Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 June, 2012, 10:32:59 PMand you're probably in ireland or scotland like most people here anyway.

I am a Northern Irelander, SBT, but thank you for your kind offer.  I am almost tempted to take you up on it just so I can stuff the return box with Will Smith dvds.  Because I know it is what you secretly want to happen.

Orbital Vol1 - after the unconvincing Chimpanzee Complex, this was a great reminder of the kind of stuff Cinebook can bring to English-reading audiences.  There's some redundant phrasing and stiff exposition here and there, but the translation job is otherwise pretty good even if the characters don't have any individual voices, but the art helps there as every character is visually distinct in constantly new and inventive ways to the point it almost seems a shame to be reading it as a comic as there's so much in the backgrounds of each panel I felt I should be examining each one carefully and taking notes on how to draw ludicrously large-scale space empires rather than reading a story about two people trying to talk some beardy xenophobes out of being dicks.
It's basically everything I'd expect of a sci-fi romp.

Davek

Re-read the last two issues of Prophet today.  Found them slightly confusing first time round but much better this time. 

PreacherCain

Quote from: Professah Byah on 17 June, 2012, 11:27:05 PM
Orbital Vol1 - after the unconvincing Chimpanzee Complex, this was a great reminder of the kind of stuff Cinebook can bring to English-reading audiences.  There's some redundant phrasing and stiff exposition here and there, but the translation job is otherwise pretty good even if the characters don't have any individual voices, but the art helps there as every character is visually distinct in constantly new and inventive ways to the point it almost seems a shame to be reading it as a comic as there's so much in the backgrounds of each panel I felt I should be examining each one carefully and taking notes on how to draw ludicrously large-scale space empires rather than reading a story about two people trying to talk some beardy xenophobes out of being dicks.
It's basically everything I'd expect of a sci-fi romp.

I really liked this series as well. Lovely art, fantastic sci-fi visuals! I think there are four books in total, covering two stories.

Mattofthespurs

Just started reading the Matt Scudder novels by Lawrence Block.

I do like a bit of pulp noir and these are terrific. Just finished the fifth one and have ordered the remaining 12 from a local retailer.

Superb.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Triplanetary by E E Doc Smith.

Looks like Hollywood is going to turn this into a Movie so thought I'd better have a look again. Bit confusing with Atlantis being attacked by missiles but you know it is Space Opera not History. Great Cover work from Chris Foss.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Syne

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 18 June, 2012, 07:40:42 PM
Triplanetary by E E Doc Smith.

Looks like Hollywood is going to turn this into a Movie so thought I'd better have a look again. Bit confusing with Atlantis being attacked by missiles but you know it is Space Opera not History. Great Cover work from Chris Foss.

Gotta admit, I gave up on that one after a few chapters. I think it was the "fight scene" which composed of about two lines of dialogue - "blind the robot!" "okay! I've blinded the robot!" - that blew my (usually high) bad writing tolerances.

radiator

A friend bought me the complete Hyperion series in two giant omnibuses (omnibi?).

I now feel quite a bit of pressure to read it all but it's a bit daunting and frankly so far it's all very dry and rather dull.....

...does it get good any time soon?

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 18 June, 2012, 11:49:18 PM
A friend bought me the complete Hyperion series in two giant omnibuses (omnibi?)
...does it get good any time soon?
How far in are you? I think the first one's great and the second, while inessential, closes off the storylines quite satisfyingly. The Endymion ones would make a good 300 page follow up but really aren't worth the hernia.
We never really die.

radiator

Only 20 pages so far but I'm finding it hard to force myself to keep reading.

Rog69

I read the Hyperion omnibus a couple of years back and they were OK, not the sci-fi classics I was led to believe they were. I have the Endymion omnibus sitting on my shelf unread and I can't really gather the enthusiasm to start it.

I much prefer Illium and Olypos by the same author and The Terror is a very good read too.

radiator

I must say its hardly the most interesting of starts. Some bloke goes to a ship to meet some other blokes who are going on some sort of pilgrimage. Then they sit round a table and one bloke starts talking about his experience of the planet they are headed for - via the diary entries of some OTHER bloke.

I'm a sci fi fan, but I tend to like stuff with a bit of punch, a bit of edge. This isn't really doing anything for me, nothing remotely interesting has happened so far. I kind of feel duty bound to read it out of politeness though. Really wish my friend had just bought me the first novel!

Darren Stephens

Just finished reading Batman : Black Mirror, which I was lucky enough to get for Fathers Day. Utterly fantastic book. Brilliantly written. Amazing visuals. Not just one of the best Batman storys I've ever read, but one of the best comics full stop. :)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 20 June, 2012, 05:39:47 PM
Just finished reading Batman : Black Mirror, which I was lucky enough to get for Fathers Day. Utterly fantastic book. Brilliantly written. Amazing visuals. Not just one of the best Batman storys I've ever read, but one of the best comics full stop. :)

I agree it is a wonderful story. More so i think as Dick G really made a great Batman, in so far as he really offered something different while keeping it routed. Genuinely creepy, scary villains as well which is all too rare.

On top of some stunning Jock work Francesco Francavilla adds a perfect accompaniment. Scott Snyder (where does that 'y' go?) really knows how to play to an artists strengths.

Emperor

I'm currently reading Aleister Crowley and the Aeon of Horus: History. Magick. Psychedelia. Ufology. Early days yet but I'm already finding useful material, it is starting to fill up with scraps of paper marking occult trivia to mine in the future.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 June, 2012, 07:42:14 PM
On top of some stunning Jock work Francesco Francavilla adds a perfect accompaniment. Scott Snyder (where does that 'y' go?) really knows how to play to an artists strengths.

Oh yes. Francavillas work is stunning here, as is Jocks, of course.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^