. Only a master writer could turn Archie and his friends into a bunch of selfish irresponsible douchebags, and not make me run in the other direction. Luckily, Brubaker is that writer, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Sean Phillips art, on the other hand, is beautiful. It captures the spirit of those old Archie comics, and then subverts the charm. Under Sean Phillips' hand , Archie's world seems more real than our own.

Ghastly McNasty

Just read Judgement on Gotham. Very cool. Loved the Judge Death at the rock concert bit.

Roger Godpleton

I've just finished the last few comics from the year 2011 that I wanted to read.

Criminal: The Last of the Innocent. Worked as a tone piece due to the competency of the protagonist, but competency is not detrimental in Brubakerian milieus. Not being well versed in this colour of Americana I felt not as dazzled as intended but I was always allured.

Empire State. Hugely compelling visually, proving the "detail"-hounds wrong as ever. I appreciated this book's portrayal of nerddom being somewhere where some should not wish to dwell. Devastating kiss-off.

Mid-Life. The type of bruising kitchen-sink drama that makes you why you are wasting time with genre pap. Felt like a more focused 90s Dorkin comic, not least in the art style. IT'S FUNNY GUYS, DON'T WORRY.

The Cardboard Valise. One of the very best books of last year. Belongs as the very standard for trawls through cultural detritus, with the most audacious turns of phrase in every single panel. I might protest that it felt like a series of illustrations for the language but it synchronizes enough.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Gonk

Had a quiet afternoon to myself so I read "Gone With The Wind". I'd been meaning to read it for years, and so while I was without any power for a couple of hours yesterday I read it through :

"Feisty independent female tames powerful man,
feisty independent female loses powerful man."

I do enjoy a story with a twist to it.

Gonk

HdE

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 30 January, 2012, 09:59:35 PM

Criminal: The Last of the Innocent. Worked as a tone piece due to the competency of the protagonist, but competency is not detrimental in Brubakerian milieus. Not being well versed in this colour of Americana I felt not as dazzled as intended but I was always allured.

I read that just a couple of days ago. BLOODY BRILLIANT! I love the Criminal books. Have to say, it did NOT turn out the way I expected it to.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/