Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Kerrin on 03 December, 2012, 10:30:12 PM
It may have been a mistake to read it all in one go though. Haven't quite felt right since. There's this strange buzzing noise like vast cosmic wasps coming from the fridge and some joker keeps writing "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah,nagl fhtagn" on the bathroom mirror with soap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGTEOrX_I08
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing

I love you guys. If i didnt have absolutely no room in my house for any more cult scifi/ horror nonsense, i'd be buying up everything i could find even remotely linked to Lovecraft. I've read him periodically my entire life- i even remember a whiskey-and-heart-pills evening with Brian Lumley talking about him and his work- but it's never really clickewith me as it has done this time. I feel like im drowning in it- but it's a very pleasant way to go.

Off to listen to second half of AtMoM. Those who havent, check out cthulhulives.org (or .com, whichever) for where my obsession is likely to take me...

SBT

Ancient Otter

Quote from: judda fett on 03 December, 2012, 11:02:08 AM
Picked up the collected 'Ragemoor' hardback the other day by Jan Strnad and Richard Corben as I only came across a couple of issues of the comic itself. Great Lovecraftian horror fare, well reccomended.

Really enjoyed this too. Wonder if he has any new stories lined up next year.

judda fett

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 03 December, 2012, 10:44:56 PM
Quote from: judda fett on 03 December, 2012, 11:02:08 AM
Picked up the collected 'Ragemoor' hardback the other day by Jan Strnad and Richard Corben as I only came across a couple of issues of the comic itself. Great Lovecraftian horror fare, well reccomended.

Really enjoyed this too. Wonder if he has any new stories lined up next year.

I hope so. Ancient Otter there is a collection of Corbens work for Creepy that came out recently, a handsome hardback tome definately worth a look. Also an adaptation of the Conqueror Worm by Poe is out now (one off comic) plus a recent Dark Horse Presents and also Creepy anthologys have both included Corben stories.

Professor Bear

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 December, 2012, 10:37:56 PM
I love you guys. If i didnt have absolutely no room in my house for any more cult scifi/ horror nonsense, i'd be buying up everything i could find even remotely linked to Lovecraft.

You'll want the kids to explain these new-fangled videogames to you, then, and get yourself a copy of Fallout 3: Game of the Year.  I've had mates with only cursory interest in videogames asking "What the fuck was THAT about?" in relation to wandering around "The Dunwich Building" seeing momentary glimpses of the pre-war occupants (the only time and place in the entire game where something like this happens) and getting shit up, then frustrated at the game not explaining things to them.  You can piece together what's going on only if you're a Lovecraft fan because it isn't a quest or anything in the game, it's just one huge, sprawling Lovecraft Easter egg homage set in a retro-futurism version of post-holocaust America.

Link Prime

Quote from: Unicorn Bukakke on 05 December, 2012, 04:21:38 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 December, 2012, 10:37:56 PM
I love you guys. If i didnt have absolutely no room in my house for any more cult scifi/ horror nonsense, i'd be buying up everything i could find even remotely linked to Lovecraft.

You'll want the kids to explain these new-fangled videogames to you, then, and get yourself a copy of Fallout 3: Game of the Year.  I've had mates with only cursory interest in videogames asking "What the fuck was THAT about?" in relation to wandering around "The Dunwich Building" seeing momentary glimpses of the pre-war occupants (the only time and place in the entire game where something like this happens) and getting shit up, then frustrated at the game not explaining things to them.  You can piece together what's going on only if you're a Lovecraft fan because it isn't a quest or anything in the game, it's just one huge, sprawling Lovecraft Easter egg homage set in a retro-futurism version of post-holocaust America.

And its f-ckin brilliant to boot.

shaolin_monkey

I always wondered what that was about! I left that building freaked out, but scratching my head in bewilderment. Now I know!

Professor Bear

I'm pretty sure no-one but Lovecraft fans would get that you have to retrieve a book written by "Alhazred", but you couldn't get the book until after the Point Lookout DLC was released as you had to travel to Maryland to find Blackhall Mansion (another Lovecraft reference).

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 December, 2012, 05:29:28 PMAnd its f-ckin brilliant to boot.

Yes.

Yes it is.

NorthVox

Read Judge Dredd Year One: City Fathers on my Kindle the other day. Great stuff, nice break from my other not so easy read, Plato's The Republic.

Mabs

A few days ago i finished reading Jeff Smith's BONE: ONE VOLUME EDITION and was absolutely blown away. A beautiful, stunning, heartfelt, funny masterpiece. Smiley Bone and his friendship with Bartleby just melted my heart! Theres a moment in the comic he has to say goodbye to Bartleby (well not a proper one as he doesn't get the opportunity to say it) and he stands there, a feeling of sadness and woe which is visible by his body language. It just broke my f***ing heart.  :( This emotion i felt for all the characters in this beautiful graphic novel was definitely down to Smith's mesmerising artwork and writing. Its been called Disney meets Lord of the Rings but BONE is so much more.

After finishing this giant 1300 page book, i bought the prequel to it; ROSE, which i finished reading the other day. Although Jeff Smith isn't on artistic duties, nonetheless Charles Vess' beautiful painted artwork is magnificent.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Uh a re-read of Bone is getting very close to the top of my read list and I can't wait, I love it.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: judda fett on 05 December, 2012, 04:05:26 PMI hope so. Ancient Otter there is a collection of Corbens work for Creepy that came out recently, a handsome hardback tome definately worth a look. Also an adaptation of the Conqueror Worm by Poe is out now (one off comic) plus a recent Dark Horse Presents and also Creepy anthologys have both included Corben stories.

Thanks for the heads up Judda Fett. Have the Dark Horse Creepy collection, the Murky World collection from Dark Horse Presents and The Conqueror Worm is on the way to me. Going to track down Starr The Slayer and the Haunts of Horror Omnibus. Have his A Boy and His Dog adaptation of the Harlan Ellison stories, Vic and Blood from years ago too. But the amount of his work that is out of print is shocking.

GordyM

The new Robert Rankin novel 'The Educated Ape' is fantastic. How can you go wrong with a story that features a talking monkey detective?
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Zarjazzer

Meltdown Man a toothy classic I don't really remember so it all seems new to me. A very much old school writing with explain the panel dialogue (that I secretly love) and mad art from Belardinnelli it's a rip roaring fast spaced read with british S.A.S man Stone nuked into the furry future where wicked humans oppress the human/animal hybrids mahhnn.

Really good fun and i haven't finished it yet.Great cover art as well.

Also No More Heroes 4 by GordyM of these here boards.A fantastic twist that I never saw coming wraps the final episode up in a fine read that puts many a Big 2 comic to shame.This is a very clever book and I hope there's a new series.Quite a moral tale as well.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

Meltdown Man is just brilliant. Massimo at his very best, and a cracking story to boot.
A definite firm favourite of mine.

And unbelievably, this chap is just a few pages away from owning it all!