Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 September, 2012, 07:35:43 PM

It really is great! Just finished Book III and it's such a nicely realized world, full of the kind of bizarre invention that no-one really does like 2000AD. The appearance of [spoiler]Mek-Quake [/spoiler]

That is without a shadow of a doubt the Most Exciting Thing That Happened in a Comic. Ever.

Book III is jaw to the floor magnificent from go to woe.

Clearly to avoid the delays with O'Neill's art that held up Book 1 Mills scripted 10 episodes of 4 pages each. The first two pages of which are double page spreads.

Yet he still managed to cram into those 4 pages more storytelling than you'll find most 22 page US monthly comics.

The other books aren't too shabby either  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Karl Stephan

Ranxerox: Ranx in NY and eagerly awaiting Cerebus vol one in the post. I've always avoided the latter, but now, having done my own not quite polished first graphic novel, I think I'm ready for it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 04 September, 2012, 11:05:19 PM
Cerebus vol one in the post. I've always avoided the latter, but now, having done my own not quite polished first graphic novel, I think I'm ready for it.

Is it your first Cerebus? If so be patient with it as its the work of a man and character finding their place and developing. In many ways the second book 'High Society' is a better place to start (bit like The Case Files really)... of course you may well know this in which case ignore me!

Third Estate Ned

That's really handy advice, Colin. I've just ordered the second book, and at 500-odd pages for under a tenner that's insane value.

I've wanted to read more after reading an old Penguin publishing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collection I had at school and Cerebus was in it. I'd forgotten all about him till now. Losing books is the worst thing.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 05 September, 2012, 09:48:57 AM
That's really handy advice, Colin. I've just ordered the second book, and at 500-odd pages for under a tenner that's insane value.

Its insanely good too. High Society really works well as a stand alone story and as part of the larger saga. I could debate 'til I'm blue in the face which is the best book, but you can't go wrong with Book 2 its just wonderful comics.

radiator

I'm starting a timely Dredd marathon, starting at Case Files 05 I'm going to cover all of the classic era - probably finishing with Necropolis. Haven't read this stuff in years!

Karl Stephan

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 September, 2012, 06:24:27 AM
Cerebus vol one in the post. I've always avoided the latter, but now, having done my own not quite polished first graphic novel, I think I'm ready for it.

Is it your first Cerebus? If so be patient with it as its the work of a man and character finding their place and developing. In many ways the second book 'High Society' is a better place to start (bit like The Case Files really)... of course you may well know this in which case ignore me!

Nah, I've read High Society; Church & State vol 1 & 2; Minds and Guys and have loved everything. Problem is I'm just such a sucker for those awesome gothic backdrops that I've always bought forward from that point on rather than going back. I've been reading a lot of early indie comics lately and feel I'm in the right mindset for it.

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 05 September, 2012, 07:28:52 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 September, 2012, 06:24:27 AM

Nah, I've read High Society; Church & State vol 1 & 2; Minds and Guys and have loved everything. Problem is I'm just such a sucker for those awesome gothic backdrops that I've always bought forward from that point on rather than going back. I've been reading a lot of early indie comics lately and feel I'm in the right mindset for it.

I read in a review about there being an improvement in the strip following the involvement of Gerhard. Is he responsible for the gothic backdrops you mention?

Also, I remember reading on this board something about the writer's worldview detrimentally affecting the stories after a certain point. Is this right?

Karl Stephan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 05 September, 2012, 07:48:31 PM
I read in a review about there being an improvement in the strip following the involvement of Gerhard. Is he responsible for the gothic backdrops you mention?

Yep, that's him. A visual improvement for sure. High Society is, however, amongst the best of the books I've read despite it being prior to his involvement. After the series finished he released his own artbook based just on the backdrops called "World without Cerebus" (I think). I still need to track this down myself, but looks lovely!

Also, I remember reading on this board something about the writer's worldview detrimentally affecting the stories after a certain point. Is this right?

Controversy sells, last I heard.

Karl Stephan

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 September, 2012, 07:35:43 PM

It really is great! Just finished Book III and it's such a nicely realized world, full of the kind of bizarre invention that no-one really does like 2000AD. The appearance of [spoiler]Mek-Quake [/spoiler]

It also contains some of Henry Flint's finest work!

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: Sparkonaut on 05 September, 2012, 09:00:15 PM

Yep, that's him. A visual improvement for sure. High Society is, however, amongst the best of the books I've read despite it being prior to his involvement. After the series finished he released his own artbook based just on the backdrops called "World without Cerebus" (I think). I still need to track this down myself, but looks lovely!

Controversy sells, last I heard.

Try telling Gary Glitter that. But thanks for the info about Cerebus. I sense a wallet draining near future.

Colin YNWA

I wittered about it here and Tordelback as ever expressed things more eloquently than I.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,34683.0.html

For me I struggled with Guys, though I know many like it. Most people say Rick's Story is the big problem. Mind you got soooo much good stuff to get through before you have to worry about any of that!

Third Estate Ned

Bloody hell! I've just glanced at that linked thread and while I thank you for acknowledging my request and taking the trouble to do that, I think I'll wait till tomorrow to digest it all when I've had less fine, fine Hofbrau Schwarze Weisse. That, at least, I can recommend without regrets.

TordelBack

Complete Ro-Busters and ABC Warriors (glorious McMahon cover Titan reprint Vol 2).  The arrival of Ro-Jaws (and poo) in the house prompted a surge of interest in the character from my son, so we've been working through the above with enormous gusto.  We'd tried ABC Warriors with some success last year when Mongrol came to stay, but Ro-Jaws just seems to have caught his imagination in a whole different way, then the whole disaster squad setup and by extension back to Hammerstein and Mek Quake as characters.  His first real 2000AD obsession, what fun!  Best of all, Godders isn't here to mock me for my brain-washing ways (sniff, come back soon Rog, it's just not the same here).

So far we've skimmed ahead to Nemesis Book 3 and the Gothic Empire to see what becomes of our heroes, and now we're deep into the Ro-Busters phonebook, and loving every kid-chomping insane-gator cliff-hanging page of it. 

And now a quick question:  Lacking the current Nemesis Vol 2 and being unwilling to tackle the Attic of Doom I can't remember to what extent the ABC Warriors feature in 'Vengeance of Thoth' - would it be safe enough just to grab the current Black Hole trade and hand-wave the events since the end of Gothic Empire?  Mind you, a giant Satanus in the tubes might actually be worth an attic extraction....

Richmond Clements

Just finished Pt2 of A Storm of Swords.
Wow. And triple Wow!
Amazing twists and turns all the way through... and then that final scene! Awesome stuff. I can't see any other book in the series topping this one!