Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 November, 2012, 02:37:42 PM
I finished The Bodysnatchers just the other day.

It really is a good read.

This may seem blasphemous, but I think I largely prefer the 70s film remake though.

Been a while since ive read the PB - think ive got the 70's remake in fotonovel form as well! Ah Fotonovels - remember those? , so once my decks are cleared ill have to dig it out, and no its not wrong to prefer the 70's remake of the film. Glorious

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 28 November, 2012, 10:16:20 PM
Chance Meetings collects the Vertigo miniseries and the OGN Final Cut. Second Chances collects issues #1-10 of the ongoing series. #11-21 were never collected.

Well there's a glaring omission on DC's part. Some more great stories in the vault that need to get out there. Isn't there a TV series or something as well at the moment? Mind I suppose the series might be very different to the comics and hence they're keeping it under wraps?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 November, 2012, 08:53:51 AM
I've just finished reading Pete Milligan's entire run of Human Target from the mini series to the end of the ongoing (thanks in large to 'The Cosh' of these parts, a BIG thanks as you will see.) and I have to say its stunning. Absolutely stunning a quite brilliant piece of work. ...
It covers a lot of the the themes of identity that Milligan uses so often in his work.
Glad to hear how much you liked it Colin. As I said at the time, I found it to be more of a tepid reheat of his previous stuff than the distillation you've experienced.

Quote from: Colin_YNWAIsn't there a TV series or something as well at the moment? Mind I suppose the series might be very different to the comics and hence they're keeping it under wraps?
I watched a couple of episodes and it was more of a straightforward detective/adventure series with none of the psychological elements of the comic you've just read. I assume, if it bares any relation to the source material, it's to the original comics but I have nothing to base this on. I'd say Dollhouse actually made a pretty decent stab at exploring some similar ideas on telly.
We never really die.

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

von Boom

Just finished the last volume of the English translation of Oishinbo by Tetsu Kariya and drawn by Akira Hanasaki.

The seven volumes comprise only a small portion of Oishinbo since it has been in publication since 1983. If you like Japanese food or culture give it a try.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 November, 2012, 01:29:20 PM

Glad to hear how much you liked it Colin. As I said at the time, I found it to be more of a tepid reheat of his previous stuff than the distillation you've experienced.

I was hoping you'd pop along and see my wittering. Yeah I can defo see how the way you read it is a very valid take on the series. I guess I just need me Milligan stripped down otherwise it confuses me noggin! Of course the selfish side of me is very glad you didn't get on with it, as otherwise I'd have probably not got my grubby mitts on it. It comes from the back end of my wilderness years from comics and there's so much from that period I've never caught up with (to this day not a single page of Preacher) I doubt it'd have hit my radar yet.

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 November, 2012, 01:29:20 PM
I watched a couple of episodes and it was more of a straightforward detective/adventure series with none of the psychological elements of the comic you've just read. I assume, if it bares any relation to the source material, it's to the original comics but I have nothing to base this on. I'd say Dollhouse actually made a pretty decent stab at exploring some similar ideas on telly.

Heard a lot about that show. Don't get so much time for tv these day, so many comics to read, but might try to catch this... but that's for another thread.

Thanks again Cosh (or do you prefer The Cosh?) always meant to ask!

Emp

THE DRESDEN FILES - STORM WARNING

First book of the Dresden Files - actually quite good despite the back cover blog of " the best post Buffy series..."

Done in first person, it has elements of Bogey and our Sam C Slade and is quite an easy read, finished it in a few days.

This first book hints at a lot of the backstory, which i assume will be cleared up in subsequent books.

There was a tv show based on the book that  i remembered .....but after a quick youtube search i can understand why it got canned.

Kerrin

I've just finished "The Nao of Brown" by Glyn Dillon from Self Made Hero. It is, without going in to hugely hyperbolic frothing nerdism, one of the best things I have ever read in any format. Beautiful (incredibly well observed artwork), upsetting, fascinating, cruel, funny, thought provoking, cute, ugly and above all brilliant. It shines.

Link Prime

Quote from: Kerrin on 02 December, 2012, 12:09:00 PM
I've just finished "The Nao of Brown" by Glyn Dillon from Self Made Hero. It is, without going in to hugely hyperbolic frothing nerdism, one of the best things I have ever read in any format. Beautiful (incredibly well observed artwork), upsetting, fascinating, cruel, funny, thought provoking, cute, ugly and above all brilliant. It shines.

That's the 4th incidental occasion I've read a rave review for this.
It's just made 'Dradis contact' on my wish list nerdar.

judda fett

Picked up the collected 'Ragemoor' hardback the other day by Jan Strnad and Richard Corben as I only came across a couple of issues of the comic itself. Great Lovecraftian horror fare, well reccomended.

SmallBlueThing

Not so much reading as listening to (because, as a man who reads comics, im too thick to read a book, at least according to the uk 'quality' newspapers and that Coren twat) various unabridged readings of HP Lovecraft at the moment. Started with Ianto off Torchwood having a good stab at The Call of Cthulhu- which, despite finding the long words problematic and the sentences too long for him to keep up a single tone of expression, meaning often sentences would start in one manner and then become menacing halfway through as he realised the intent, i thoroughly enjoyed. Halfway through an epic four and half hour reading of AtMoM at the moment. Ive found them curiously powerful and, despite the lack of any type of audio enhancement, extremely frightening.

SBT

Richmond Clements

AtMoM is a work of unparrallelled genius. In a story where, to be honest, nothing much happens, there is an amzing sense of all prevading dread running through the whole thing.

SmallBlueThing

There certainly is- as im finding with many of Lovecraft's 'mythos' stories, Call of Cthulhu especially. That very much put the wind up me. However, the antarctic locations of AtMoM would sell it to me even if the story were pants. As it is, the most overpoweringly beautiful and frightening place on earth gets the most overpoweringly beautiful and frightening story Lovecraft wrote.

SBT

Hawkmumbler

I have this collection of HPL story's including many of his Mythos builders and it's zeh absolute shitz!

Kerrin

I've got that as well Hawkmonger. It's a great collection with some excellent illustrations. It may have been a mistake to read it all in one go though. Haven't quite felt right since. There's this strange buzzing noise like vast cosmic wasps coming from the fridge and some joker keeps writing "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah,nagl fhtagn" on the bathroom mirror with soap.

I think it might be me...