Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aonghus

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 October, 2012, 08:33:07 AM
Library trip finally yielded ASoFaI: Dance of Dragons, after a wait of over a year now

That reminds me, I've been waiting for Nemesis Vol. 1 from my library for months. Who's hoarding the damn things?!

I'm slogging through Bukowski's Women- I hope it'll pick up soon, because it's mainly the exhortations of a mate that've kept me going through it so far.

TordelBack

Quote from: Aonghus on 11 October, 2012, 11:45:24 PM
That reminds me, I've been waiting for Nemesis Vol. 1 from my library for months. Who's hoarding the damn things?!

There was one on the shelves in Tallaght quite recently.  Mind you, South Dublin Libraries have 14 copies of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in softback alone, and can I get hold of one for my kid?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I had a go at that Dredd: Year One Novel. I never read a novellized version of any comic book character, but I enjoyed this. It passed the afternoon. I liked the plot, 'twas a solid story, but I found it to be a bit expositiony in parts. Mind you, I use words like 'expositony', so what to I know about writing?
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

Aonghus

Read Buttonman: Killer Killer last night. I enjoyed Buttonman: The Confessions of Harry Exton, but found it really gri and couldn't sympathise with Harry at all. But for some reason I was compelled to get Killer Killer out of the library, and it was great!

Bizarrely,  it was less grim in tone than the first volume despite the events taking place. I suppose it's that the plot is less tense in ways than the previous one, but I got more of a laugh out of this one, and actually DO want to get the next volume!

Rog69

The Hydrogen Sonata, the latest Iain M Banks Culture book. Even though I swore I would never pay the ridiculous price for new releases, I caved and pre-ordered it through the kindle store. I'm too much of a fan of the series to wait and having it pop up on my Kindle while sat with my morning coffee on the day of release was pretty cool.

I'm about a third of the way through and its very good indeed, its pretty much classic culture so far. I'm enjoying it more than the last couple in the series (not that there was anything wrong with them), Excession is one of my favourite stories in the Culture universe and this is pretty close in tone to that.

On a separate note, the wife has now finished her marathon back-to-back read of the 50 shades trilogy and bedroom activity is once again returning to normal levels, any suggestions as to what I can stick on her kindle next?

Aonghus

Quote from: Rog69 on 13 October, 2012, 02:08:13 PM

On a separate note, the wife has now finished her marathon back-to-back read of the 50 shades trilogy and bedroom activity is once again returning to normal levels, any suggestions as to what I can stick on her kindle next?

the Story Of O might give her a few ideas...

willthemightyW

Just read Sweet Tooth vol. 1. Brilliant. Read it in one sitting in about 20 minutes which is unusual for me!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Mabs

Quote from: willthemightyW on 13 October, 2012, 08:52:44 PM
Just read Sweet Tooth vol. 1. Brilliant. Read it in one sitting in about 20 minutes which is unusual for me!

Same here! :D

I've got the urge to read it again, and will do so as soon as the kids are in bed. It's such an awesome comic, really need to seek out volumes 2, 3 and 4.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

willthemightyW

Definitely! That and Chew are two indie books where, I've read the first one, loved it, and need to get the others!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Emp

Belgariad ..again. Only cus the wife has hidden all my good new buys for the holiday we are going on shortly. Don't know if i should praise or curse her :D

Link Prime

David Lapham's Silverfish.
Suspensful. Amazing. Intense. Completely distinct from any other graphic novel I've ever read.

Goin for about a fiver in Chapters on Parnell St for any boarders living in Baile Atha Cliath.

Mardroid

As mentioned in a previous post (which is already three pages back, boy does this thread move on) I recently got Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury from the library.

I recently finished it. An very interesting intriguing read. I saw the film a while back and it's nice to see the film seems pretty faithful to the book [spoiler]apart from what happened to the girl[/spoiler]. I found Bradbury's use of language unusual.  A little hard to get used too, but ultimately rather clever. (While I know the name well, I think this is the only bit of his work that I've actually read.)

I wasn't so keen on the ending though Not what happened to the main character so much as (MAJOR ENDING SPOILER ALERT - don't highlight if you haven't read unless you don't care), [spoiler]the sudden culmination of the war. I understand that the point is that they're going to re-educate the world, bit by bit, but the sudden destruction of the major cities, and just after the main character's escape too, does seem rather convenient in promoting that aim.[/spoiler]

judgefloyd

Psalms, Matthew, Book of Amos, all very slowly.  No, I'm not from Northern Ireland.
I'm reading 'Doctor Who: The Final Sanction', by Steve Lyons. It's that rarest of things, a Doctor Who novel that  doesn't suck. 

Emp

Quote from: judgefloyd on 14 October, 2012, 12:21:53 AM
Psalms, Matthew, Book of Amos, all very slowly.  No, I'm not from Northern Ireland.

you saying we slow readers? :D