Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 July, 2012, 10:23:13 AM
(cont) pick up the book more often. As it stands, im definitely going to get the whole of the moench/jones run, however long it lasted.

SBT

Its a run I've always toyed with getting, but surely I don't need any more Batman comics... but they look so good... anyhoo great article about the run here.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/04/20/comics-you-should-own-flashback-batman-515-552/

shaolin_monkey

I'm re-reading 'Journey to the West' (which is more commonly called 'Monkey'), this time a more thorough translation, with nothing omitted.

The introduction has a wonderful comment about Sun Wukong's popularity:

'The humorous and knowing twinkle in Monkey's eyes is able to penetrate to the core of a tradition which has congealed over thousands of years. His power of insight comes from his straightforward and natural boyish heart, and his grasp of the reasons for things. The main theme is mockery and scorn directed at authorities and order of society, revealing man's naturally pure and childlike heart. And because this story conveys boyish delight, transcending political, religious, national and territorial boundaries, it brings joy to the whole world.'

Yeah, that's why I've got Monkey on my back, and why I urge everyone to get a copy of this book, and absorb it's many delights.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-West-Chengen-Wu/dp/7119016636

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 July, 2012, 11:54:35 PM
I'm re-reading 'Journey to the West' (which is more commonly called 'Monkey'), this time a more thorough translation, with nothing omitted.

I'd never imagined Monkey to be anything other than the TV series when I bought a tattered edition of this book in a secondhand shop, many years ago.  Reading it I had the strangest sensation of unreality as I saw Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and Tripitaka snap into place with the characters... it was as if I'd just discovered that Scooby Doo was closely based on an ancient Assyrian frieze.

Colin YNWA

I found it a fascinating read, though I have to say as it progressed the stories became a bit repetitive.

Syne

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-West-Chengen-Wu/dp/7119016636

Haven't read the book, but I'm fascinated by the impact it's had across Asia. Years go I went to the Vegetarian Festival in Trang, Thailand, which involved designated locals dressing in the costumes, going into trances, and invoking the spirits of Sun Wukong and co. I don't know how genuine the trances were, but there was something unearthly about seeing the Monkey King running around at the head of a parade, twirling his staff and chattering at the spectators.

I've also read that prostitutes in Singapore pray to Pigsy as their patron deity. Even if that's just a urban legend, it's shows how deep the characters have sunk into local culture.

Professor Bear

The Trances are real, but over here we call it The Method, darling.

Elk's Run is the tale of an isolated gated community founded by Vietnam veterans whose kids are coming to the conclusion they want out of the place.  It took me a while to cotton on that the narrative eschews the now-tedious structure of setup/splash-page/sound bite that dominates the post-Mark Millar US comics scene in stuff like Saga and Morning Glories (not to say these are bad comics or anything, only that their structure is ubiquitous), and as a result Elk's Run comes off as far more shocking in the long run, the characters rounded off in so minimal a fashion without stereotyping as character shorthand (the town is stuck in a mid-1970s aesthetic, meaning no punks, nerds, goths, etc) that it took me ages to cotton on to the nature of the town.  I genuinely didn't see it coming as some of the clumsy earlier chapters - particularly the ham-fisted Vietnam flashbacks - set me up thinking I was in for some equally-clumsy reveals and soundbites down the line, possibly about time travel or aliens, but even when realisation dawns that the town is [spoiler]basically a cult compound run by a survivalist nutjob[/spoiler], this isn't a twist so much as something I should have seen all along in the characters and the setup.
Elk's Run is a linear and engrossing drama about regular folk caught up in a larger story, and the fact they don't make pithy remarks to display their pop-cultural knowledge in the middle of stressful situations just makes them seem far more real as people even as it probably alienates the vast majority of readers waiting for the big twists that never come.  A damn good read, just don't ruin it for yourself by reading any of the product descriptions or the blurb on the back, which tend to oversimplify the story and make it sound like a horror or something along the lines of The Walking Dead.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 July, 2012, 08:19:21 AM

I'd never imagined Monkey to be anything other than the TV series when I bought a tattered edition of this book in a secondhand shop, many years ago.  Reading it I had the strangest sensation of unreality as I saw Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and Tripitaka snap into place with the characters... it was as if I'd just discovered that Scooby Doo was closely based on an ancient Assyrian frieze.

