Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 23 February, 2012, 08:35:09 PM

Fonky- I believe that the King collection you had was Danse Macabre- which if memory serves is the original home for the mist.

I think you're thinking of Skeleton Crew.

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Daveycandlish

Just bought me the graphic novel of At The Mountains of Madness by INJ Culbard.
Now for a cup of tea and a good read...
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Spikes

Came across a couple of old Warlord annuals ('77 and '78) in a second hand shop yesterday for £1.50 each.
Had both these back in the day, and though ive maybe not seen and re-read these for a good 30 years or so, each story was like a moment of total recall. Good, if incredibly dated and cheesy fun.

Gonk

What stories are there in them Judge Jack?

Kirbs

I'm reading The Dead Man and re-reading Bad Moon Rising .

NorthVox

TordelBack

That review-blurb-thing is very confusing to me.

Gonk

Cassandra Kresnov has more fury than Hell, but Hell doesn't know this yet be...oh forget it!

Spikes

Quote from: fonky on 26 February, 2012, 08:58:34 PM
What stories are there in them Judge Jack?

Oh, the usual UK annual mix of comic regulars - Union Jack Jackson, Lord Peter Flint : Codename Warlord, Killer Kane etc, and one off short stories, ranging from the sublime to the fucking bonkers.
Plenty of superb art (as always) on show by Ian Kennedy.
Must have read and re-read these annuals for them to have been imprinted onto my brain like this.
Was you a Warlord fan back in the day, Fonky?

Gonk

Yes Judge Jack, Victor too. And Battle of course. I'd really need to see a copy of Warlord to jog my memories though.

Spikes

Yep, Victor, Warlord, Battle, Action, and when Sci-Fi replaced WWII, it was onto Star Wars Weekly and of course the Galaxys Greatest.
Think most 40 somethings went down that route. I had seen the Warlord annuals on E-Bay from time to time, and had wondered about buying them. Glad i did really, id forgotten how much i liked the comic. If you can snag yoursen a copy for peanuts Fonky, then why not.

Gonk

Well I've got no end of other stuff to read for a start, getting swamped with books actually. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of Major Eazy in May!!

Jared Katooie

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 February, 2012, 07:40:56 AM
That review-blurb-thing is very confusing to me.

I think it's saying that hell should arrange a meeting with Cassandra Kresnov with a view to buying, or at least leasing, some of her fury - as their own stock of fury is decidedly inferior by comparison.

Gonk

Yeah but Cassandra Kresnov is a woman. So if we already know hell hath no fury than a woman spurned, why bring another woman into the equation?

Hell hath no fury than a woman spurned, or Casandra Kresnov, who's also a woman.

Maybe we should read the book. Could be she's a mutant or robot?