Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I think he is saying we have a bit of religion going going about, though I'm pretty sure Aussies read the bible, too.  Mel Gibson does.

Rosalie Lightning, cartoonist Tom Hart's attempt to make sense of the loss of his infant daughter to SIDS. http://issuu.com/tomhart/docs/rl-book1/1
I'm not sure if this is the entirety of it or if it's part of a greater whole, but either way it's affecting and heartbreaking stuff told with a brevity that really underlines rational people looking for sense or meaning in tragedy.  "Portents that are not portents" and "did she know she was leaving?" still get me.

judgefloyd

I was just trying to be funny with ref to comments on other threads about people from somewhere called Norn Iron.  Australians do indeed read the Bible (dunno about Mel Gibson). I This site aside, the only Norn Irish person I've ever known was a pastor from Belfast, who spoke good Japanese with a strong Irish accent.  Oh and I've heard Garth Ennis is from there, which makes the place officially awesome.

Mabs

Quote from: judgefloyd on 14 October, 2012, 06:53:26 AM
I was just trying to be funny with ref to comments on other threads about people from somewhere called Norn Iron.  Australians do indeed read the Bible (dunno about Mel Gibson). I This site aside, the only Norn Irish person I've ever known was a pastor from Belfast, who spoke good Japanese with a strong Irish accent.  Oh and I've heard Garth Ennis is from there, which makes the place officially awesome.

But what ever you do, don't ask Garth Ennis about the Bible! :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Just read Bigfoot #1 over at ComicXology, I thought it was superb. The artwork by Richard Corben is brilliant. Ever since I saw his artwork for The Crooked Man (Hellboy Vol 10); I fell in love with his really spooky and atmospheric style. (I urge comic lover's to read Crooked Man; it's one of the most scariest and creepiest comic i've read!). I tried looking over at Amazon if they. Had Bigfoot TPB, but they were going for £50 to £60 a pop! That is way out of my budget. I think it's out of print hence the insane valuation.  :-\

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ming

I just read Dan Simmons' Hyperion Omnibus (picked up for two quid and forgotten about until a miraculous week away, without kids and with just enough rain to devote some time to reading).  A lot to get through in a week but it didn't feel like it overstayed it's welcome, so now suppose I'll have to pick up the Endymion books as well - anyone read those?

In the meantime, I'll probably turn to Snuff (Pratchett, not home-movie making) and / or Zone One.

Mardroid

Speaking of Pratchett, I've just started The Lost Continent.

Mabs

My order for Y The Last Man Deluxe Book 3, just arrived this morning - more than a week overdue! What a relief!  :D

Normally, I receive my orders within 2-3 working days, so naturally I was concerned that those tits at The Royal Mail had lost it. I have to say that the team over at The Book Depository are absolutely brilliant. They offered a refund or a replacement almost straight away - normally in other online book outlets you'd have to wait near a month!

So looking forward to reading it later on! : )

My Twitter @nexuswookie

SmallBlueThing

Various BEST OF 2000AD SPECIAL EDITIONS with the boys- although we are disappointed they repeat he same rogue trooper story across a couple and drop from 132 pages to eightysomething, it's been an absolute pleasure. Somewhat bizarre to have a conversation over dinner about 'the secretary life of the blitzspear', 'the visible man', 'top dogs', 'the alien zoo', 'max normal' and 'robusters'. But fab to reread at full size with such lovely print quality. I got them out to check them over and have been passing them around. Think they're in my youngest's bedroom at the moment. Happy days!

SBT

Spicy Biscuit

Quote from: Mabs on 15 October, 2012, 01:07:40 PM

My order for Y The Last Man Deluxe Book 3, just arrived this morning - more than a week overdue! What a relief!  :D

I finished that series only a few months ago. Was a brilliant ride through and through. The art-style originally turned me off but I learned to appreciate the panel work. Makes me believe this book can easily work as an HBO television series.

Currently reading Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. Any time the terms crime and space sci-fi cross I latch onto it. Had a few hiccups in the beginning but it's slowly coming around for me.

