Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

By the way, i had MAZE WORLD and STRONTIUM DOG: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF JOHNNY ALPHA delivered today! Cannot wait to get stuck in! : )
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Third Estate Ned

Just finished Total War and enjoyed the whole book thoroughly. The art is top quality throughout and although it looked familiar it didn't click that Jason Brashill was the hand of Tim Bisley until I looked him up after.

I'm sure I've seen worse in Dredd but for some reason the two instances of Judges [spoiler]bloodily inserting technology into people's heads and manipulating them for their own ends[/spoiler] really left me feeling uneasy. Even more so since Sonny seems so eager to recount the novelty of what he thinks happened to him. I suppose that's the element that drew me to the comic in the first place.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mabs on 31 October, 2012, 11:59:15 AM
Quote from: The Bissler on 25 October, 2012, 08:45:57 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 25 October, 2012, 08:40:02 PM
By the way, I'm reading Strontium Dog agency files 02 right now...

Really interested to see what you make of it, whether you agree with the favourable reports myself and many others gave it...

*Minor spoilers*

Fret not mate; i finished reading it last night and theres one word to sum it all up.....DROKKIN' AWESOME! Okay, thats two words but it was a fantastic read!

Wait till you get to vol. 3 and 'Rage' - your head will explode from thrillpower!

Aonghus

Just finished the Mechanismo TPB. A bit of an odd blend of old- and new-style Dredd (speaking from very little experience here), but it was interesting seeing a glimpse of McGruder's deterioration...

Davek

Reading the Cursed Earth at the moment (Dad gave me a bunch of my old 'Complete Judge Dredd' from his loft the other day).  Great escapism - love the McMahon art episodes (just been looking at his latest blog post - a rough sketch of Slaine).

Taryn Tailz

Just read the first fifty pages of the Harry Turtledove novel "Hitler's War". Haven't read any of Turtledove's work before but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Mabs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 November, 2012, 07:35:16 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 31 October, 2012, 11:59:15 AM
Quote from: The Bissler on 25 October, 2012, 08:45:57 PM
Quote from: Mabs lin=topic=24633.msg721784#msg721784 date=1351194002
By the way, I'm reading Strontium Dog agency files 02 right now...

Really interested to see what you make of it, whether you agree with the favourable reports myself and many others gave it...

*Minor spoilers*

Fret not mate; i finished reading it last night and theres one word to sum it all up.....DROKKIN' AWESOME! Okay, thats two words but it was a fantastic read!

Wait till you get to vol. 3 and 'Rage' - your head will explode from thrillpower!

Lol! I'll definitely make note of that! I finished reading Maze World earlier today and i was absolutely rivetted by Grants dark nightmarish fantasy storytelling coupled with Ranson's fu*king awesome artwork! Its a really dark story, with buckets of blood and some really powerful and fantastic imagery. When i got to the first double page spread - the one where Cadman tumbles into Maze World - seriously my jaws just hit the ground! I'm definitely going to give it a re-read soon.

I just started Judge Dredd Case File 14 a little while ago. Been meaning to read the Necropolis storyline for a long time now.

By the way, has anyone read Northlanders - in particular volume 3? It is bloody brilliant! The opening story had some of the most beautiful artwork i have seen in comics (by Dean Ormston)! The two page spread of the viking ships coming ashore and the figure of the little boy in the background - just took my breath away!

Oh, just remembered- i also finished Snyder's Swamp Thing vol 1 yesterday, it was a really entertaining read. Really enjoyable stuff especially the awesome artwork by Yanick Paquette. Highly recommended!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

SmallBlueThing

Mark Millar's run on Swamp Thing. Starting with (vol 2) #140, his first four were co-written with Grant Morrison, and to be honest aren't very good. However, as soon as he dumps Morrison (who pootles off to write The Invisibles) things take off and we are treated to an extended run of Millar trying to shock. You may find this adolescent and irritating and indicative of Millar's childishness as a writer, but i do not. I enjoy writers trying to upset their audience- in fact, 75% of the things i love could be grumpily summed up in such terms.

