Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davek

Just finished reading Cursed Earth saga (great art from McMahon, but story a little dated).  Just started The Day The Law Died - loving the Chief Judge Cal mentalness  :lol:

dweezil2

In the process of reading Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss.
Slow start, but hotting up and getting quite gripping.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mabs

Just finished The Judge Child Quest (from Case File 04) and theres just one word to sum it up......WOW!

An absolutely brilliant and hilarious thrill ride! How could you not love the first introduction of the Angel gang and Hershey?! Not to mention Judge Lopez' magnificent tache! Or the Jigsaw disease or micro judges! :D and all the weird and wonderful creatures and worlds on show. All brilliantly realised by some mesmerising artwork - some of the best stuff i've seen in the case files.

I absolutely loved it! So much so i was really gutted to see it end  :(

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spikes

Quote from: Mabs on 12 November, 2012, 01:27:56 PM
Just finished The Judge Child Quest (from Case File 04) and theres just one word to sum it up......WOW!

Good call! The Judge Child Quest, for me, has always felt like the forgotten Dredd epic.
Perhaps being equidistant between the twin titans that are the Cursed Earth, and the Apocalypse War, its often overshadowed a wee bit. As you say, there's just so much good stuff on show. Highlights for me are the Jigsaw Man episodes (the first time i really took notice of, and rated TBH, Mr Bollands art) and the episode featuring the Alien salesman (again, the first time that Ron Smith's work really grabbed hold of me).

Be nice if IDW gave this a deluxe reprinting.

TordelBack

Grant Morrison's Supergods showed up in the library today, so I pounced.  Now I like most of Grant's work a lot, and will give almost anything of his a go, but in the author's photo on this one he appeared to cosplaying Neo circa Matrix Reloaded, and I confess all I want to do is punch that stupid face.  Best get this one read quickly.

Mabs

Quote from: Judge Jack on 12 November, 2012, 05:05:50 PM

Good call! The Judge Child Quest, for me, has always felt like the forgotten Dredd epic.
Perhaps being equidistant between the twin titans that are the Cursed Earth, and the Apocalypse War, its often overshadowed a wee bit. As you say, there's just so much good stuff on show. Highlights for me are the Jigsaw Man episodes (the first time i really took notice of, and rated TBH, Mr Bollands art) and the episode featuring the Alien salesman (again, the first time that Ron Smith's work really grabbed hold of me).

The Jigsaw Man and the alien salesman were my favourite moments! And i agree- Bollands artwork is magnificent, same as Ron Smith and Mike McMahon's.

And i concur, it would be great if we were to get a deluxe hardcover edition of this aweseome epic! I would order it without question. In terms of the enjoyment factor i would honestly rate this above the Apocalypse War.

Absolutely brilliany stuff!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

On the train just now finished reading the 'Sister Brothers' absolutely great book. I'm a fan of the western and so when you get one that feels true to its roots and offers such so much more its an absolute delight. Fantastic book.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 November, 2012, 06:51:06 PM
Grant Morrison's Supergods showed up in the library today, so I pounced.  Now I like most of Grant's work a lot, and will give almost anything of his a go, but in the author's photo on this one he appeared to cosplaying Neo circa Matrix Reloaded, and I confess all I want to do is punch that stupid face.  Best get this one read quickly.

Go straight to the bit where he talks about losing his hair and use that one moment of humility to see you through the rest of the book. I enjoyed it.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Mabs on 12 November, 2012, 08:55:03 PM

The Jigsaw Man and the alien salesman were my favourite moments! And i agree- Bollands artwork is magnificent, same as Ron Smith and Mike McMahon's.

And i concur, it would be great if we were to get a deluxe hardcover edition of this aweseome epic! I would order it without question. In terms of the enjoyment factor i would honestly rate this above the Apocalypse War.

It just so happens I reread it for the first time in two decades this weekend, and while I was awestruck at how good the artwork was/is, I think my rosetinted nostalgic reading specs had made me think it was more of an epic than it actually is.  Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can understand why it's the forgotten Dredd epic, because it seems so surreal, and so far removed from events in and around Mega City One.  In fact, I found the best writing to be [spoiler]at the end when the Council of Five were sat around the table discussing Dredd's decision[/spoiler].

That said, it's still recommended reading!

