Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davek

Read Slaine Queen of Witches from progs 889-896 (I think) last night.  Quite enjoyed it actually, and overall preferred Demon Killer to Time Killer.  Arrived home to a box of progs consisting of the majority of uncollected Slaine work so will be working my way though those in the weeks ahead.

Started reading The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt as well.  Was shortlisted for last year's Booker - a western black comedy.  Its OK so far, not overly keen on the first person writing style though. 

Davek

Read over the weekend:

- Fatale # 2 - carries on from the strong 1st issue and ends with another cliffhanger.  Picked up Issue 1 late so gutted I have to wait a whole month to pick up # 3!

- Slaine King of Hearts, Grail War, Secret of Grail (not quite as bad as the other 2).  Catching up with Slaine and have to admit that these are probably the most disappointing Slaine stories I have ever read.  Convoluted plots, tiresome dialogue.  I'm not surprised that Slaine was regularly polling as the worst strip in 2000ad at this time....  thankfully Lord of The Beasts pulled it back for me.  Amazing art by Rafael Garres - I wish there could be a Slaine comic like this more often.

Tiplodocus

Found CASE FILES TWELVE under my bed and continued where I left off six months ago...

Really loving the PJ MAybe stuff.  I don't know if I'm valuing it more because now I know that it's a villain that will run and run.

By the way, Did they ever follow up the BRAINSTEM MAN stuff (citizen randomly mutates into a lizard). I have a vague recollection of Anderson dealing with something similar (David Roach art - hot girls, nice clean lines and storytelling, pretty much dreadful design on everything else)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 February, 2012, 12:57:51 PM
Did they ever follow up the BRAINSTEM MAN stuff (citizen randomly mutates into a lizard). I have a vague recollection of Anderson dealing with something similar

You're right, the 'sequel' was an Anderson story.
@jamesfeistdraws

Michael V. Bramley

I just picked up the introductory volume of American Vampire. I'm about three issues in and it's not at all bad!

Greg M.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 February, 2012, 01:06:10 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 February, 2012, 12:57:51 PM
Did they ever follow up the BRAINSTEM MAN stuff (citizen randomly mutates into a lizard). I have a vague recollection of Anderson dealing with something similar

You're right, the 'sequel' was an Anderson story.

Yeah, it's Judge Anderson: Helios (progs 614 to 622.) Featured the memorable sight of Anderson and Corey out clubbing together.

The Doctor Alt 8

I just finnished Robert Rankins "The Mechanical Messiah"  A highly enjoyable piece of humerous steampunk fluff! Although I didn't like the fact that one iof the main Chareters died near the end...  :(

Davek

Just finished reading a couple more slaine stories that I hadnt read before:

The Banishing - can literally remember nothing about it now so couldnt have been very good.
Macha - Was quite good - one of the better 'Lost Years' stories
Kai - not keen, a bit too Harry Potter esque
Secret Commonwealth - the most thought provoking of these more recent stories I read.  At first I hated the art but as the story progressed there were some great scenes.  I felt the dalogue was a bit stilted in place but I'm not sure if it just didnt go well with the art?  Overall I think I disliked the story more than I liked it - almost felt like it was what a Marvel Slaine comic would be.

And also re-read some classic Slaine - I think these episodes are actually my favourite Slaine ever.

Time Monster - a shame Angela Mills didnt do any more art for Slaine.
Beast in the Broch - just love the story for sentimental reasons (it was my first exposure to Slaine and 2000ad as a child)

And also finished reading the Sisters Brother by Patrick Dewitt.  Rattled through this novel in a few days - very understated, a lot happens but it doesnt seem like much is happening if that makes sense.  Some funny moments - feels a bit like a Coen Brothers film.

Tjm86

just finished Kim Stanley Robinson's Environmental Catastrophe Trilogy:  Forty Signs of Rain, Fifty Degrees Below, Sixty Days and Counting.  Not in the same class as the Mars Trilogy but rewards perseverance.  Unfortunately does seem to trail off a bit, leaving the reader to try and see the key point.

Finally getting round to reading Wells' 'The Sleeper Awakens' before having a reread of Pratchett's Strata and Dark Side of the Sun, two novels that I recall never quite pulling off the quality of the punchline on the back cover.  By the time that is worked through the new Ken Macleod should be here ...

I, Cosh

I recently read Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. I suppose it's nice enough if you're a condescending literary critic looking to do an easy piece on how comics aren't just for kids anymore. The wealth of literary reference gives it a veneer of sophistication while the way it's spelled out allows you to feel superior for recognising something in advance. With this and Persepolis (admittedly only the film) I was left with the worrying impression that these comics that aren't for kids are overwhelmingly comprised of tedious autobiographical coming of age tales by undoubtedly talented young ladies with way too much self-regard.

Currently halfway through Craig Thomson's Habibi. All I can really say is: Blam! Kapow! Comics aren't just for kids anymore. Seriously good stuff so far in both text and art. Some of the page layouts and designs are simply beautiful Will need to finish it to give a proper view but I'm already thinking of buying my own copy for the reread. Especially now the library want their's back. Might have a read of Holy Terror after this for contrast.

So, what else is there out there which has actual made-up stories that isn't Love & Rockets or Cerebus?
We never really die.

Evil Pants

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 February, 2012, 11:24:57 PM
I recently read Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. I suppose it's nice enough if you're a condescending literary critic looking to do an easy piece on how comics aren't just for kids anymore. The wealth of literary reference gives it a veneer of sophistication while the way it's spelled out allows you to feel superior for recognising something in advance. With this and Persepolis (admittedly only the film) I was left with the worrying impression that these comics that aren't for kids are overwhelmingly comprised of tedious autobiographical coming of age tales by undoubtedly talented young ladies with way too much self-regard.

Currently halfway through Craig Thomson's Habibi. All I can really say is: Blam! Kapow! Comics aren't just for kids anymore. Seriously good stuff so far in both text and art. Some of the page layouts and designs are simply beautiful Will need to finish it to give a proper view but I'm already thinking of buying my own copy for the reread. Especially now the library want their's back. Might have a read of Holy Terror after this for contrast.

So, what else is there out there which has actual made-up stories that isn't Love & Rockets or Cerebus?

Well, I might not be the one to ask considering that I think that Fun Home is brilliant :D
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Davek

Just started reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  A version has apparently been done for the screen to be on BBC at Christmas.

Have only read the first few chapters.  Does anyone know if the story or it's elements has ever been used in a comic?

TordelBack

Right, I've read and enjoyed Jim Woodring's Frank stories over the years, but never really understood the devotion of its most ardent fans.  However, an inter-library loan has just delivered the massive 2003 hardback collection The Frank Book.  Seeing so much of the material together, at A4 size with luscious repro, is an entirely different prospect.  It's like I've been completely pulled into the world, to the point of ignoring everything going on around me, including the passage of time.  I find myself reading and re-reading pages, flipping back and forth to half-remembered details.  When I'm not reading it I find myself thinking about it.  It's so complete, so intriguing, and such a perfect use of the medium.

Reading The Frank Book is quite simply an incredible experience, deserving of all possible praise.  I think I have to buy a copy of my own.

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

SmallBlueThing

Having been sick as a dog now for ten days, I've been reading nothing at all- I could barely get it together to read the prog last week, let alone a book. However, I'm feeling marginally better, so am about to start a couple of things I've been meaning to get to: 'The Ritual' by Adam Nevill (which I started as I was becoming ill, but have mostly forgotten, so will be restarting) and on the comics front, 'American Vampire' volume one, by Snyder and King.

SBT