Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Death got no mercy by one Al Ewing.

Look, it's got the words "DEATH" & "AL" & "NO MERCY" & "EWING" on the the cover. Plus a picher of a man punching out a Goddamn bear. So what else do you lily-livered Fotherington-Thomases need to know?

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 June, 2012, 07:27:33 PM
Stone Spring, by Stephen Baxter.  After the agonising but ultimately uplifiting Ark, it looks like Baxter is back on a roll:  this is great fun. 

Oh goody. Stevie stockpiles his set your watch by his publishing schedule Baxters until the whole sequence is published then reads 'em in one go. Glad to hear.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 July, 2012, 05:32:06 PM

Saw a stage production of Guards, Guards years ago in Blackpool with Paul Darrow in the role of Vimes. 

Pratchett has an amazing way with words and I'd love to see how it transfers to a stage. Never managed it yet unfortunately. His Nation was at the National and I missed it. Had no idea it was on until it was done and dusted.

Quote from: Aonghus on 16 July, 2012, 12:24:25 AM
Quote from: DeFuzzed on 13 July, 2012, 09:23:34 PM
Much as I liked Postlethwaite, I would have rather they went younger

Actually, Pratchett has said that his ideal Vimes was always a young Pete Postlethwaite, if this were a just universe. Nice to know you're working on the same wavelength as the great man, eh? :D

:) - It is nice actually. And in that case, if the project is still greenlit and they listen to his wants, I'm more hopeful about what we'll get.

SMUDGE10

Currently reading 'Ancient Rome' by Simon Baker.
On Audio I have the second of the 'Dark Tower' series by King and the 'Third Chimpanzee' by Jared Diamond.
Dipping into Marvel Essentials Kirby FF too....

:)

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

TordelBack

My pull-list in the local library yielded a rich harvest today - Reamde by Neal Stephenson and the long, long-awaited Children of the Sky by the almighty Vernor Vinge were both waiting for me.  But which to read first!  The agony of indecision!

I made this discovery while returning One Soul by Roy Fawkes, a very clever idea for exploring our common humanity by following 18 characters from birth to death through one panel each per double spreads of 9-panel grids, which was even more dull in execution than it sounds, and post-WWI utopian nuthouse Black Paths by David B. which confirmed suspicions formed from reading his earlier Epileptic that he's a very talented writer/artist whose work I enjoy not one single whit.  Ah well, they can't all be Jim Woodring or Jason.

Mardroid

I went to the library today and I was happy to find the following:

A Dance with Dragons: Volume 1 by George R Martin. - I've wanted to get this (well the full version really, but this was what was available) for a while. Considering how large this is, I'm amazed there is a full volume edition out there.)

A Kingdom Beseiged by Raymond Feist. - I'm not over keen on Feist's writing style, but the stories are quite good and multi-world premise of these books are interesting.

I've also pulled the following comic collections:
Sweet Tooth: In Captivity by Jeff Lemire
The Losers (books 1 and 2) by Andy Diggle and Jock

I'll probably make a start on Sweet Tooth first. When I have a mixture of prose and comics, I usually read the comics first as they're a lighter read but I'm rather keen on jumping into A Dance... so I might have a couple books going at the same time.

The Bissler

Finished reading the full collection of Y The Last Man graphic novels.  Funny, sad, clever, great characters and always intriguing, I'd highly recommend it!

Mikey

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 July, 2012, 09:26:15 PM
My pull-list in the local library yielded a rich harvest today - Reamde by Neal Stephenson...

I finished Reamde on Monday night. My short, spoiler free review (that can be stitched together with my previous comments, for those bored souls out there) is that I thought is was really good. Some reviews were a bit lukewarm and some criticisms I thought were valid, but I found it written in his usual easy to read, pulling you along way with an end sequence both tense and satisfying. Though I was quite glad to finish it as it's over 1000 pages! It's more akin to Cryptonomicon than Anathem but I imagine you've gathered that already.

Last night though, I finally read 100 Months. I've had it for a while and kept putting off reading it as I wanted to have the time to really devote to it, plus I was a bit nervous about reading Johnny's last work and didn't know how it might feel.

It felt magnificent! Jaw dropping and grotesque, it'll take a lot more absorbtion to really appreciate what's on those pages. I found it absolutely uplifting too and it immediately started playing this in my head. I can't really describe it to be honest, but I can say that it's truly like nothing else. Just like all his art really.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Zarjazzer

Apartment 16 a horror novel. Good so far and different to my usual warhammer fare quite scary as well. No avoiding the cliches scary visions in mirrors etc, but i'm hooked.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mardroid

To take the liberty of quoting myself:

Quote from: Mardroid on 17 July, 2012, 11:42:02 PM
I went to the library today and I was happy to find the following:
Sweet Tooth: In Captivity by Jeff Lemire

I read this last night. A great read. I'll probably try to hunt down the first issues/volume at some point and the latter issues too. Of course I know how the first volume ends now, but I'm sure there'll be other stuff in the journey.

Just started A Dance with Dragons. Good stuff so far.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mikey on 18 July, 2012, 04:29:29 PM
It felt magnificent! Jaw dropping and grotesque, it'll take a lot more absorbtion to really appreciate what's on those pages. I found it absolutely uplifting too and it immediately started playing this in my head. I can't really describe it to be honest, but I can say that it's truly like nothing else. Just like all his art really.

That's a great recommendation Mikey, I'll have to take the plunge.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 July, 2012, 06:57:37 PM
Quote from: Mikey on 18 July, 2012, 04:29:29 PM

That's a great recommendation Mikey, I'll have to take the plunge.

An astonishing book.
Here's my review from last year: http://hiexcomics.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/john-hicklentons-100-months-review.html
</plug>

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 July, 2012, 07:01:52 PM
An astonishing book.
Here's my review from last year: http://hiexcomics.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/john-hicklentons-100-months-review.html
</plug>

Ach, sure I read your review at the time, but you're a known promoter of any old tosh.  Mikey's got an -ology.

hoops

I got 100 months when it came out and i find myself going back to it time and time again...an incredible book and for Hicklenton fans i think it's a must have.

hoops

P.S. reading the first two collections of Scott Snyder's American Vampire...great stuff!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 July, 2012, 07:33:32 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 July, 2012, 07:01:52 PM
An astonishing book.
</plug>

Ach, sure I read your review at the time, but you're a known promoter of any old tosh.  Mikey's got an -ology.

He's got an ology??? well... I can't really remember any more of the 30 year old TV advert..!