This weekend I also read:
Bone: Out of Boneville - a lot of fun!
1602 - A fun little Gaiman take on Elizabethan Marvel characters.
Blankets - A very bittersweet personal recounting of an artist's first love.  That took me back to my teens, I tell you!
Habibi - Also by Craig Thomson, author of Blankets.  An epic tale of love from childhood in a very harsh environment.  Very good.

I also read a really good vampire graphic novel, but I can't remember the name of it.  I devoured it quickly in my local library while my kids were in Taekwondo.  It was certainly better than True Blood anyway!

So yeah, I've been on a complete graphic novel bender over the last few days.  It's been great!  I love libraries.

radiator

I remember reading an interview with Morrison in which he claimed he shaved his head by choice, not out of necessity because he was going bald, and I remember thinking 'chinny reckon'.

Professor Bear

I found Supergods problematic for Morrison's image as it really dispels the notion of him as a punk indy outsider eventually cracking the mainstream, tracking as it does his career through one high-profile gig after another and explaining how he was motivated to engage with many projects on the basis of how much money he could make in the long run.  He does come off as very mercenary, and his comments about Stan Lee and Marvel - while not unreasonable - seem like a mix of sour grapes and corporate shilling for DC.  He also seems very coy about debts to Alan Moore - his JLA and All Star Superman's debt to Moore's Supreme passes without comment, which is a little disappointing given Morrison's recent enthusiasm to accuse Moore of not acknowledging debts to earlier writers.

Davek

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 November, 2012, 09:13:58 PM
On the train just now finished reading the 'Sister Brothers' absolutely great book. I'm a fan of the western and so when you get one that feels true to its roots and offers such so much more its an absolute delight. Fantastic book.

I enjoyed the book. Felt like the Western the Coen brothers should have made.

Richmond Clements

Finished reading The Underwater Welder at lunchtime.
It really is quite brilliant. Very emotional, very very moving and it looks astounding.

Mabs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 November, 2012, 12:20:25 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 12 November, 2012, 08:55:03 PM

It just so happens I reread it for the first time in two decades this weekend, and while I was awestruck at how good the artwork was/is, I think my rosetinted nostalgic reading specs had made me think it was more of an epic than it actually is.  Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can understand why it's the forgotten Dredd epic, because it seems so surreal, and so far removed from events in and around Mega City One.  In fact, I found the best writing to be [spoiler]at the end when the Council of Five were sat around the table discussing Dredd's decision[/spoiler].

That said, it's still recommended reading!

This weekend I also read:
Bone: Out of Boneville - a lot of fun!
1602 - A fun little Gaiman take on Elizabethan Marvel characters.
Blankets - A very bittersweet personal recounting of an artist's first love.  That took me back to my teens, I tell you!
Habibi - Also by Craig Thomson, author of Blankets.  An epic tale of love from childhood in a very harsh environment.  Very good.

I also read a really good vampire graphic novel, but I can't remember the name of it.  I devoured it quickly in my local library while my kids were in Taekwondo.  It was certainly better than True Blood anyway!

So yeah, I've been on a complete graphic novel bender over the last few days.  It's been great!  I love libraries.

I agree Judge Child is quite surreal, but i feel thats the reason why i enjoyed it so much! I found it more entertaining and engaging than a couple of the other epics i've read. I think so far my list would look like this on terms of favourites;

1. The Cursed Earth (Saga)
2. The Day the Law Died
3. The Judge Child (Quest)
4. Apocalypse War
5. Necropolis
6. Block War

I've yet to read the Days of Chaos storyline, so the list is subject to change.

By the way great to see you've read Habibi! It's an absolute beauty of a graphic novel. Craig Thompson's artwork including the Arabic caligraphy and imagery is just breathtaking to look at. His main objective was to show the shared heritage of Christianity and Islam. The story is really engaging and moving. I loved the moment with the the fisherman! Its also really shocking in places especially the....you'll know which part i'm talking about!

I've still to read Blankets however, i'll have to add it to my shopping list soon.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 November, 2012, 02:30:47 PM
Finished reading The Underwater Welder at lunchtime.
It really is quite brilliant. Very emotional, very very moving and it looks astounding.

Some well documented and deserved love for this on the forum.
Graphic novel of 2012?