Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Having finally bought the nissing Charley's War volumes, i've begun a complete reread in preparation for the penultimate volume's publication in a week or so. Again, i'm convinced that this is the best comic strip to come out of britain, and yes, that does include Watchmen. Being disciples of Tharg here, we naturally discuss Pat Mills's side of things when CW gets mentioned, Joe Colquhoun never having sharpened his pencils for old green arse. However, with this reading i'm taking more notice of his art than ever before- in fact, this time i'm reading it FOR the art, as i know the story's beats off by heart now. Doing this has rendered it fresh and new all over again. His storytelling alone is masterful even divorced from his individual character designs and beautiful backgrounds. His poses are real and fluid, and the man had a grasp of lighting that ive only seen equalled elsewhere by David Lloyd. In short, while we may sometimes read interviews with Mills and wonder if he need to (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) sell Colquhoun's art QUITE so hard all the time, it's only when actually looking at it with fresh eyes that Mills's words become not just loyalty to a creator who gave him his greatest creative success, but genuine enthusiasm for an artist who has never been bettered. Mills raves about him, because he's worth raving about. And to think, there are people out there reading comics who think Jim Lee is good...

Just briliant, Charley's War is. Can you imagine what Pat and Joe could have done for 2000AD...

SBT

Spikes

Spot-on there, SBT. Those books are brilliant, arent they. Really do the series justice.
Back in the day, Johnny Red and Charleys War were firm faves of mine, for the simple reason that Joe had drawn them.

Saw some of his original art for sale a few years ago at a Sheffield Golden Orbit show (it may have been a page from Roy of the Rovers - did Joe ever draw for that strip?), and it was a pleasure just to hold it in my hands, and pore over it for a while.
One of the best.

Spikes

Had a bit of a shelf tidy up, and are now perusing various chapters in Wayne Kinseys two Hammer films books - the Bray studio years, and the Elstree studio years.

Dandontdare

Jeff Lemire's The Underwater Welder, based purely on recommendations a few pages back from Mabs  and Albion. I thought the title may be metaphorical, but no, turns out to actually be about a man who welds underwater. Cracking stuff, I can't do better than the cover quote "the best episode of the Twilight Zone you've never seen"; and I did shed a small tear at the end. Beautiful.

And did anyone spot the tiny Sweet Tooth cameo?  :D

Albion

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 October, 2012, 02:48:10 PM
Jeff Lemire's The Underwater Welder.......

Yes, loved that cameo. Glad you liked it. I also thought the title was going to be a metaphor for something.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Mabs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 October, 2012, 02:48:10 PM
Jeff Lemire's The Underwater Welder, based purely on recommendations a few pages back from Mabs  and Albion. I thought the title may be metaphorical, but no, turns out to actually be about a man who welds underwater. Cracking stuff, I can't do better than the cover quote "the best episode of the Twilight Zone you've never seen"; and I did shed a small tear at the end. Beautiful.

Glad you liked it mate, it really is a touching tale. By the way, I didn't spot the Sweet Tooth cameo! I must check my copy out right now! :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

I finished reading the Saga trade last night, and if there was one word to some it up it would be this;

WOW!

SAGA

I was totally blown away by it! Its like Star Wars for grown ups, and the characters - my god! In which other comic can you find characters as awesome and terrifying as The Stalk? Or cool and brooding as The Will? Or tree's that turn into rocket ships? Or a robot with erectile dysfunction?

It was such a cool read. And as I sit here right now, there's only one thought in my head and that is the question of when I will get to read the next volume, because upon finishing I wanted more. I almost dreaded to see it finish. So enthralled was I, immersed in the breath-taking universe that Vaughan had created.

The story revolves around two character's, Alana and Marko two soldiers from an opposite side of a galactic war between the planet 'Landfall' and it's moon 'Wreath' . Contrary to their races hostility to one another  - they fall in love. They conceive a baby daughter together called Hazel. But these are dangerous times, and bringing a fragile thing as this new life into the world does not go unnoticed. Soon Freelancer's (Bounty hunters/ assasins) and the Landfall military, lead by Robot Prince IV are on their trail.