Brilliant observation, absolutely bang on!  As a child I was a massive fan of the TV series, which in adult life led me to the book.  I had exactly the same sensation! It was as if the TV caricatures were given flesh and made real.  You win my prestigious 'quote of the day' award.  Shitloads of kudos coming your way!   ;)

Mardroid

I finished the first Dances With Dragons book today. A great read. I think the author goes too far in certain places, but overall very enjoyable. I hoped to pick up the second at the library today, yet despite the catalogue stating it was in, I couldn't find it. I wonder if it's just been returned and hasn't migrated to the shelf yet.

On the plus side I found two Joe Hill novels, Horns and 20th Century Ghosts. I haven't read any of Joe Hill's prose yet. I enjoyed his first two Locke and Key books. (I've yet to read the rest.)

On the GN front I just started The Losers (Andy Diggle and Jock.) So far, not bad.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 July, 2012, 08:32:02 PM
I finished the first Dances With Dragons book today. A great read. I think the author goes too far in certain places...

If you're referring to the dry lists of information about food and clothes, then I agree. It's a problem throughout the entire series.
You may quote me on that.

Mardroid

Quote from: pops1983 on 23 July, 2012, 08:52:53 PM
If you're referring to the dry lists of information about food and clothes, then I agree. It's a problem throughout the entire series.

Actually, no, but I know what you mean. I actually quite like the descriptions of feasts but I'll admit the descriptions of clothes and flags, etc, can get a bit boring.

A good example of what I mean is a scene involving [spoiler]the Bastard Bolton and his child bride.[/spoiler] The bit where [spoiler]Theon Greyjoy is commanded to 'prepare her'[/spoiler].  He's a scum bag, and I get that he is to be established as a hateful character [spoiler](and maybe Theon will get some revenge. It can't be a coincidence that last POV chapter he is referred to by name, rather than 'Reek' suggesting he is getting over his abusive indoctrination and reclaiming his true identity.)[/spoiler] But, that's already been established at this stage. They didn't need to go there.

[spoiler]I've no doubt he would abuse her but some stuff can be left off-stage as it were.[/spoiler]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I read that scene as the point [spoiler] Theon is pushed too far. After that, after the abuse got to be too much, glimmers of a possible redemption start to show.[/spoiler] It did go too far, but I think that was the point. [spoiler]Showing the absolute depths Bolton's Bastard's depravity, not to the reader, but to Theon so that the reader is informed of how Theon deals with it.
I would agree that this one example is a bit repellent, but the overall unpleasantness of the various nutters with authority involved in the series is never ever glorified.[/spoiler]
You may quote me on that.

Mardroid

Quote from: pops1983 on 23 July, 2012, 09:57:15 PM
[spoiler]the overall unpleasantness of the various nutters with authority involved in the series is never ever glorified.[/spoiler]

That's a very good point. I'm certainly looking forward to the next half of the novel.

hoops

Batman - Heart Of Hush (Detective Comics #846-#850)...Hush origin and excellent story as a whole.

ming

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 July, 2012, 06:52:50 PM
Quote from: Syne on 22 July, 2012, 07:24:41 AM
"Saturday Night Fever" part 1, the Dredd story in prog 417, was one of the first Dredds I ever read. The final frame - where the Rodentine Sewer Gas starts to corrode the faces of the rioters - introduced me to the kind of ghastly thrills 2000ad could provide.

That exact scene burned into my young mind too Syne. Genius on a level that is indescribable.
Very sorry to hear about Cam Kennedy's eyesight.

For those who haven't seen it, Cam has a sketchbook available...

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26974.0.html

I'm reading Doctor Who - The Iron Legion*, although I should be finishing Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road.

* I haven't read these strips since they were in Doctor Who Weekly; any similarity to The Day The Law Died went right over my head at  the time.  Still, it has Space Vespas, which are great.

SmallBlueThing

The iron legion must surely be one of the most-reprinted british adventure strips in history, what with summer specials, classic comics magazines, marvel premier, idw, panini and the like. That it's so bloody good is a bonus. Along with the dogs of doom, city of the damned/cursed and the star beast, we were spoilt beyond belief back then, and it's rewarding to have them in 'ultimate' editions all these years on. Other than ridgway's run on colin baker stories, the dr who comic strip was never anywhere near as good again, and likely never will be.

SBT