Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Started Embassytown by China Mieville, he hasn't let me down yet.

Quote from: GordyM on 28 March, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
Crossed: Wish You Were Here.

How can you not love a comic that opens with a psychopath having sex with a shark?

Its a dolphin, which makes it worse :(

For zombie/shark action see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F3fin4MjVw
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

HOO-HAA

How can you not love a comic that opens with a psychopath having sex with a shark?

Who's writing this one, Gordy? Wasn't overly fond of the second run, after Ennis left...

Emperor

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 28 March, 2012, 07:01:10 PM

Who's writing this one, Gordy? Wasn't overly fond of the second run, after Ennis left...

Here is the thread on it:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,33168.0.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 March, 2012, 06:37:48 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 27 March, 2012, 05:15:30 PM
Yeah, what JvB said.  I read them in publication order then re-read them in chronological order.  The only issue might be that if SSR is Born or SSR Gets Drafted mightn't grab you as a start point quite the same way TSSR does, but once you're over that hurdle you should be grand.
I'd say you're always better off reading them in publication order. I didn't think ...Born was up to the standard of the earlier books at all and a quick look at the wikipedia entry inidicates that there are now twice as many books as when I first read them.

Well I finished ...gets born and I enjoyed it muchly. If that's not one of the better books in the series it looks like I'm in for a treat.

I've also been reading Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books. Great fun as is usual for Sir Terry. One of things I've enjoyed about Pratchett's latest books is the wee bit at the end where he explains all the wee bits of real folklore he smuggled in. Apparently he's written a book on folklore, which I'm going to add to my 'to read' list.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: pops1983 on 28 March, 2012, 07:54:26 PM
I've also been reading Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books. Great fun as is usual for Sir Terry.

My current favourite Discworld sub-series, a better overview of life-as-she-is-lived I've seldom read in a genre work, and so much the better that it's pitched at kids. A series that handles miscarriage and washing corpses so deftly is a treasure.  I really enjoyed I Shall Wear Midnight, which has some lovely folklorey bits. It also has a worrying, if understandable, air of finality about it.  I'm going to miss Pratchett terribly. 

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 March, 2012, 08:11:38 PM
I'm going to miss Pratchett terribly.

Me too. Looking through the list of his books, the only two novels I have yet to read are Snuff and The Thief of Time. I shall have to ration them out
You may quote me on that.

GordyM

I don't even want to think about a time when Pratchett's gone. A new Discworld is a yearly highlight and more importantly than that he's a great person who'll be a true loss to the world.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Emperor on 28 March, 2012, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 28 March, 2012, 07:01:10 PM

Here is the thread on it:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,33168.0.html

Yes, Lapham. That was his name. Might give this one a go, then, if they've got a new guy in.

Davek

Started reading Haggard's King Solomon's Mines.  Onyl started yesterday but it is pacy and fun so getting through it quickly. One of the main characters from LOEG that I have not read the source story of.

dullnickname

i'm reading Cages at the mo but i'm not really feeling it. It's a bit mmmmmmmmmm full of its self.
Anyone else felt this. I'm gonna move on to Ronin as that looks very exciting, is it?

von Boom

Quote from: Davek on 30 March, 2012, 09:22:02 AM
Started reading Haggard's King Solomon's Mines.  Onyl started yesterday but it is pacy and fun so getting through it quickly. One of the main characters from LOEG that I have not read the source story of.

Haggard is great. If you like KSM you should definitely look into She.

JvB

GordyM

Deadpool Max: big, dumb messy fun. Sometimes that's all you need from a comic.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Colin Zeal

I've started reading Garth Ennis' Punisher stuff. Despite being a huge fan of the character as a kid I've only just got into this but it's very good so far.

Davek

Quote from: Judge von Boom on 30 March, 2012, 12:05:26 PM
Quote from: Davek on 30 March, 2012, 09:22:02 AM

Haggard is great. If you like KSM you should definitely look into She.

JvB

Cheers, will take a look at that  :)

Professor Bear

Aldebaran vols 2 and 3 and Betelgeuse vols 1 and 2 by Leo.  Not quite "one of the greatest science fiction series known to man" as is claimed on the back cover, unless they have a very low bar in Leo's native Brazil and Starcrash is some sort of benchmark for the genre, but it's a decent sci-fi drama about two teenagers as they flee their destroyed village on distant Earth colony world Aldebaran and inevitably fall in love as they grow older, and then go to another planet to get away from their messy break-up - as one does.  There's other stuff in there (the sci-fi element) about a giant creature whose actions are capricious and reduce the story to one of characters being entirely reactive, but largely it's a fantastically-illustrated walkabout on strange worlds with the art carrying it for the most part when the terrible dialogue and incredibly punchable characters make your teeth grit.
As desperately in need of a punch as they are, there is actually some great character work in the books, with the dull Mark resisting the need to grow up both emotionally and (thanks to alien sci-fi gubbery) physically, the best he can manage over the five books I've so far read being his evolution from a dullard in Aldebaran into an idiotic fanny-hound in Betelgeuse.  His companion and sometimes-girlfriend Kim is also similarly emotionally stunted, at one point confronted with the death of a team-mate and reduced to screaming at the heavens how terrible this turn-up has been for her.
The art has an impressive clarity and confidence reminding me of the Steve Dillon who used to do backgrounds, and as mentioned, is the main attraction when the books start to let you down on the production front, the translation being of that overly-literal kind where the publishers have given up on making the books accessible to anyone but nerds willing to forgive stiff and unconvincing speech, but there's also censorship at work where nipples are clumsily covered up with magically-appearing underwear but a woman getting snapped between the jaws of a space-crocodile, a man being impaled, or an animal having its head exploded between the jaws of a predator is perfectly acceptable, which is an editorial stance I find deeply troubling.  Add to this the bad glue job on the books themselves and the poorly-measured collections which adds the first part of Betelgeuse to the second half of Aldebaran, meaning "volume 1" of Betelgeuse begins a full fifth of a way into the story, it all makes up a cack-handed reproduction job of what should be an attractive and accessible adventure comic, but is really just another slightly impenetrable foreign work that feels like a bit of a slog to get through.  A shame, really, because I've enjoyed it despite my misgivings so far.