Brian K Vaughan has created a stunning grown up science-fiction epic; his writing is very witty, and heartfelt aswell. You know you are witnessing something special when you start caring for the characters in the story, and worried about what happens to them. He is my favourite writer right now alongside Brandon Graham. I love his prior works such as Y The Last Man - it is one of the best comic series of recent memory. And Pride of Baghdad was a joy to read; stunning and heartbreaking in the same breadth. But with Saga he has started something very special indeed.

But the reason why Saga is such a revelation is due to Fiona Staples stunning artwork; it is absolutely superb. It is a joy to behold. Her style is very original, and her lettering is beautiful too - especially Hazel's account. Her cover art for each of the six issues in this volume are just gorgeous to look at and it is amazing to think she is responsible for everything, not only interior artwork but the covers and the lettering too. Holding this volume in my hand, I felt I was in possession of something very special indeed.

Aswell as Stapleton's artwork, another key reason why Saga is such a joy to read (as well as our protagonists journey), is all the weird and wonderful characters on show, chief among them being 'The Stalk'. She is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I almost had a heart attack when I turned the page and saw her standing there! But that was nothing compared to what was underneath that black dress. Another freelancer The Will was another excellent creation - he's like a brooding, bald Han Solo with a cat instead of Chewie - a cat which can tell if you're lying. Or the odd sex club hostesses we meet on Sextillion, resembling a giant head on a pair of legs! Or the TV headed robot's - and whats more, a 'Royal' robot with erectile dysfunction! These creations make Saga such a unique and fascinating read.

Image Comics are definitely on the ascendency right now -  with Elephantmen, Prophet and now Saga -  it has never been a better time to be a science fiction/ comic book fan than right now.

5/5

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Zarjazzer

I only ever managed to read one episode of SAGA as it was selling out quickly. Same with Planetoid another Image good 'un.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

Fables Vol 15: Rose Red.  I was an avid Fables trade reader for a while, then lost interest and wasn't encouraged back by Willingham's statements on certain geopolitical issues. However, this unread volume presented itself in the library, and despite having missed more than several books since I last dropped in, I thought it was a very good read. May well have to track down what I've missed.

High points: 
- Inaki Miranda's art on one of the middle chapters, gosh he's amazingly good! 
- Frau Totenkinder's duel, nicely sustained, and always one of my favourite characters.
Low points:
- The decision to put misty photo-realistic pictures of Rose Red in skimpy undies on almost all the covers, the tenuous link to the content being that Rose is bed-bound by grief.
- Repetitive plotting - more retreating, more babies-with-a-dark-secret.
- Snow still talks in complete speeches.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 October, 2012, 08:02:34 PM

Saw some of his original art for sale a few years ago at a Sheffield Golden Orbit show (it may have been a page from Roy of the Rovers - did Joe ever draw for that strip?), and it was a pleasure just to hold it in my hands, and pore over it for a while.
One of the best.

Yeah as I recall (and for the life of me I can't remember how I know this) he was the first artist on the title... in fact that might have been mentioned in one of the introductions to the glorious Charley's Wars books that everyone has rightly been saluting.

Mabs

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 21 October, 2012, 06:35:11 PM
I only ever managed to read one episode of SAGA as it was selling out quickly. Same with Planetoid another Image good 'un.

I'm not surprised! I really urge you to buy the trade, I bought mine for only £6.63 from The Book Depository - which is a bargain if you ask me!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Aonghus

I finished the Ballad of Halo Jones today. I finally see what all the fuss is about!

Davek

Recently finished the last part of the Sin Titulo web comic, which re-started after a long break not so long ago.  There were some great pages towards the end, but I felt the ending was a little underwhelming overall.

mygrimmbrother

Comics I'm currently enjoying include John Arcudi's excellent The Creep from Dark Horse, and in the continuing spirit of singing Image's praises, post-zombie-incident 'rural noir' Revival.

BPRD continues to tick all of my boxes and I look forward to it more than any other comic out there by miles.

The Saga trade is en route as we speak and I'm positively champing at the bit for it now  :)