Anyway, last night i went through #140 to #150. Hopefully i'll be able to crack on with the next five tonight and so on until i finish the run on wednesday, at which point i will go back and attempt the previously-avoided Nancy Collins issues :-/

SBT

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mikey on 26 October, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 October, 2012, 09:47:20 PM
Always see the Solaris ads on the back of the prog, but the one for Helix Wars jumped out at me, so I've bought the first one (Helix) to give it a try. If I enjoy it I can see me grabbing some of the other Solaris books that look interesting, I'm trying to take a random punt on sci-fi novels lately.

Love to know what you think - I've only ever read his short fiction (which I really like) so have been thinking about picking this up too. 

I haven't read any prose in the last 3 months or so, it's been all comics! Have had a blast through a bunch of 2000ad trades and am now reading book six of Moore's Swamp Thing. Really didn't care for the Adam Strange/Rann yarn to start with and was just a bit meh about Loving the Alien. There were far too many words and it seemed very self concious and I just didn't get it overall. Finished last night with All Flesh is Grass which was much more up my bayou and what I want from Swampy - a bit mental, a bit scary, all depicted with no little expertise by Veitch, Alcala and Wood. Put me in mind of Barker's In the hills, in the cities which is no bad thing either.

M.

Blown away by Helix, would wholeheartedly recommend it! Really interesting world, some properly big ideas and great characters. I was totally gripped and have bought the sequel, it's the kind of world-building stuff where you're really intrigued to see where else he takes it. Will definitely give more of his stuff a go, and some other Solaris books that look interesting.

Mikey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 November, 2012, 10:27:54 AM
Blown away by Helix, would wholeheartedly recommend it!

Hurray! I think I'll put that on me letter to Santa this year then.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Spicy Biscuit

Was finally able to start digging back through the Hellboy trades. I really love the pop culture like take on the paranormal and folklore, Mignola knows what he's doing.

Mabs

Quote from: Spicy Biscuit on 04 November, 2012, 12:57:51 PM
Was finally able to start digging back through the Hellboy trades. I really love the pop culture like take on the paranormal and folklore, Mignola knows what he's doing.

I drokkin love the big red ape! Some really cool stories over the years and the talents involved is insane. I'm just re-reading vol 10: The Crooked Man right now. Corbens artwork is really special, atmospheric and creepy to boot. Its one of my favourite Hellboy stories.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 November, 2012, 09:00:05 AM
Mark Millar's run on Swamp Thing. Starting with (vol 2) #140, his first four were co-written with Grant Morrison, and to be honest aren't very good. However, as soon as he dumps Morrison (who pootles off to write The Invisibles) things take off and we are treated to an extended run of Millar trying to shock. You may find this adolescent and irritating and indicative of Millar's childishness as a writer, but i do not. I enjoy writers trying to upset their audience- in fact, 75% of the things i love could be grumpily summed up in such terms.

Anyway, last night i went through #140 to #150. Hopefully i'll be able to crack on with the next five tonight and so on until i finish the run on wednesday, at which point i will go back and attempt the previously-avoided Nancy Collins issues :-/

SBT

I've still to read Millar's run. I'll definitely keep an eye out!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

SmallBlueThing

Finishing the last two tonight, but it's definitely my fabvourite swamp thing run after moore.

SBT

Spikes

The Third World War: The Untold Story by Sir John Hackett.
Snagged a cheap copy off of E-bay, after catching a link which led to this, over on the political thread.
Its the follow-up to his 1978 book - The Third World War: August 1985. [spoiler]Its a good, if a little dry, telling of a fictional conventionally fought third world war, that only becomes a (limited) nuclear one, as the Soviets face defeat.[/spoiler]

Funny how, though written in the early 80's, certain political attitutes, depicted in the book, are still very much present today. Somethings never change, i guess