As for comics I'm currently reading China Miéville's Dial H (have the first issue signed, sorted) which I highly recommend anyone to pick up if you enjoy the more bizarre aspects of cape comics and James Stokoe's Godzilla: The Half-Century War. You cannot go wrong with Stokoe, one of my favourite artists.

chaingunchimp

Picked up issue one of the Evil Ernie: Origin of Evil reboot from  Dynamite last week.
Great start, not too sure on the character redesign but hopefully he'll rot down to a more familiar look eventually.
Well pleased someone finally brought him back tho, gotta be my favourite comic character of all time (to the point where I have tattoos)
Going to be interesting to see how the Chaos characters work without the central hub of Lady Death.
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

judda fett

Quote from: Mabs on 14 October, 2012, 06:58:20 PM
Just read Bigfoot #1 over at ComicXology, I thought it was superb. The artwork by Richard Corben is brilliant. Ever since I saw his artwork for The Crooked Man (Hellboy Vol 10); I fell in love with his really spooky and atmospheric style. (I urge comic lover's to read Crooked Man; it's one of the most scariest and creepiest comic i've read!). I tried looking over at Amazon if they. Had Bigfoot TPB, but they were going for £50 to £60 a pop! That is way out of my budget. I think it's out of print hence the insane valuation.  :-\

Bigfoot is superb- track down the collected trade, its lovely and would make a great horror movie (its co-written by Steve Niles and Rob Zombie).
If you like Corben and horror Id suggest you track down the recent 'Creepy- Richard Corben' collection. Superb hardcover collection with essays and covers too.

Mabs

Quote from: judgefett on 16 October, 2012, 03:59:00 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 14 October, 2012, 06:58:20 PM

Bigfoot is superb- track down the collected trade, its lovely and would make a great horror movie (its co-written by Steve Niles and Rob Zombie).
If you like Corben and horror Id suggest you track down the recent 'Creepy- Richard Corben' collection. Superb hardcover collection with essays and covers too.

Thanks for the tip mate!  I just love Corben's artwork, and the Bigfoot story was absolutely brilliant! Such a shame I can't get hold of the TPB :(

But i'll definitely have a look into the title you mentioned!

Cheers!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spikes

Quote from: Professah Byah on 14 October, 2012, 12:50:50 AM
Rosalie Lightning, cartoonist Tom Hart's attempt to make sense of the loss of his infant daughter to SIDS. http://issuu.com/tomhart/docs/rl-book1/1
I'm not sure if this is the entirety of it or if it's part of a greater whole, but either way it's affecting and heartbreaking stuff told with a brevity that really underlines rational people looking for sense or meaning in tragedy.  "Portents that are not portents" and "did she know she was leaving?" still get me.

Thanks for posting this, Prof. Just incredibly moving and very, very human.

Mabs

Quote from: Spicy Biscuit on 15 October, 2012, 03:33:26 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 15 October, 2012, 01:07:40 PM

I finished that series only a few months ago. Was a brilliant ride through and through. The art-style originally turned me off but I learned to appreciate the panel work. Makes me believe this book can easily work as an HBO television series.

Currently reading Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. Any time the terms crime and space sci-fi cross I latch onto it. Had a few hiccups in the beginning but it's slowly coming around for me.

As for comics I'm currently reading China Miéville's Dial H (have the first issue signed, sorted) which I highly recommend anyone to pick up if you enjoy the more bizarre aspects of cape comics and James Stokoe's Godzilla: The Half-Century War. You cannot go wrong with Stokoe, one of my favourite artists.

I concur mate, Y is something else entirely! I'm really enjoying it, I've just finished Book 3 today (which comprised of Vol 5 and 6); I thought it was bloody brilliant! And yes, Pia Guerra's artwork is superb. I was one of the ones that loved her style from the off. I've got Book 4 and 5 to go, unfortunately Amazon and The Book Depository are out of stock for Book 4; so i'll most probably have to skip to Book 5 which is a bummer.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

HdE

Agreed that Y: The Last Man is a real page turner. Definitely worth hunting down book 4. it's not the sort of series where you can really afford to miss anything.

Over here, I've decided that I really need to cut into my reading pile, as it has grown MONSTROUSLY out of control. So, presently, I'm reading through the Dredd case files vol 2, The complete Deadpool and Cable (or Cable and Deadpool, if you want to be picky) volume 2, as well as the Brian Reed halo comics. Gotta say - those are something a bit neat.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/